Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is one time I would like to see Amazon remove a book from all Kindles that have it on it and also take it out of people's archives on Amazon.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #62
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Kenny didn't say "total freedom to do what you want", so I don't know where you got that.

It's a shame that you are mixing up the book and the act. The 2 are not the same.

I think they should be allowed to sell this book.

I also think they should be allowed to sell Mein Kampf, but that doesn't mean I think the Holocaust was a good idea.

I also think they should be allowed to sell the political tracts of the Weathermen Underground, but that doesn't mean I think we should go blow up the government.

I also think everyone should be allowed to buy and sell guns, but that doesn't mean I think you should go kill someone.

There's a huge difference between the tool and the act. This book,by itself, does no harm. It's the act that does the harm, and it's already illegal.
And you are mixing up the RIGHT of Amazon to sell the book with the wisdom and common sense of doing so.

Again, this is not an issue of censorship, but of judgment. Amazon should have exercised some judgment here, but they didn't. They took the money from this guy to self-publish and then automatically listed his book for sale. (He has several others on Amazon as well, all apparently dealing with sex and/or religion.)

The First Amendment doesn't mean that no one is ever allowed to exercise discretion about what is published and/or sold.

Amazon's own initial statement read: "Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions." [Emphasis added.] Well, in what alternate universe is sex with a child not a criminal act? In what alternate universe is something that calls itself a how-to guide not promoting that criminal act?

A news article about the controversy appears here.
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Jon,

It is the role of lawmakers to decide what material it is, or is not, legal to publish. Amazon provide a digital publishing platform; they don't act as a guardian of public morality, and I'd be extremely uncomfortable to see them start doing so.
But is it legal to publish a guide on how to do something we know is illegal? That is a gray area that the courts would need to decide upon.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if that neighbor would not have have done that act if he had not bought the book, what then?
The devil made me do it?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The devil made me do it?
And that's about as good an excuse as "it wasn't me, it was the dog who farted".
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #66
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
But is it legal to publish a guide on how to do something we know is illegal? That is a gray area that the courts would need to decide upon.
yes. and as repungnant as we may find it, it should stay that way
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If you are uncomfortable with what can legally be published in the United States, it's your representative in Congress that you ought to be addressing your complains to, not the bookseller.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yes. and as repugnant as we may find it, it should stay that way
Let's say this book is 100% legal to sell. In that case, Amazon did nothing legally wrong in selling it. But that still does not mean that Amazon made the correct decision to allow it to be sold. Common sense seems to have been tossed out the window in this case.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you are uncomfortable with what can legally be published in the United States, it's your representative in Congress that you ought to be addressing your complains to, not the bookseller.
I'm not uncomfortable with what can legally be sold. Even if this book is 100% legal. It's is 0% moral and common sense should have told Amazon to remove it ASAP.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #70
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The devil made me do it?
Quote:
And that's about as good an excuse as "it wasn't me, it was the dog who farted".
It's also about as good an excuse as "I read it in a book"

As one of my teachers was fond of saying, "if you were told in a book or by a person to stick your head in a hot oven, would you do it?"
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #71
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
But if that neighbor would not have have done that act if he had not bought the book, what then?
No excuse for behavior. Person is at fault, not the book. Being emotionally affected, as a hypothetical parent in such a hypothetical situation would undoubtedly be, should not affect the book.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
No excuse for behavior. Person is at fault, not the book. Being emotionally affected, as a hypothetical parent in such a hypothetical situation would undoubtedly be, should not affect the book.
But in reality, the book is going to also get blamed for what happened. That's not going to change. You are going to be outraged at the neighbor and the book and you will want to sue the author.

You won't be saying. "Oh yes, the book had nothing to do with this and I will defend Amazon's right to sell it." That's not going to happen. You'd be right there demanding Amazon take it down.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #73
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Kenny didn't say "total freedom to do what you want", so I don't know where you got that.

It's a shame that you are mixing up the book and the act. The 2 are not the same.

I think they should be allowed to sell this book.

I also think they should be allowed to sell Mein Kampf, but that doesn't mean I think the Holocaust was a good idea.

I also think they should be allowed to sell the political tracts of the Weathermen Underground, but that doesn't mean I think we should go blow up the government.

I also think everyone should be allowed to buy and sell guns, but that doesn't mean I think you should go kill someone.

There's a huge difference between the tool and the act. This book,by itself, does no harm. It's the act that does the harm, and it's already illegal.
And I think you are full of Bullcarp.......

But thats just me.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #74
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
But in reality, the book is going to also get blamed for what happened. That's not going to change. You are going to be outraged at the neighbor and the book and you will want to sue the author.

You won't be saying. "Oh yes, the book had nothing to do with this and I will defend Amazon's right to sell it." That's not going to happen. You'd be right there demanding Amazon take it down.
You're projecting a lot of your personal irrationality onto me and pretty much everyone else. It's just not true though, and I will not blame a book, or even the book's author, for what the reader does.
I also will not support the parents who wish to ban Dungeons and Dragons because it "made" their children commit suicide, even if my child commits suicide and writes a note saying Vecna compelled him to.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If everyone participating in this thread has a child and said child was molested by someone who bought that book, I do not think anybody would be claiming it was alright for Amazon to have sold that book, you'd be right there advocating for it's removal and you'd most likely want damaged from Amazon and the author.

So don't say it's OK to sell when you know that once it's used as a how-to guide and children start to get molested because of this book that nobody with any sense of right & wrong would still say it is OK to sell.
Closed Thread