Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #76
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I believe you. I pulled Opus out of my pocket in a shop, put it next to Sony and in my experience there Sony's screen was darker. I'm no expert and as I said I fiddled with screen options but didn't manage. Surely the font on Opus looked lighter than on Sony in those lightning conditions. Still there were too many "cons" for me that outweighted the "pros" that I didn't buy it even thought I REALLY wanted it.
There's not that much between the opus and the 650 screen. The 650 has the edge, but it's not worth shelling $200+ if you're happy with your Opus.

Opus fonts are better than Sony fonts, period, but it's not a huge deal. I use a custom bold font myself, but the method is not user-friendly. That's the thing about the Sony--you have to get your hands dirty to get the most out of it. But the Opus is a great little device.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #77
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
never mind

Last edited by ApK; 06-16-2011 at 02:09 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #78
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Hi dax! That's quite interesting for me to read. A few months ago I was really drooling over Sony 650. Luckily (in a way) it was not available here in Belgium at the time. Anyway one time I went to Sony shop to test the 650 and I was shocked when I compared the vizplex screen of my Opus next to the 650. 650 was darker, shock, horror! Yes I DID fiddle in the shop with lightness and contrast but couldn't arrive at any satisfying result. Plus the small font was too small and the medium too big. Plus - which tipped the scale for me was that it won't display my language without a hack. Combined with a high price that turned out to be just too costly and too useless to get, sadly though. I really like the Sony but for me it is useless

I start to become a gadget freak as well. Lately I am debating a Kindle 3G. I just got bored with my faithful little Opus (I hope he's not listening right now) and want a new toy. Kindle apparently displays my language, has 3G which is very tempting for me and since I have ePub allowing Opus I would have the best of both worlds. I've been lurking here at MR reading what people think of the Kindle. So what you wrote is interesting for me, thanks!

Btw I don't want Kindle tablet. I won't make it to wait patiently without buying a new toy for Kindle 4 if it comes at all (haven't heard) and I only want eink. Besides for European customers it may not be immediately available either. For sofa surfing I have ipad which I don't read books on as it's too heavy to fall on my nose when I doze off while reading...
well I can fully recommend the Kindle..I have been using it for a few days now and I love it. Haven't touched my Sony 650 since the kindle came. LOL But as I said will have to see how it will go in the future. I don't know if it will display French is my guess is your language, which I figure it does since I belief there is a French Amazon site, so it would be weird for their device to not display French language. Wish Amazon had a Dutch site, but then it's not really a problem for me as I rarely read Dutch books these days and only English books. (And I'm a dutch native).

And as I said, I don't miss the touch screen on the kindle, the 5 way pad works just as fine. And this is coming from someone so used to a touch screen that once time when a co-worker asked for help with her phone (a nokia without touch screen and qwerty keyboard) I automatically touched her screen to go to her menu, before I realized that would not work.

You're lucky to have an iPad. That is one gadget I someday want to get, but since I have my iPhone I didn't really have a use for it right now. Maybe someday.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #79
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Rizla
Yes, I'm very happy with Opus. It's just I like new toys I don't need any though as Opus does enough for my needs. But the itch for a new gadget...

Dag, dax
Many thanks for the recommendation. Actually French is not my native language, I'm an expat in Belgium. Which is why an ereader is good for me to read books rather then have them imported over here and pay post (which doubles the price)

Ipad is just a big toy. I use it everyday and don't regret buying it. I bought it at the time of day one release in Belgium (talk about gadget freakiness) and I use it mainly to surf. At the very time back then my EB600 just kicked the bucket and I didn't have Opus yet. Or so I was justifying the cost that I can also read books, ho hum. Anyway I use it for internet while stretched on the sofa and for e-newspapers from my country. I turn on the desktop computer every three weeks or so since I've had it. But I really don't like to read books on LCD and for bed it's too clunky. Also my experience is when I take Opus which is a simple ereader it's like taking the book only, with no distractions aside. I like touch screen though. In Kindle case it's the 3G which is a big draw.

tot straks!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #80
amacbeth
amacbeth began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Let's face it, based on look and feel, who's going to buy the K3 with that clunky keyboard over the swish new Nook Touch?
I originally purchased the Nook. I agree, the touch screen is a big PRO. But I found trying to hold it with one hand in bed my thumb kept 'touching' the screen. The Kindle's keyboard area looks like a perfect hand-hold for one handed holding. Returned the Nook, awaiting shipment of the Kindle.
amacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #81
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle's keyboard is great feature, if that feature happens to be important to you.
It is for me. Nothing else is as easy or efficient for lookup and searching, and since I also use my Kindle for web lookups, word games and occasional email, the keyboard is a huge plus.
It does add size and weight though, and I'm not sure how much it adds to the ergonomics of holding it, but, like just about every other feature, that would of depend on the person.

