Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #61
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
B&N dropped the price of its Nook, after it Amazon so when Sony will drop the price?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #62
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandokde View Post
Does it has the new e-ink pearl screen? Both announce better constrast.

I read where this is the Pearl and saw a simulated picture. If that was accurate, it's a big improvement but remember this is just the internet. Let's see some confirmation first.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #63
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK!... now this is more like it. I wonder if there are any firmware updates.

Also, seeing the K2i on Woot makes me think we might be seeing a Kindle 3 in the next few months too. Perhaps in time for the back to school sales?

While I want this.. the price is still a bit much for me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #64
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I read that it was the new Pearl screen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtEdyjda6s

I think on the KDX Graphite page it stated 10:1 contrast.... and in this video the guy said that the new screen could reach 10:1 contrast.

And here:

E Ink details new display tech behind Kindle DX

E Ink has revealed the technical details behind its new e-paper display, which is used in the next-generation, just-announced Kindle DX. Dubbed Pearl, the new display tech increases the contrast ratio by 50 percent compared to the outgoing technology. The new e-paper uses an electrophoretic display and is based on current Vizplex designs.

The text is said to be crisper, like the difference between newspapers and paperback novels. This makes the screen and text much more visible in the outdoors as well, E Ink said. Images can be more clearly reproduced thanks to 16 gray levels.

E Ink Pearl also has improved energy efficiency, though exactly how much more efficient it is hasn't been divulged.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...new.kindle.dx/
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #65
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Pre-Ordered this morning. My current DX goes on Ebay tonight. Can't wait to see the screen.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #66
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I thought that the new displays wouldn't make their way into consumer products until well into 2011? They were announced less than a month ago. I wonder if someone has their facts wrong.

I'd like to see side by side pics, including the PRS-505.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #67
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I read that it was the new Pearl screen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtEdyjda6s

I think on the KDX Graphite page it stated 10:1 contrast.... and in this video the guy said that the new screen could reach 10:1 contrast.

And here:

E Ink details new display tech behind Kindle DX

E Ink has revealed the technical details behind its new e-paper display, which is used in the next-generation, just-announced Kindle DX. Dubbed Pearl, the new display tech increases the contrast ratio by 50 percent compared to the outgoing technology. The new e-paper uses an electrophoretic display and is based on current Vizplex designs.

The text is said to be crisper, like the difference between newspapers and paperback novels. This makes the screen and text much more visible in the outdoors as well, E Ink said. Images can be more clearly reproduced thanks to 16 gray levels.

E Ink Pearl also has improved energy efficiency, though exactly how much more efficient it is hasn't been divulged.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...new.kindle.dx/
Looking at that youtube video the newspaper they loaded had animation on it. If Amazon are using this screen in the DX (and conceivably in the next Kindle 3? ) then we might see animation in ebooks as was articled about during the week (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/a...-to-iphone-ip/) and the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88645
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #68
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just checked, and it can be ordered in the UK.
could you tell me how to? when i click on 'living outside USA' I get the message that I only can buy the white one - even when selecting UK for delivery...
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, to me this is just a cosmetic upgrade. The better screen and lower price is nice, but there aren't any functional or ergonomic improvements. PDF support is still not what it should be (no annotation, no PDF link support for navigation), CPU seems to be the same speed, still no left side buttons, same keyboard.

And it seems to portend the same will be true of the K2 replacement. It's just going to have a slightly improved screen? a year and a half after they came out with this design? Not even any software changes? I would hope for more than that...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #70
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well, to me this is just a cosmetic upgrade. The better screen and lower price is nice, but there aren't any functional or ergonomic improvements.
I disagree... a new screen is a functional improvement. But, you are right in that there are no new features to this... so it seems.

However, the main reason most people moved from a PRS-500 to a PRS-505 was for the better screen which was the main functional difference they wanted... the new button locations not so much why people upgraded.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #71
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I disagree... a new screen is a functional improvement. But, you are right in that there are no new features to this... so it seems.

However, the main reason most people moved from a PRS-500 to a PRS-505 was for the better screen which was the main functional difference they wanted... the new button locations not so much why people upgraded.

BOb
I agree, to the point where I think the market in used, current-gen Vizplex devices (e.g., Sony 300, 505, Kindle) will go south fairly quickly (especially with the inevitable price drops as technology marches forward). Why buy a reader that's not bright, where you need more lumens of ambient light to read at a particular font size? It's an advantage to see more on the page (ref. DX users).

I compared the DX and DX Graphite Amazon pics, and find no screen differences, making me think they didn't really photograph the new screens, just Photoshopped the graphite border. Maybe they even deliberately withheld showing the new whiter-background screens.

Last edited by jj2me; 07-02-2010 at 01:35 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #72
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
oh !

you mean an iPad .... :snickers:
Harhar - that was great.

Man the new Kindle DX would be something great if it would support epub, chm and djvus ... ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #73
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i wonder if they purposefully make the keyboard crappy so that people don't over use the free internet.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #74
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
could you tell me how to? when i click on 'living outside USA' I get the message that I only can buy the white one - even when selecting UK for delivery...
Same here. They redirect you to order the old white DX.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #75
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I love the size, I love the screen. I would buy one of this in a flash for my technical documentation.
The trouble is that most of this stuff is PDF and I would really need ToC support. Is it true it's not supported on DX?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote