Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If the update is greyed out, it means you're using the wrong binfile for your specific device, or that it's not in the root of your Kindle.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #62
pacu
pacu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
i just did the hack about an hour ago and bricked my kindle.
pacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #63
Pierson
Pierson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have tried both the K2 and the K2i bin file. When I do the K2i bin I am allowed to click on the update button. However, I tells me that the update was unsuccessful and just restarts and my dead ppl return. And as for the root directory...to get to that all you have to do is open up your kindle on your desktop right? its the initial place where the documents and music folders are right? What the heck am I doing wrong?!
Pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #64
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If we're talking about the sstimeout hack posted a few posts ago, please post the logfile (Which should have been created on the root of the kindle).

If we're talking about something else, please specify which hack you're talking about.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #65
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
pacu, that is the first time someone has bricked using these hacks. Have you tried turning it off for fifteen seconds, and then restarting it while it is plugged into your PC?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #66
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I really hate that that "jailbreak" overwrites Amazon's key when it doesn't need to.

So I repackaged it to create the key uniquely. This also means that the jailbreak doesn't ever need to be uninstalled. I've attached the updates for all 4 models.

Also, I repackaged the screensaver hack for all four models as well.

[EDIT:]

Screen saver install directions:
1) Install the jailbreak. The update will "fail" on the kindle, but will create a certificate that will verify our signed hack packages.
2) Install/Uninstall Screen Saver bins as normal.

[Edit again:]
A single backslash prevented the old uninstall scripts from removing the version tag. This has been fixed, and the new uninstall scripts work as expected. I'm sure I'll get a million people yelling during the next official update, however. oh well.
Should I uninstall jailbreak if I want to update by official Kindle firmware?
Is there any other reason to uninstall it ?
and what is difference between jailbreak editions in this forum:
  • 2.5-jailbreak.zip
  • kindle-2.5-jailbreak-0.1.N.zip
  • update_jailbreak_k3_install.bin ... ?
Thank you.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you're using clarknova's or mine, you don't have to uninstall it.

Previous/other jailbreaks, possibly, I'm not familiar with every jailbreak hack out there
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #68
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Ok, is there any reason to uninstall it ?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not really, unless you plan to restore your unit to factory defaults before selling it.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #70
meem

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I really hate that that "jailbreak" overwrites Amazon's key when it doesn't need to.

So I repackaged it to create the key uniquely. This also means that the jailbreak doesn't ever need to be uninstalled. I've attached the updates for all 4 models.

Also, I repackaged the screensaver hack for all four models as well.

[EDIT:]

Screen saver install directions:
1) Install the jailbreak. The update will "fail" on the kindle, but will create a certificate that will verify our signed hack packages.
2) Install/Uninstall Screen Saver bins as normal.

[Edit again:]
A single backslash prevented the old uninstall scripts from removing the version tag. This has been fixed, and the new uninstall scripts work as expected. I'm sure I'll get a million people yelling during the next official update, however. oh well.
Thank you.
So, I don't need to uninstall them when I need to do official upgrade ?

Last edited by meem; 08-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Exactly.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #72
Whirlygig
Whirlygig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 2, Sony PRS 505
Thumbs up Thanks!!

Yaay! I love "my" screensavers and have been awaiting your instructions for the new K3 anxiously... I installed without issue and once again have my screensavers on my new K3. Now it really feels like it is "mine." Thanks so much!!!
Whirlygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #73
Shapespeare
Shapespeare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Please Help?

I can't seem to install the screensaver hack onto my Kindle. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong? I tried every one listed! Can someone please help me? I'm getting a little frustrated as you can see! Which one should I be installing. I have the Kindle DX 9.7/Wi-Fi plus 3G.
Shapespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #74
meem

What about "update_jailbreak_k3_install.bin" and "update_jailbreak_k3i_install.bin" ?

I know these for Kindle DX .. but can I use one of them for Kindle 3 ?

Last edited by meem; 11-06-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@meem: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(As always, k2 means K2 US, k2i means K2 GW, dx means KDX US, dxi means KDX GW, dxg means KDX Graphite, k3g means K3 3G (US [B006]), k3w means K3 WiFi [B008] and k3gb means K3 3G (UK [B00A]).
You'll notice that's there is no 'k3i'...