I did run into a new Nook STR in the wild yesterday, and went to B&N to try it out today.
It is certainly lacking many of the extra features I love in my Kindle (and some, like the dictionary, are just not as good as the Kindle, IMNSHO) so it doesn't interest me as a primary reader, but ergonomically, Holy Mackerel, the STR is just about perfect!
It's amazingly light, and fits really well in the hand with out a cover, and the page turn buttons are excellent. You can switch whether the top or bottom button is page forward which gives you excellent feel and balance options, and that is one thing that I've been wishing for on the slightly top-heavy Kindle.
If I needed backup or secondary eink device purely for reading, out of the currently available devices I've seen, I would get an STR.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #82
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The Kindle's keyboard is great feature, if that feature happens to be important to you.
It is for me. Nothing else is as easy or efficient for lookup and searching, and since I also use my Kindle for web lookups, word games and occasional email, the keyboard is a huge plus.
It does add size and weight though, and I'm not sure how much it adds to the ergonomics of holding it, but, like just about every other feature, that would of depend on the person.

I did run into a new Nook STR in the wild yesterday, and went to B&N to try it out today.
It is certainly lacking many of the extra features I love in my Kindle (and some, like the dictionary, are just not as good as the Kindle, IMNSHO) so it doesn't interest me as a primary reader, but ergonomically, Holy Mackerel, the STR is just about perfect!
It's amazingly light, and fits really well in the hand with out a cover, and the page turn buttons are excellent. You can switch whether the top or bottom button is page forward which gives you excellent feel and balance options, and that is one thing that I've been wishing for on the slightly top-heavy Kindle.
If I needed backup or secondary eink device purely for reading, out of the currently available devices I've seen, I would get an STR.
to be quite honest at the rate these ereader prices are coming down having multiple ereaders are becoming a very viable option.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #83
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I thought I'd posted on this, but can't find it !

So.... can I buy the new Nook or Kobi in UK ?
These seem to be the next best to Sony and (yawn) Kindle.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #84
Joanne29
Serendipity
Joanne29 began at the beginning.

the nook blows the Kindle out of the water
Joanne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #85
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne29 View Post
Not to me! Kindle is the only ereader to which one can email one's personal documents via the device's wifi.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #86
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Lol at all the drama in this thread.

I have a Kindle 3. Bought a Nook STR because I thought I might want to replace it. I really liked the small form factor and simplistic design.

BUT, I ended up returning the Nook. As someone else said, the primary button I use on my kindle is the page forward button. I was disappointed with the page-forward buttons on the nook and I wished they were a little easier to press. Touching the screen wasn't bad, but there wasn't really a place to rest my thumb like I could with the buttons. Also, the hyphenating was driving me bonkers, and I don't want to have to change the text size/margins everytime to take care of it!

The Kindle is not perfect, but it's the best reader for my needs right now. I agree with others that at this rate, it's best just to wait till the holiday season to see what everyone is offering.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne29 View Post
Thank you for your incisive comparison; your carefully reasoned argument has certainly convinced me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #88
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you for your incisive comparison; your carefully reasoned argument has certainly convinced me!
would you have written the same response if someone wrote "The kindle blows this new nook out of the water"?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #89
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
would you have written the same response if someone wrote "The kindle blows this new nook out of the water"?
The more telling observation is that that didn't happen.

(Boy, the view is nice up on this high moral ground!)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #90
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The more telling observation is that that didn't happen.

(Boy, the view is nice up on this high moral ground!)
Ahhhh maybe not in so many words but the sentimate is surely the same.

Man. If everyone could just view the world as I view it, it would just make things soo much easier.

Last edited by boswd; 06-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.