Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #61
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
[SNIP]

Also no one has mentioned power quality. The switching of the power supply in the CFL may cause harmonic issues and wreck havoc on the power grid due to poor power factors
That can indeed be a problem. And that's one reason I refuse to purchase CFLs with power factors below 95%. And why I buy from a vendor that provides the numbers, so I can make choices like that. 'Course, I don't think they ship outside the US, and the bulbs they sell won't work for you unless you use compatible fixtures (and voltage, and frequency, and safety standards, and...). So, as usual, your mileage may vary.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #62
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
If they are banning incandescent bulbs then it'll force CFL manufacturer to make better & more competitive bulbs. Bulbs that are small, instant on and with warm homey lighting. Personally I prefer CFL for several reasons. They use less energy and they emit less heat.

I have a CFL in my closet that has the illumination of a 100W bulb, but uses 20W. I love the fact that I can use a paper shade on it and not worry about the bulb getting too hot, but still be able to have bright closet lighting. I love that I can touch a bulb or lamp that was just on because they don't get that hot. I replaced the desk light in the hutch after it melted the plastic casing on the top of my monitor.

It took a little bit of trial and error, but all the lights in my home have cfl bulbs except for my chandelier an a couple of other ambient lights that have specialty bulbs that I haven't been able to find in a CFL. All but my utility room has warm lighting. I accidentally bought a pack of cool cfl bulbs that are fine for task lighting, but not warm for home lighting, so I use those in my untility room. Just last week, I gave away all of my incandescent bulbs to Good Will. I realized I'm never going to use them and that they were just taking up space in my home.

Last edited by SolRaven; 08-30-2009 at 11:43 PM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 AM   #63
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
My only real complaint about CFL is that you can't use a dimmer switch with them. I get light-induced migraines and the default wattage is often too bright.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 AM   #64
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Yes, that's been my experience. When I leave a room I turn the light off. That's how my parents raised me. I've used a number of CFLs, and all but one have quit working in a very short time.
Mine too. There's only one location in our house where a light will be burning for a long time each day (especially in winter), and that is our hallway. It doesn't have direct daylight and is very dark when the light outside is dieing. So, we put LED lights there so it can stay on for longer periods without asking too much electricity. Right now, we only have 4 incandescent bulbs that are on for a longer period of time. One in the kitchen (especially in the morning at breakfast) and 3 in the livingroom (we were looking for dimable CFL but couldn't find them). The other two lights in the livingroom are LED (one bulb and one philips thingie)

I think more money can be saved by just turning off the lights when you don't need them.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 AM   #65
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
My only real complaint about CFL is that you can't use a dimmer switch with them. I get light-induced migraines and the default wattage is often too bright.
That's what I thought too. But other members pointed out that "dimmable" CFLs are now available (see previous posts). I indeed found several with a little net search. An example here.

Last edited by Kostas; 08-31-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #66
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
This thread has got me thinking that maybe not all CFLs are as rubbish as the ones I've encountered so far.

So, today I've ordered some Full Spectrum Daylight bulbs to see what they're like - who knows, maybe they'll be even better than incandecsents.

to everyone who has contributed to an interesting discussion.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #67
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
To shock a little more those that dislike this EU decision, I've read in newspapers that EU is considering to forbid stand-by mode in future electronic devices (including battery powered and ebook readers?) in an effort to reduce energy consumption as studies have established that energy spoiled this way is quite significant in total.
I realised then that I have several electronic devices in stb-by mode that I use only once or twice a year.
But what about our tv set??? Having to leave the couch to turn on????
Actually they're using various means to entice manufacturers to reduce standnby consumption.
http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/energyeff...initiative.htm
I didn't hear anything about outright banning, and doubt it will happen.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Standby power consumption does seem to be improving in modern devices. My Sony TV, for example, uses 0.2W in standby (presumably it's just powering the IR sensor!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #69
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I think it's a bad idea - LEDs would be a much better replacement. A lot less energy, and sod all heat from them. And a nice, bright white light.

Until bayonet-fit LED bulbs become easily available, and until LED replacements for flouro tubes don't cost an arm and a leg and don't require you to rewire the fitting, we'll be sticking with CFL bulbs.
Try this place:
http://www.leds.de/c19/LED_spots.html

The price is gigantic though.
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #70
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
This thread has got me thinking that maybe not all CFLs are as rubbish as the ones I've encountered so far.

So, today I've ordered some Full Spectrum Daylight bulbs to see what they're like - who knows, maybe they'll be even better than incandecsents.

I hope you like the Full Spectrum bulbs. I love them -- all the colors in my house look more natural, and I think it helps improve my Vitamin D uptake.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #71
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505

Last edited by Who are you?; 08-31-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: What I said wasn't correct
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #72
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I love my full spectrum lights. Last winter was the first one in ages when I didn't suffer from the winter blahs.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #73
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
In the past I've used full spectrum incandescent bulbs, they have been seriously useful in stablising my sleep cycle. This house only has halogen lights, however, which are not only shorter lived and more expensive than even full spectrum incandescent bulbs, their light tends to give me headaches and the expensive LED bulbs are so dim as to be effectively useless. I've ended up getting a desk lamp and having full spectrum bulbs for it shipped from Asia, and it's still not ideal.

Hopefully the next place I live will have normal light fittings, but I'm not looking foward to having to buy the expensive full spectrum CFL's, which in my experience die just as quickly, if not more quickly, as normal incandescents. And the level of light they provide is an issue, too many houses using CFL's are badly lit... (Supposedly the 20W ones provide as much light as a 100W bulb, a photometer* quickly shows that's a bad joke - a 30W one is still less powerful)

(*Do they think people can't easily check? It's not like making a photometer is remotely hard)

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 09-01-2009 at 02:43 AM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Could I ask where you bought them from, Sparrow? I'd be interested in trying them myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 AM   #75
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could I ask where you bought them from, Sparrow? I'd be interested in trying them myself.
I've ordered them from Androv Medical:
http://www.androv-medical.com/sectio...068fc0649af79d

but they've not arrived yet (only ordered yesterday ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote