Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2023, 12:16 PM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think I converted an NTFS to ext4 once keeping data intact. I did have a backup just in case. Maybe Jan 2016. But I could be wrong.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 03:25 PM   #62
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I agree that MTP is likely to be the new normal for future Kindle devices and then they will be free to use whatever format they want for the partition.

My main worry is that they will begin to apply filtering to the set of files accessible via MTP. It would be easy for Amazon to block access to purchased book files, Scribe notebooks, and any other data that they want to keep out of the hands of consumers. That would do a lot to improve the security of the Kindle platform from their standpoint.
A counter argument to this is that Fire tablets also use MTP and there is no such filtering, security issues notwithstanding.

I cannot claim to understand Amazon's motivation for this change: why fix what is not broken? There are some benefits (no file corruption) but also deficits (mostly for non-Windows OS's).

I tend to agree that this is preparation for future Kindles with a different file system and perhaps OS (Fire OS lite?).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2023, 11:15 PM   #63
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
A counter argument to this is that Fire tablets also use MTP and there is no such filtering, security issues notwithstanding.

I cannot claim to understand Amazon's motivation for this change: why fix what is not broken? There are some benefits (no file corruption) but also deficits (mostly for non-Windows OS's).

I tend to agree that this is preparation for future Kindles with a different file system and perhaps OS (Fire OS lite?).
There was a comment in 5.16.2 thread saying that there are security vulnerability that can be triggered via intentionally corrupting FAT32 partition. Such attack is not possible via MTP.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=46
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote