Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #61
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
A couple of years ago I read two or three books that all had a plot line where someone was locked inside a house that was on fire. Is it common in the UK to have outside doors that can only be opened with a key?

In the US, every house or apartment I've ever lived in or visited has had one or more locks on the outer doors - typically one in the knob itself plus a deadbolt. These are normally operated from the outside by a key, but on the inside there is some kind of knob or lever so if you didn't have a key you could still get out in case of emergency.
On any outer door with glass, I always use a deadbolt that is keyed on both sides. Then if someone breaks the glass, they are unable to unlock the door.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
A couple of years ago I read two or three books that all had a plot line where someone was locked inside a house that was on fire. Is it common in the UK to have outside doors that can only be opened with a key?

In the US, every house or apartment I've ever lived in or visited has had one or more locks on the outer doors - typically one in the knob itself plus a deadbolt. These are normally operated from the outside by a key, but on the inside there is some kind of knob or lever so if you didn't have a key you could still get out in case of emergency.
In the UK, it is common to have doors that you cannot open without a key, So without the key, you cannot open the door. That's when you are on the inside. In the UK, most door keys look like skeleton keys.

In the US, you can have a door lock and a deadbolt. But that's mostly for apartments. In the houses/condo I've lived in, we only had door locks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #63
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

In the US, you can have a door lock and a deadbolt. But that's mostly for apartments. In the houses/condo I've lived in, we only had door locks.
That probably also depends on the neighborhood you live in - I expect there are some areas where everyone, regardless of house or apartment, has at least two locks!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Speaking as a southerner - "Y'all" is a contraction of "you all". How is that worse than any other contraction?
Because it just is. It's a southernism. To me, southernisms are not real English. I think part of the problem besides the accent is the politics of most of the southern states.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Blah, blah, blah.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #66
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because it just is. It's a southernism. To me, southernisms are not real English. I think part of the problem besides the accent is the politics of most of the southern states.
Bigoted much?!

I won't even address the politics aspect of your statement because I'd probably get into an area not suitable for discution outside of the Politics & Religion forum.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:36 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Bigoted much?!

I won't even address the politics aspect of your statement because I'd probably get into an area not suitable for discution outside of the Politics & Religion forum.
Not bigoted at all. Just very opinionated and I go for what is best for all. Not what's best for the rich and men who want to keep women and minorities down. Anyway, enough said about that or we'll end up in the P&R forum.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Stop it now, Jon. It was "too much" said, not "enough".
Old 01-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #69
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Y'all is a contraction you all. Ya'll is a misspelling of y'all.
Tell 'em. Seeing ya'll for y'all is always irksome.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Tell 'em. Seeing ya'll for y'all is always irksome.
And seeing y'all used as a singular form is annoying as well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Pretty sure that "all y'all" is the plural form.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:05 PM   #72
4691mls
Wizard

I don't hear "all y'all" very often. Perhaps it's regional within the South?
Old 01-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #73
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Or what about the different types of schools? In British books it sounds to me like what they call a public school (e.g. Eaton and Harrow; very upper crust) is what here in the US we'd call a private school.

What do they call what we call a public school; one that's free and paid for with taxes ... _,
The usual term is "state school" different types exist

https://www.secularism.org.uk/faith-...are-there.html
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:05 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Or what about the different types of schools? In British books it sounds to me like what they call a public school (e.g. Eaton and Harrow; very upper crust) is what here in the US we'd call a private school.

What do they call what we call a public school; one that's free and paid for with taxes?
It also sounds weird to Australians. Here, a "public school" is a government run and funded school and a "private school" is, well, a privately run school. They do get some funding from the government, but, charge fees to the students. The latter includes schools run by a religion.

As with the English public schools, private schools here have traditionally been seen as "upper class" and look down on public schools. I come from a country town that had no private schools. When I went to university, being asked what school I went to seemed weird until I worked out that they were really asking, "Are you one of us?" and after an excuse to brag about what school they went to. After that, it could be fun to pretend not to know what they were talking about.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:03 AM   #75
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
For me, it's the punctuation that catches the eye. Single vs. double quotes for direct dialogue, and the fact that in the UK they put certain punctuation outside quotation marks that would go inside them in the US.

As for "rug," in Western Canada, where I grew up, it was used almost exclusively for a floor covering much like carpeting that wasn't attached to the floor. Carpets, as opposed to rugs, being the floor coverings that are permanently affixed in place and normally stretching from wall to wall.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote