Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 12:16 AM   #76
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
A minor suggestion: It'd look a little better if "Reindex New Books" and "Reindex All Books" were side-by-side, instead of each of them on their own line.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #77
Terry Brown
Enthusiast
Terry Brown began at the beginning.

Device: M1 Max Mac Studio, iPad Pro 2018 12.9, iPhone 7
I have about 1,000 books. Using a 2018 i7 Mac mini with 64GB of ram, the indexing really only took a few minutes (certainly less than 10). However, even though I said to index only epub, it also wanted to index three books I have that are pdf format. Trying to convert those books has taken an hour and a half and still isn't done.

I am surprised that it tries to convert pdf when I only selected epub.
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #78
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've not had that problem. I have CBZ disabled for indexing and it never tries to index them.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #79
jpijper
Enthusiast
jpijper began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook HD3 (PB632)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've not had that problem. I have CBZ disabled for indexing and it never tries to index them.
And I have only epub selected and it leaves the rest alone ...
jpijper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #80
Terry Brown
Enthusiast

In the 'options' tab, I selected only epub to index. I have three books that only have pdf format and which calibre fails to convert. The search plugin tries to extract text from these books and it literally takes hours. It's now a moot point since, after the initial indexing, I only need to index new books.

A separate question. After performing a search, the books that contain the search term are listed and each has a thumbtack mark on the left side of the listing. When I close the search, the marks stay with the books. How do I clear those marks? The only way I have figured out is to search for something that isn't found in any books.
Advert
Old 10-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #81
Terry Brown
Enthusiast

Well, I just discovered that my indexing problem was user error, but I will comment about it since it points out an interesting UI issue.

When I bring up the options window, the list of formats shows all the formats with a grey background and it says "index book formats:" When I clicked on 'epub', the epub line was now highlighted with a white background, and the rest of the formats were highlighted in green. I wondered about this, but assumed that I had just selected epub as the format to process.

I was wrong. All formats are apparently selected to be processed by default and I had deselected epub while leaving all other formats selected.

The UI here leaves a bit to be desired for me. First, it is disconcerting that the highlight colors change from grey to green if I click to select a format, or if I simply click to scroll the view. I don't know what this means. Specifically, I didn't realize that all formats were selected (and highlighted, first in grey, then in green) by default. When I click to select a format, the highlight changes, so I assume I have selected that format.

I did not realize I was deselecting formats instead of selecting them. Maybe a checkbox would be more effective in communicating selection than a highlight, especially since the highlight changes colors.

Anyway, once I understood this, cleared all formats, and then selected epub, everything worked fine. On my machine it took less than five minutes to index the library, and search are essentially instantaneous. Nice!
Old 10-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #82
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Brown View Post
In the 'options' tab, I selected only epub to index. I have three books that only have pdf format and which calibre fails to convert. The search plugin tries to extract text from these books and it literally takes hours. It's now a moot point since, after the initial indexing, I only need to index new books.

A separate question. After performing a search, the books that contain the search term are listed and each has a thumbtack mark on the left side of the listing. When I close the search, the marks stay with the books. How do I clear those marks? The only way I have figured out is to search for something that isn't found in any books.
There's a toolbar/context menu option for "Mark" and you can clear them from that.

If you can't find one go to Calibre Preferences > Toolbars and Menus.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #83
Terry Brown
Enthusiast

Quote:
There's a toolbar/context menu option for "Mark" and you can clear them from that.

If you can't find one go to Calibre Preferences > Toolbars and Menus.
Thanks. I was looking for metadata called marked.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #84
jpijper
Enthusiast
jpijper began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook HD3 (PB632)
I want to thank you for this utility - it does exactly what I was looking for, and it does it very quickly - once the initial indexing is done.

My only comments/feature requests have to do with user-friendliness and user feedback:

1. When I enter a search term and then click the "Search" button there is basically no feedback at all. It would be good to know that searching has started, or indexing of new books or whatever. It would also be good to be told when the search is finished, e.g. a dialog box telling me that searching is complete, that X out of Y books have been found satisfying the search criteria, an OK button to list the books found in the grid and a "Refine search" button if I want to work more on the search criteria.

2. Changed size and/or position of the Search dialog window are not saved.

3. I would appreciate it if the last 10 or so search terms used were saved and made available in a dropdown.

4. The text in the Readme dialog has lines that are too long to read without scrolling right and left, and the dialog cannot be resized.

5. In the Options dialog, it would be much clearer if the book formats to be indexed were listed with checkboxes - as Terry Brown already suggested.

Even so, I'm already having a lot of fun with Power Search!
jpijper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #85
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

The "Search" button lags for me if it needs to index any books first. I make a point to update the indexes every day to avoid this (I read a lot of fanfic that's updated regularly).
Old 10-31-2020, 06:15 AM   #86
mapozyan
Connoisseur
mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: android
Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. I will try to address them with the new version.
mapozyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #87
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
The "Search" button lags for me if it needs to index any books first. I make a point to update the indexes every day to avoid this .
I do this too, press "index new books" each time I import books to Calibre. Indexing 6-10 books quite a bit faster than indexing 1400 - I wonder why? Thanks for this awesome plugin!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #88
mapozyan
Connoisseur
mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.mapozyan composes epic poetry in binary.

Version 1.7.0 released!

Whats new in this release:
  • Fixed rare utf-8 encoding bug that led to repeated reindexing of the same book
  • Improved look and feel of Options dialog and Readme box
  • Added "Found XX books" status line in Search dialog
  • Remembered size and position of Search dialog
  • Now Plugin remembers last 10 search terms
  • Made autoindex an optional feature (now you can disable it from Options dialog)

Thanks to everyone for valuable comments!
Old 11-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #89
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I wonder why this plugin doesn't appear in the Plugin Updater.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #90
mapozyan
Connoisseur

Quote:
I wonder why this plugin doesn't appear in the Plugin Updater.
I will take care of it.