Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #76
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
Good to know I'm not crazy and alone in this.
Will try to install remotely.
But that will not work for in-app purchases.
Which I reckon is most of my apps these days.
This is why I don't like IAP.
Licensing tends to fail from time to time.

I would say the device is still not properly authenticated.

Update:
I can install purchased apps from the desktop but IAP are still failing.
Could someone else reproduce/check this please?
Booxtor do IAPs work on your end?
Still, a small step forward so I'm happy.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #77
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
You are in love. Ah, to be young and foolish again...
Ohh mdp, I'm very much in love.

But just like marriage, after two hours I already have a list of improvements for the next version.

(Max 2 pro plus. which by my estimation will be launched in two weeks, right? )

Nahh, really I'm happy because even if there are things to improve, Booxtor has our backs.

BTW, thank you for your work testing tinkering and hacking with your devices.
You and Booxtor are the reason I selected the BM2.
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #78
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
(Max 2 pro plus. which by my estimation will be launched in two weeks, right? )
Nice that you mention it, because a friend of a friend told me that he heard it through the grapevines that a guy let word loose at the barbershop without knowing that some people were listening that something may happen in two weeks time. I wish I had more information...

Quote:
BTW, thank you for your work testing tinkering and hacking with your devices.
You and Booxtor are the reason I selected the BM2.
Thanks! That's very appreciated!
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #79
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post
Sometimes magazines are referred to as “glossy magazines” for just the reason you noticed. What I was really comparing against was my Kindle Paperwhite - and I noticed reflections a lot more on the Max 2.

I do wonder though it might be as much due to the sheer size of the device as much as the screen surface.
I think you're right about the size being what makes the glare so noticable. I hadn't previously noticed the glare on my other devices but my Boox T68+, Boox M96+ & Yotaphone are about the same. A tablet with a matte glare filter is about the same or maybe a little worse.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #80
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
Well, in that case I will bite my ass if in a few months a MAX2 with SD card slot is available.
But given their resistance to alter the mispositioned buttons etc. this might not happen anyway.
Perhaps you will as it looks like Onyx is using leftovers/casings from Max1 production.
Looks like people who bought Max1 are biting not only their *sses because they will be stuck with Android 4.0.
Another dodgy product description on ereader.store website.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is already SD card slot in place. Anybody willing to open Max2 casing?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 04:35 AM   #81
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Booxtor, when you can please try to test some app that works for bluetooth tethering. I know that interests a few, but maybe we find that the connection via Bluetooth consumes less battery than the wi-fi.

I can connect the Max with my smartphone but, even using different browsers, navigation does not start.

rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #82
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Max2 Pro (64GB) is expected to be ready for MP in summer. However Onyx is going first to monitor demand for current version in order to decide. Max2 Pro(128GB) is rather kind of rumors. I don't have information about this device at all. External SD Card slot seem to be completely abandoned for future devices Decisive persons in Onyx top management are tending to put on cloud technologies and quite generous internal storage.

@BKeeper, MDP
Thanks a lot for your reports, your understanding and credits! We are really trying to do our best.

Concerning recent update. It seems you are right concerning issues with purchased apps. It does not look to be related to Play Service but rather to some strange signature issues. The problem is it is hard to test from China since Google is blocked there by national firewall. I also didn't test it for this matter since I don't use purchased apps on ereaders, so we discovered that problem firstly by your reports. We are on it and will fix it ASAP.

@rogerpiano
Request noticed. We will check it

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-07-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #83
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
External SD Card slot seem to be completely abandoned for future devices
This is worrisome, Booxtor. To produce and to propose 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB devices is plain ridiculous. Whereas, Micro-SD gives full flexibility. They should probably consult their base first with a survey.

I mean: just a wild guess having read these thread thoroughly makes me see where the public is oriented - the SD is something we want. Not "vital" for me, but I suspect a question like "Does the lack of an SD-card slot make you pass the purchase of our product?" would have surprising results.

Last edited by mdp; 01-07-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #84
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Perhaps you will as it looks like Onyx is using leftovers/casings from Max1 production.
Looks like people who bought Max1 are biting not only their *sses because they will be stuck with Android 4.0.
Another dodgy product description on ereader.store website.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is already SD card slot in place. Anybody willing to open Max2 casing?
First, I bought MAX1 non Carta as first minute customer and I'm happy about it.

Second, booxtor will do everything he can to treat people fair, but as things be as they are in world economy, his options are limited.

Third, this is in general not a "market" thing, unfortunately not. Because the "market" is not interested
in this kind of devices, perhaps you recognized already. So it's a niche product for enthusiasts, purists, fanatics. You can take it, or you can leave it.

Fourth, as booxtor said, there might or might not be a version with more GB whenever, so I'm deciding not to cancel my current order of MAX2.

Fifth, please stop your FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) strategy by spreading unfounded rumours.

Sixth, electronic devices with OSs are crap by definition. If you want something that is not crap buy a book printed in the 16th century, that will last forever.

There will always be things you don't agree to. 32GB is not enough, it will be snug at best. And as a german customer I would prefer not to pay the same shipping costs as do customers from oversea.
Aber des einen Leid ist des anderen Freud.

Last edited by alcedo; 01-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #85
alcedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
This is worrisome, Booxtor. To produce and to propose 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB devices is plain ridiculous. Whereas, Micro-SD gives full flexibility. They should probably consult their base first with a survey.

I mean: just a wild guess having read these thread thoroughly makes me see where the public is oriented - the SD is something we want. Not "vital" for me, but I suspect a question like "Does the lack of an SD-card slot make you pass the purchase of our product?" would have surprising results.
Your stance is a little bit naive. I don't know which country you live in, but clearly you don't know much about China. The "full flexibility" is exactly the problem.
China believes that AI working on Big Data will solve all problems of mankind and is indispensable to achieve what they call "social stability".
Therefore they plan to merge all data whatsoever into one huge database, so it's a matter of course the government needs access to all data whatsoever.
They plan to rank every citizen depending on his behaviour, what in turn will be used to decide about his admission to whatsoever.
In the near future they want to turn smartphones into identity cards, it's a app made by wechat, no question that nearly everybody right now is paying with smartphone nearly everywhere.
So clearly with that policy you would want all data to live in the "cloud", and what from our liberal western stance is "full flexibilty" in chinese eyes might turn into treason.
Given the fact that every chinese company as of recently has the obligation to house a cell of the ruling party, you shouldn't assume that decisions in chinese companies are driven by motives solely taken from a western idea of free enterprise.
In fact, so called "western values" are explicitely condemned by the acting president in the same way it had been the case in the late 80ths.

And what I'm telling here is no FUD, it is real. You can verify it easily.
Being myself a die-hard liberal, you might image that I also could classify the above with terms that are not so cautious. But bottom line is that this alternate reality should be taken into account. And the solution would be to produce elsewhere, but obviously there is also still an enormous creativity there decided to do what nobody else does.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #86
BKeeper
Groupie

Quote:
Your stance is a little bit naive. I don't know which country you live in, but clearly you don't know much about China. The "full flexibility" is exactly the problem.
China believes that AI working on Big Data will solve all problems of mankind and is indispensable to achieve what they call "social stability".
Therefore they plan to merge all data whatsoever into one huge database, so it's a matter of course the government needs access to all data whatsoever.
They plan to rank every citizen depending on his behaviour, what in turn will be used to decide about his admission to whatsoever.
In the near future they want to turn smartphones into identity cards, it's a app made by wechat, no question that nearly everybody right now is paying with smartphone nearly everywhere.
So clearly with that policy you would want all data to live in the "cloud", and what from our liberal western stance is "full flexibilty" in chinese eyes might turn into treason.
Given the fact that every chinese company as of recently has the obligation to house a cell of the ruling party, you shouldn't assume that decisions in chinese companies are driven by motives solely taken from a western idea of free enterprise.
In fact, so called "western values" are explicitely condemned by the acting president in the same way it had been the case in the late 80ths.

And what I'm telling here is no FUD, it is real. You can verify it easily.
Being myself a die-hard liberal, you might image that I also could classify the above with terms that are not so cautious. But bottom line is that this alternate reality should be taken into account. And the solution would be to produce elsewhere, but obviously there is also still an enormous creativity there decided to do what nobody else does.
Well, its simpler than that really.
(no need for conspiracies yet)

Integrated storage (while it's bad for nature) allows for better profit margins at premium levels.

I will start to worry in a future of integrated batteries and mandatory integrated storage and cloud sync.
Chinese factories rely on open source and external IP.
So this future you paint is not likely anytime soon. (so we are safe until next week)

Oh and at least the ruling elite in China know about AI. Which is more than we could say for most of our politicians.

Last edited by BKeeper; 01-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #87
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Well, its simpler than that really.
(no need for conspiracies yet)

Integrated storage (while it's bat for nature) allows for better profit margins at premium levels.

I will start to worry in a future of integrated batteries and mandatory integrated storage and cloud sync.
Chinese factories rely on open source and external IP.
So this future you paint is not likely anytime soon. (so we are safe until next week)

Oh and at least the ruling elite in China know about AI. Which is more than we could say for most of our politicians.
Offtopics discussion, but this article (unfortunately - in German) shows, what alcedo means - and it is not far away....
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzp...a-1185313.html
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #88
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Interesting stuff. Thanks for information. The German viewpoint is often more informative than the anglo one.

Back to the Max 2. Dumping the SD card goes against the open architecture which appeals to so many. It would make me think twice before purchasing. Including an SD card slot is cheap easy. To not include is puzzling. There is no technological or economic reason to exclude it. I expect it on a Kindle, not an Onyx.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #89
alcedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
Offtopics discussion, but this article (unfortunately - in German) shows, what alcedo means - and it is not far away....
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzp...a-1185313.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System
Old 01-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #90
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Your stance is a little bit naive.
Not to put the ego in this nice and interesting conversation, but you called me naive and I am guessing you failed to read elsewhere that my devices are air-gapped.

My statement is: I believe people are inclined to steer away from devices without removable SD-Cards. Onyx sells devices, that's its survival, and has to take into account the market's inclination.

(So why of all judgements did you call that "naive"?)

And anyway, the only Android watch, for example, I found around that does not require an Internet connection or pairing in any moment of its life, was Chinese. I too often find more openness in Chinese products than in other producers.

Quote:
no question that nearly everybody right now is paying with smartphone nearly everywhere.
Oh, pretty please, this I missed at first read. Around these parts, I've not seen anything like it.

EDIT: I read the article in Die Zeitung. Kühnreich is clearly quite smart. «Seit einigen Jahren werden Daten als "neues Öl" gehandelt, gerade deshalb müssen die Menschen ein Gefühl für die Bedeutung ihre persönlichen Daten bekommen und lernen, verantwortungsvoll damit umzugehen.»

Nonetheless. The last thing one should expect in crisis is still. This is just a symptom of a crisis which is evident and required.

Last edited by mdp; 01-07-2018 at 04:27 PM.