Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #61
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
What does waterproof mean? ..... Just how waterproof is "waterproof" and how much difference to the non-waterproofed readers?
The Kobo Aura One is certified for submersion for up to 60 minutes in up to 2 m of water, so that's pretty waterproof. The H2O is 30 minutes in 1 m of water. For a "non-waterproof" reader it's a matter of how lucky you get. Likely if you drop it into water and it's turned on something is likely going to short out. If you spill water on it you may get lucky and it may not get to a critical part before you dry it off or it may kill it near instantly.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
What does waterproof mean? I have a kindle and can read in light drizzle with no problem. In a heavy downpour I'm either under shelter or running for it with no time to be reading. In general I can think of no reason to read while swimming under water and I doubt any reader would be happy (not to mention having to dive for a dropped book). I've read on rare occasion in the tub and it is just a matter of being careful not to drop it but if I was worried I'd just use a baggie. Just how waterproof is "waterproof" and how much difference to the non-waterproofed readers?
Waterproofing isn't about enabling you to read while scuba diving. It's about making sure that spilling a cup of water on the table your device is sitting on isn't a death sentence. Life happens.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Waterproofing isn't about enabling you to read while scuba diving. It's about making sure that spilling a cup of water on the table your device is sitting on isn't a death sentence. Life happens.
Or,
reading in the bathtub,
reading at the beach,
reading in the hot tub,
It is also dust proof.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #64
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The Kobo Aura One is certified for submersion for up to 60 minutes in up to 2 m of water, so that's pretty waterproof. The H2O is 30 minutes in 1 m of water. For a "non-waterproof" reader it's a matter of how lucky you get. Likely if you drop it into water and it's turned on something is likely going to short out. If you spill water on it you may get lucky and it may not get to a critical part before you dry it off or it may kill it near instantly.
Yes, ereaders are not fond of hot bubble baths.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Or,
reading in the bathtub,
reading at the beach,
reading in the hot tub,
It is also dust proof.

Dale
Well, yes. But the user I was replying to hinted that they had magnetic fingers and would never drop their reader in the tub unless it was done intentionally and in that case they would have already sealed it in a plastic baggie.
Advert
Old 12-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What does waterproof mean? I have a kindle and can read in light drizzle with no problem. In a heavy downpour I'm either under shelter or running for it with no time to be reading. In general I can think of no reason to read while swimming under water and I doubt any reader would be happy (not to mention having to dive for a dropped book). I've read on rare occasion in the tub and it is just a matter of being careful not to drop it but if I was worried I'd just use a baggie. Just how waterproof is "waterproof" and how much difference to the non-waterproofed readers?
If you dropped your Kindle in the water, it would be done for. If you dropped a Kobo Aura H2O or a Kobo Aura One in the water, either would still work. And there's no need for a bag. You do like taking risks with your Reader. You don't have to if you get a new one that is waterproof.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #67
w33
w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, yes. But the user I was replying to hinted that they had magnetic fingers and would never drop their reader in the tub unless it was done intentionally and in that case they would have already sealed it in a plastic baggie.

Where did I imply that ..?
w33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by w33 View Post
Where did I imply that ..?
You didn't. I was replying to crossi's comment "What does waterproof mean? ... I've read on rare occasion in the tub and it is just a matter of being careful not to drop it but if I was worried I'd just use a baggie."
Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #69
set
set began at the beginning.

Device: Asus ZenPad 8
If you are not on a budget you should try Kobo Aura One
set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #70
InternetReader
InternetReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want the "cool" model Kindle, forget the PW3 & the Oasis and just get the Voyage. It's the top of the range Kindle.
Why do you say that?
InternetReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetReader View Post
Why do you say that?
Because the Voyage is better than the PW3 and the Oasis is rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #72
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetReader View Post
Why do you say that?
This is just what JSWolf does. He thinks/writes like his taste and opinions have universal bearing.

If you like the Oasis or think it is better than the Voyage, just go on doing so and enjoy it.

Don't take it serious or be offended, you'll get used to it and ignore the fact he almost never backs his claims with actual facts. This is what we all do, we ignore it. Sometimes we try to remind him, he shouldn't do this but it never sticks. Just be careful and try not to become too fond of his somewhat weird claims, like I did.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #73
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because the Voyage is better than the PW3 and the Oasis is rubbish.
Jon, we talked about this. Just because you think so, doesn't make it true.

I do but really!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #74
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There is an upside to drowning an ereader. It is a good excuse to buy a new, better reader. I really want the oasis but my kindle keyboard is working just fine for now.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #75
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
There is an upside to drowning an ereader. It is a good excuse to buy a new, better reader. I really want the oasis but my kindle keyboard is working just fine for now.
This one?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amazon_Kindle_2

That's just the thing. It is working. Fine is different in 2017. You'd be surprised how much faster they are now, how much better the screens with the higher ppi and how much you're going to love the frontlight.

Even if you don't go as expensive as an Oasis, get at least a Paperwhite. It'll enhance your reading experience exponentially.