Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #76
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Samsung is supposed to be pretty far along in developing a foldable or bendable screen phone, maybe even having a commercially available one later this year.

Does anyone remember the show "Earth Final Conflict? The hero had a phone that had a roll out screen, it was a little pod-like thing and the screen pulled out and rolled back up rather like a window shade. I still want one of those.
Have you seen Westworld? The TV series. They have devices that were triangular folded, first was size of a cell phone, you unfold it and it became a book, one more and it became a tablet.

That might be cool.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #77
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I still think it's the tablet that will disappear, not the eReader. ...
A rose by any other name ...

I think the 2017 tablet functionality will cleave in two with one part being absorbed by the ever more powerful and ubiquitous so-called "phone" (telephony has now become only a minor sideline function of the current devices) and the rest merged with today's ereaders. The merged tablet-ereader would likely become a do-all document handling device; reading, editing, annotating, and some creation along with video comsumption. It would be much more than what today is called an "ereader", and much more the feature set of today's "tablets".

While the document reading functions may dominate, I think the "tablet" moniker will win out over "ereader".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #78
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
A rose by any other name ...

I think the 2017 tablet functionality will cleave in two with one part being absorbed by the ever more powerful and ubiquitous so-called "phone" (telephony has now become only a minor sideline function of the current devices) and the rest merged with today's ereaders. The merged tablet-ereader would likely become a do-all document handling device; reading, editing, annotating, and some creation along with video comsumption. It would be much more than what today is called an "ereader", and much more the feature set of today's "tablets".

While the document reading functions may dominate, I think the "tablet" moniker will win out over "ereader".
Only if we get a colour screen that has an eInk screen's low power consumption and ability to be read under any lighting conditions and a tablet's high refresh speed LCD/AMOLED screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #79
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Only if we get a colour screen that has an eInk screen's low power consumption and ability to be read under any lighting conditions and a tablet's high refresh speed LCD/AMOLED screen.
Predicting the future is impossible. No one knows what will actually exist in 10 years.

I wouldn't say that eInk is the only answer, but I agree that for unified devices to thrive they will need to have the refresh rate and color quality of today's tablet screens with distinctly improved bright light visibility. The devices will also need to have run time and weight specs near that of today's eInk based ereaders. Whether that is the result of lower power screens, lower power processors, higher performance batteries, or some combination of the three doesn't really matter to the user.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #80
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I still think it's the tablet that will disappear, not the eReader. Bigger screened smartphones have been cutting deeply into the tablet market for a couple (maybe three) years now.
What about when tablet's have virtual keyboards that are like touching the air? I actually think the tablet may outlive the laptop. Chromebooks are already merging Android into them, and are supplanting Windows in schools and other areas. Only in the office and a few professions does anyone need powerful laptops or desktops. There will be some merging to be sure. But mobile systems are on the upswing, even Apple seems to be neglecting the laptop/desktop space. Mobile devices will keep improving.

Last edited by Conan46; 01-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #81
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
With that being said, my tablet isn't as portable as my e-reader. Mostly due to size but even if it were smaller, I don't think the comic experience would be as good. So, I doubt there would ever be an all-in-one device for me. Personally I prefer my devices specialized.
I just realized I could carry my Sony PRS-350 comfortably in my front shirt pocket. You just can't do that with a tablet. (Although I wouldn't want to read comics or PDFs on it – but I never use an eReader for either anyhow. Well, I guess right now I've got the 350's PDF User Guide on the 350, but that probably won't stay there for much longer. )
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #82
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I don't think eReaders are going anywhere for a while yet. Unless people just quit reading altogether in ten years. I do think smartphones will swallow up most of the tablet market.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #83
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And what I've seen of color eInk, it doesn't look like they're anywhere near approaching the color saturation of a standard LCD screen. Refresh rate is not yet a dream for them. (Unless something is happening in the background I don't know about.)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #84
shaphat
shaphat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3
by then I think e-readers will be installed in our brains or sth like that
shaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #85
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
What about when tablet's have virtual keyboards that are like touching the air? I actually think the tablet may outlive the laptop. Chromebooks are already merging Android into them, and are supplanting Windows in schools and other areas. Only in the office and a few professions does anyone need powerful laptops or desktops. There will be some merging to be sure. But mobile systems are on the upswing, even Apple seems to be neglecting the laptop/desktop space. Mobile devices will keep improving.
Mobile devices (smartphones mostly) are increasing ... but tablets sales continue to decline. I don't see laptops (or desktops) giving way to Chromebooks. I know I would never replace my laptop or desktop with a Chromebook, I don't like the idea of being "dead in the water" if the Internet goes down. And I need a usable keyboard.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #86
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaphat View Post
by then I think e-readers will be installed in our brains or sth like that
Brian stream Cheaper by the Dozen.
Brian recipe for blueberry muffins.
Brian call my daughter.

No devices needed.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #87
dwig
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think eReaders are going anywhere for a while yet. Unless people just quit reading altogether in ten years. I do think smartphones will swallow up most of the tablet market.
In the near future, I agree. In the way distant future (e.g. a decade from now, a massive amount of time in computer years) I think that phone will finish swallowing what tablet functions that they can handle well and that the remainder of the husk of the tablet market will swallowed up by more powerful ereaders.

I still think that the "tablet" moniker will be the survivor just as Jobs and his Next Computers "swallowed" the failing Apple, keeping the better know Apple name and replacing the outdated Mac OS with an version of the Next OS with an MacOS-like "skin". I think the distant future will be Amazon Fire-esque devices if and when the display can approach eInk and paper in the sun and the battery runtime improves.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #88
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I still think it's the tablet that will disappear, not the eReader. Bigger screened smartphones have been cutting deeply into the tablet market for a couple (maybe three) years now.
I have a Nexus 6 with a screen that's almost the same size as my Kobo. But I wouldn't want to read a book on it. I sure wouldn't want to read a comic on it. In fact, when I get a new phone, I will likely go back to a smaller phone.

I also don't have an interest in a larger screened e-reader.

So even if a beautiful, richly colored e-ink screen comes out, I'd still have a use for a tablet-sized screen and a 6" e-reader and the phone wouldn't be likely to substitute for either.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #89
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
On the large screen readers - they are expensive enough to be in the same price range as slightly smaller, full-purpose tablets, so I don't see them becoming mainstream items, but I don't see them being taken over by tablets either (I mean, large screen tablets were around before large screen readers), unless said tablets get dual display options.
I hate to be picky, but the Kindle DX was released almost a year before the iPad was. Unless you were talking about some other large screen tablet?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #90
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I hate to be picky, but the Kindle DX was released almost a year before the iPad was. Unless you were talking about some other large screen tablet?

Shari
Tablets were around before the iPad. Though you could argue they were even more niche than e-readers before it mainstreamed them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote