Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is one of the more bizarre suggestions I've ever heard. Why on earth would anyone do this?
To stop the crap people post before it's released. You cannot use the average stars for some time because they are just wrong. This would hopefully stop that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:19 AM   #77
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have no problem reviewing an actual ARC as long as it is noted ( feedback from an ARC might cause editorial changes).
But I have issue with 'reviews' that were written without reading THAT BOOK.

Authors output varies, even within series (hoo boy!).
#1) I want a Synopsis of that book.
#2) Maybe where it fits in the series if reading order is necessary
#3) Leave out all the other hype. Your Tastes are not Mine. Fine. It does not help either of us to know what we thought (taste). OTOH If I DO want to know about abysmal spell checking, format (not just ugly code). Major Flaws that should have been caught.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #78
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To stop the crap people post before it's released. You cannot use the average stars for some time because they are just wrong. This would hopefully stop that.
The idea of a review embargo to three weeks after publication is just utter bilge. It's never going to happen. People read on release day, people read ARCs before release day. And a bookseller-linked site banning reviews in the prime selling time for a book? Please.

I think y'all need to go get together and start your own book reviewing site with all these rules. Good luck with that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I've come up with a better idea. Before the book is published, set up some ARC versions and only allow those to rated/reviewed and every other version not at all until released. The ARC versions would not count towards the ratings/reviews for the other editions but you could still have a look at them if you wanted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #80
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
And if you want to read reviews on a site that provides a 'verified' tag on reviews of people who have bought that book from Amazon, you can. Why are you being so doltishly insistent that other sites must also follow this exact model? If you don't like the way GR does things, don't go there.

And again (and again, and again, because I'm no longer hopeful that you'll get this), while a 'verified' tag does confirm that that person bought that book from Amazon, the LACK of a 'verified' tag DOES NOT MEAN THEY DO NOT HAVE THE BOOK. Predictive value positive is somewhat reasonable. Predictive value negative is zero.
Yes, why ever would anyone want to express why and how a service could be improved in their eyes.

Again again AGAIN AGAIN to infinitum, because you seem doltishly set on it, I never said the LACK of a verified tag meant they DID not purchase it, however the INCLUSION of such a tag DOES MEAN THE BOOK WAS PURCHASED.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon's "Verified" reviews are often for an older product, a different version or a different edition or format of a book. They are also notorious.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #82
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon's "Verified" reviews are often for an older product, a different version or a different edition or format of a book. They are also notorious.
True though it’s less the case with speculative fiction and literature, even books in general, than it is for other products. Particularly products from no name brands.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:52 PM   #83
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My way of dealing with the average star rating is to ignore it. Because (a) I know how it works, and (b) I don't care what some random person thinks a book should be rated.

The GR community has hashed the star system over again and again and again. It's not going to change. All you can change is your reaction to it.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:29 AM   #84
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My way of dealing with the average star rating is to ignore it. Because (a) I know how it works, and (b) I don't care what some random person thinks a book should be rated.

The GR community has hashed the star system over again and again and again. It's not going to change. All you can change is your reaction to it.
This is not about how the books are rated. It is about reviews and ratings of books that are not available to be reviewed. In most cases, books that are unlikely ever to be published. Such as a review of RAH's The Stone Pillow that was removed from GR years back.

Edit: Since you seem to be unable to comprehend the difference between reviews and ratings of books that are not published as yet (and may never be published) so the "reviewer" can not have read them and ratings and reviews of books based on ARCs or similar early releases, perhaps you should spend some time attempting to comprehend that difference.

Perhaps taking a look at Goodread's information for George R. R. Martin's The Winds of Winter or A Dream of Spring. The first is available on Kobo, the second is available on Amazon.ca going by the supplied links.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-02-2022 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Edit: added comment
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #85
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This is not about how the books are rated. It is about reviews and ratings of books that are not available to be reviewed.
"(a) I know how it works." I know how GR uses star ratings: they let the user define what they mean for themselves. I know that having read the book is not required for someone to allocate it stars. I know that the book existing is not required for someone to allocate it stars. People use them for all different sorts of reasons.

I get that some people get very agitated about this tiny bit of anarchy, but it's not going to change. You can die mad about it, or just ignore it.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #86
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Amazon is full of fake reviews for products. So it's not a great surprise that an Amazon-owned entity - Goodreads - would be full of fake reviews too. It is what it is. We'll just have to start applying the standard "fake review filter". Ignore all the five star reviews. Ignore all the one star reviews. Quickly glance over what remains and see if you can find something that sounds like it was written by someone of intelligence and integrity. Not always possible to find one of these good reviews, but the game is to try.

Mostly I just ignore book reviews though. They are too subjective, too dependent on personal tastes and biases, and can be driven by an agenda as much as anything else. A three line plot summary, just to get a basic idea of what the book is about, is more useful to me. Even just keywords - example: "adventure, lost island, dinosaurs" - often do the job better than some would-be expert criticizing the author for incorrectly identifying T-Rex teeth as being 4" long rather than 3" (there are lots of reviews like that).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #87
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I don't see a need to see a book having to be owned. But it should either be marked Read or DNF before it can be reviewed. But you should not be able to add a book and then mark it finished right after that. At least 24 hours should be the minimum time.
Why not? Last J.D. Robb's and Jayne Castle's books, I've gotten them through the library and have gone directly to my ereader, without going to goodreads. I've read them (in less than those 24 hours you say, shoot me, I'm a fast reader if I like the book) and marked as read with rating in goodreads. So, for your peace of mind, I should add the book just when I get it and only add a rating after 24 hours of marking it even if I've read it before. Sorry, no way.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #88
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
And about the verified label... there was a functionality in goodreads, which allowed to mark a book as owned, the purchase date and the place where you have purchased it. It was demoted a lot of time ago, and the screen disappeared, but you could keep on adding info through the API (I coded a calibre plugin for that). As of September, all the info has disappeared, the API has been removed and the functionality has been vanished. So, I think there is not a lot of interest in ownership.
Aditionally, I don't know which is the info they get but you can link your goodreads account to your amazon account and, in theory, they sync things.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #89
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I've only half-skimmed most of the thread, but does Goodreads allow reviews to be made without a star rating? I imagine a simple fix for people posting 5-star "I AM EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK!!!" on yet-unreleased ones would be to simply have an option to not have a rating.

Though I suspect there's plenty of idjits who'd do it anyways.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:42 PM   #90
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've only half-skimmed most of the thread, but does Goodreads allow reviews to be made without a star rating?
Yes..
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote