Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #76
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks orlok!
Zane Grey doesn't have a chance of winning, though . Guess I'll just have to read it anyway . And I've just realised it's free on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I voted for Diary of a Nobody because it sounds absurd. My favorite genre.
It is absurd, and funny - a classic situation of the protagonist not being able to see himself as others do. It's also short and an easy read, and surprisingly contemporary considering when it was written.

Last edited by orlok; 04-25-2011 at 04:47 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #77
Mussgorsky
Mussgorsky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Voted 1984. Haven't read it since High school. Good reason to re-read. Anna karenina looks good as well.
Mussgorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I remember the last time that I read it was in 1984. It was very depressing.
Now it's just outdated and old feeling.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After I finish Hal Spacejock today, I'll grab The War of the Worlds that HarryT put up, fix it to my specs, load it on my 650 and give it a go. Not 100% sure if it will be the next book or the book after that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #80
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I decided to load up 1984 into my reader whether it wins or not. It's about bloody time I read that thing.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #81
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did someone here say they read War of the Worlds in a day? If so, I'm just about done with Hunger Games.... I may read it next if it can be read that quickly.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #82
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did someone here say they read War of the Worlds in a day? If so, I'm just about done with Hunger Games.... I may read it next if it can be read that quickly.

BOb
i think wiki has it at 303 pages.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #83
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Yeah it's a short book 159 pages according to http://www.epubbooks.com/book/96/war-of-the-worlds

amazon lists it as 138 http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-H-G...3744785&sr=1-1

I have read many H. G. Wells books War of the Worlds was the most boring, it just could not hold my interest
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #84
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Yeah it's a short book 159 pages according to http://www.epubbooks.com/book/96/war-of-the-worlds

amazon lists it as 138 http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-H-G...3744785&sr=1-1

I have read many H. G. Wells books War of the Worlds was the most boring, it just could not hold my interest
ahhh if it's that short you definitely could read it in one sitting. i looked on wiki and saw 303p in the details on the right side and figured that was a bit much for me for a session.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #85
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I decided to load up 1984 into my reader whether it wins or not. It's about bloody time I read that thing.
And I'm that way with Anna. I've had it loaded for a while and this pushed me once again to pick it back up (I read the 1st chapter).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #86
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You can definitely read War of the Worlds in a couple of hours. I nearly finished it last night i 2 hrs.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #87
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My plan:

If Anna "officially" wins (soon), I will start it right away, as I need the extra time.

If 1984 wins, I will finish my current book, read War of the Worlds, and then decide where to go from there; saving Anna for this summer.

If any other title wins I will wonder how in the world that happened start reading it as soon as I'm done with my current book; again, saving Anna for this summer.

Last edited by Nyssa; 04-25-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #88
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
If Anna "officially" wins (soon), I will start it right away, as I need the extra time.
Hmm... if that wins i'm not sure if I will read it. Isn't this a romance? Although I surprisingly liked Pride & Prejudice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #89
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, no, it's SF with martians and hobbits and spaceships and russians
Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #90
kennyc

And it's IN THE LEAD! YEA!!!!