Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll say this one last time in this thread. Pockets are bad for Readers. They have a much higher chance to get the screen broken.
When traveling outside the house, my tablet is in a protective case, which is then placed inside a neoprene sleeve, and then inside a bag.

Until Amazon starts making ereaders with non-breakable substrates, my ereader stays home.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #62
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Women rarely have pockets big enough for electronics. In general, this group would more easily entertain a larger eink device that will be placed in their daily bag/purse. Using a large font on any current Kindle does not render a book-like experience. This need should be met.
I disagree. When people talks about bigger ereader, they forget that weight is bigger too, and not everybody carries a shopping bag as purse.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #63
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
^ The Kobo H20 is easily transported, and does not require a shopping bag. There's no need to exaggerate, and it's disingenuous to dismiss this legitimate need for folks who must use a large font.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Women rarely have pockets big enough for electronics. In general, this group would more easily entertain a larger eink device that will be placed in their daily bag/purse. Using a large font on any current Kindle does not render a book-like experience. This need should be met.
It has been met with kerning and hyphenation. Just not in a way that's optimal. Optimal would be to do the kerning and the hyphenation on the fly with all KF8 eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
^ The Kobo H20 is easily transported, and does not require a shopping bag. There's no need to exaggerate, and it's disingenuous to dismiss this legitimate need for folks who must use a large font.
The H2O is not really that much bigger or that much heavier. It fits easily in my bag no problem. I've had this bag long before 6.8" was a Reader size. I have a Fintie cover for it and the cover does not add any noticeable bulk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #66
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I disagree. I have an Aura and an Aura HD, and I can tell you that, for me, HD is not easily transported (I still miss my Mini and I'm not the only one). I don't dismiss the need of a large font, but saying that because you have a purse you want a bigger reader (the previous comment I was answering). In my surroundings, men are usually who purchase bigger ereaders.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #67
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My reader is in a protective case and is with me at all times. It goes from house to car to work and any other place I go. I carry it in my hands just like I used to carry a hard bound book. If it gets broken or stolen I will buy another and put all of my books on the new reader. I have all of my books backed up in multiple locations.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #68
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I'll say this one last time in this thread. Pockets are bad for Readers. They have a much higher chance to get the screen broken.
One probably shouldn't put a smartphone in their back pocket either if they are not good at ice skating but I saw 2 people doing just that the other day. Yes they fell on their backsides or arses more than once.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #69
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
It has been met with kerning and hyphenation. Just not in a way that's optimal. Optimal would be to do the kerning and the hyphenation on the fly with all KF8 eBooks.
What do kerning and hyphenation have to do with the fact that people who need larger fonts would like more screen real estate? Neither of those things will give me more words per line when my eyes are tired and I need to really crank up the font size...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #70
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I disagree. I have an Aura and an Aura HD, and I can tell you that, for me, HD is not easily transported (I still miss my Mini and I'm not the only one). I don't dismiss the need of a large font, but saying that because you have a purse you want a bigger reader (the previous comment I was answering). In my surroundings, men are usually who purchase bigger ereaders.
Agreeing completely. Just because one could fit a larger ereader/device in their purse does not mean they want a larger one.
The weight does add up fairly quickly.
Note, I will be finding a purse with wider straps before I do another tourist attraction.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #71
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Agreeing completely. Just because one could fit a larger ereader/device in their purse does not mean they want a larger one.
The weight does add up fairly quickly.
Note, I will be finding a purse with wider straps before I do another tourist attraction.
I don't think anyone is saying that everyone wants a larger screen, I think we're just saying that it would be nice to be able to have a large screen Kindle as an option.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #72
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that everyone wants a larger screen, I think we're just saying that it would be nice to be able to have a large screen Kindle as an option.

Shari
We were disagreeing with the person that said because we have a purse, we would want a larger kindle.
Purse does not equal wanting something larger anymore than not having a purse equals wanting smaller.
Yes, some people want a larger kindle but I don't think carrying or not carrying a purse is any indication of the size kindle some people want.

For the record: I want a waterproof kindle.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #73
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
One of the reasons I use my Voyage more than my H20 is size, it's smaller and fits easily into my handbag. I walk with a stick so I don't carry a shopping bag. That's also why the Kobo Glo HD appeals as well.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #74
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I do find reading on larger screens more immersive. An 8" Voyage would be perfect for me.

But I am not holding my breath....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #75
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Who are we kidding? When/if Amazon comes out with a bigger kindle, plenty of people here will buy it.

(By bigger, I mean <8", not DX size.)

I see this again and again

"I'll never buy a kindle without buttons"
"I'll never buy a galaxy without sd slot or replaceable battery"
"I'll never buy a curved TV"

For better or worse, companies don't seem to do market research by listening to what we who frequent geeky forums have to say
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote