Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post

We get it, Blossom thinks that the blue border thing makes it a terrible device to read on. There is an entire thread about her thoughts on that, we don't need to every single thread related to the HDX to have a rant about the blue border.

My posts about the Blue LEDs is very relevant in this thread. The OP wanted to know what to get his sister. He needed to know that the blue border is an issue he may have to deal with as this is to be a Christmas Present. As Brian said his friend is having to replace his kids present because of the Blue Bleed issue. It's so close to Christmas that the OP needed to know in case he had to get a fast replacement. You wouldn't want him to be stuck without a gift would you due to getting a unit that may have predominate blue bleed issue? That would just be sad. If I can prepare someone on what to expect then I will I would only hope someone else would show me the same courtesy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'm basing it off the fact that there are 1400+ reviews on amazon, plus many other electronics websites and the vast majority of people in these reviews don't seem to have a problem with a blue border.
Good for them. How many are readers who might spend hour at a time using the device for such a task? As I said, there's a large thread on Amazon about the blue fringe and Amazon got enough complaints to add info about it to the product page. Is it a problem for everyone? No. Is it a problem for most? Not sure, but probably not. That doesn't mean it's not an issue and shouldn't be discussed. Guess we have differing opinions on the value of most Amazon reviews. I usually find the comments to the reviews more helpful than the reviews themselves.

Quote:
My only issue with Blossom is she makes it sound like it a terrible flaw of the device when it may simply not be suited to her. It is not a flaw if most people don't have an issue with it. It may be a flaw for a few people that seem to be easily destracted by such things but for the majority of the people (as evident in the Amazon reviews and other reviews and my experience, my wife's experience a) it is not a problem and hardly noticeable.
1,400 Amazon reviews plus a couple of first hand experiences don't a majority make. Even if it's not an issue for the majority, and I think you're probably right on that, that doesn't make it less of a possible issue for someone who might read this thread. Especially on a forum focused on using devices for reading where folks look at a mostly static screen for hours on end.

Quote:
We get it, Blossom thinks that the blue border thing makes it a terrible device to read on. There is an entire thread about her thoughts on that, we don't need to every single thread related to the HDX to have a rant about the blue border.
What rant? She barely mentioned it in this thread at all until she got jumped on. She brought the issue up once and then left it alone. It's info someone looking to maybe buy one (the subject of the thread) should have so they are aware of it as a potential issue.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #63
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
She has the HD 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You should get the wife one for Christmas. She would love it!
She has the HD 2012 and loves it. She uses the QVC App lots of the time. She also reads on the PW 2012. If those devices were perfect for me just 3 months ago, they are still great units.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #64
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
My posts about the Blue LEDs is very relevant in this thread. The OP wanted to know what to get his sister. He needed to know that the blue border is an issue he may have to deal with as this is to be a Christmas Present. As Brian said his friend is having to replace his kids present because of the Blue Bleed issue. It's so close to Christmas that the OP needed to know in case he had to get a fast replacement. You wouldn't want him to be stuck without a gift would you due to getting a unit that may have predominate blue bleed issue? That would just be sad. If I can prepare someone on what to expect then I will I would only hope someone else would show me the same courtesy.
OK, then lets list all the possible things that can turn people off about android based devices then while we're at it even though most people won't experience them:

They freeze, they crash, you will have issues with Wi-Fi, books might not show up...ect.

These are things that affect all devices, Nexus, Galaxy, Kindle.... all of them with about the same frequency (maybe actually with a higher frequency) than people are bothered with the blue border issues.

Like I've noted elsewhere, mine doesn't have a noticeable blue border, the three demo HDXs I looked at didn't have them. My wife looked at them as well and didn't see a blue border. There are 1400+ reviews just on Amazon and maybe 100 mention it. I think part of what has happened here is that because someone says it's there people go looking for it and then it bothers them when they probably wouldn't have noticed in the first place.

The bottome line is that the vast majority of people who buy the HDX and read on them are perfectly satisfied with them. This is clearly something that is not a problem for most people.

Read up on any device, you will find people who have some sort of issue with it that most people don't. You can't please everyone, I guess.

Also, I will say that Amazon sort of told you the purpose of the device when they said the blue LEDs were used to enhance display quality for movies and games. So, it is clear by that statement that they were focusing the HDX to be more of gaming/video tablet than an e-reader like the HD was.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

What rant? She barely mentioned it in this thread at all until she got jumped on. She brought the issue up once and then left it alone. It's info someone looking to maybe buy one (the subject of the thread) should have so they are aware of it as a potential issue.
I'm going to make a thread on the issue with references. I should have done this awhile back but I've been so busy with real life. That way I can point someone to the thread and they can make their own decision.

I will still mention my own experience when I think it's relevant. I've been posting in this Kindle Fire since it was created so I am pretty sure people do want to hear what I have to say.
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
OK, then lets list all the possible things that can turn people off about android based devices then while we're at it even though most people won't experience them:

They freeze, they crash, you will have issues with Wi-Fi, books might not show up...ect.
Those are not device or reading specific issues. The blue LEDs is unique to this device. You just don't get it and I am done trying to defend myself when I don't have to. I've will continue to do as I always done and I am sorry if it bothers you but that's just the way it is.
I have posted in this in forum since it was created before the original Kindle Fire was released and I have helped many and I do mean many people here with their issues, problems and questions and I planned to continue to do so.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #67
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Good for them. How many are readers who might spend hour at a time using the device for such a task? As I said, there's a large thread on Amazon about the blue fringe and Amazon got enough complaints to add info about it to the product page. Is it a problem for everyone? No. Is it a problem for most? Not sure, but probably not. That doesn't mean it's not an issue and shouldn't be discussed. Guess we have differing opinions on the value of most Amazon reviews. I usually find the comments to the reviews more helpful than the reviews themselves.

1,400 Amazon reviews plus a couple of first hand experiences don't a majority make. Even if it's not an issue for the majority, and I think you're probably right on that, that doesn't make it less of a possible issue for someone who might read this thread. Especially on a forum focused on using devices for reading where folks look at a mostly static screen for hours on end.

1400 reviews is a good sample size if you were doing a survey. I know that Amazon reviews for the most part are not that great but normally when a product has a serious issue it comes up a lot more frequently than this.

I don't care if people mention the blue border so much if they could at least admit that it seems that most people don't seem to have a problem with it as well.

It's sort of like saying the car is red, so I don't like it but acting like it's a desing flaw. It's like anything people buy there are just going to be some things people don't like that doesn't bother most of the people who buy it.

Maybe I'm getting the wron impression but it seems like there is a lot of hate coming from Blossom ( and a couple others) for the HDX that to me seems like it is more over a matter of taste than there being something wrong with the device.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #68
mcrow
Zealot

Quote:
Those are not device or reading specific issues. The blue LEDs is unique to this device. You just don't get it and I am done trying to defend myself when I don't have to. I've will continue to do as I always done and I am sorry if it bothers you but that's just the way it is.
I have posted in this in forum since it was created before the original Kindle Fire was released and I have helped many and I do mean many people here with their issues, problems and questions and I planned to continue to do so.
I know about the LEDs. What I'm saying is you are making it a bigger deal than it really is going to be for most people. Its fine, IMO, to say you don't like the blue border or that you notice one and it bothers you but you also have to take into account that your experience doesn't seem to be what the majority of people are having. So, when a recommendation thread comes up or something like that maybe it would be fair to state that.

Like I said before, I respect your opinions around here. I've been around here just as long as you, though I mostly lurk, so I'm familiar with your posts. We are going to disagree on this one I guess but I'm willing to drop the subject and move on.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
She has the HD 2012 and loves it. She uses the QVC App lots of the time. She also reads on the PW 2012. If those devices were perfect for me just 3 months ago, they are still great units.
A QVC My kind of gal! We'd get along very well. I forgot you had last year's model. It's a nice tablet. I'm not sure if the upgrade it worth it unless you want a tablet that is lighter or smaller than last year. They say the HD is a sequel to last year's Kindle Fire NonHD version. I tend to think it's a mixture. It's like the they took a little from the HD and non HD and came up with this year's HD model.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #70
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:

These are things that affect all devices, Nexus, Galaxy, Kindle.... all of them with about the same frequency (maybe actually with a higher frequency) than people are bothered with the blue border issues.

Like I've noted elsewhere, mine doesn't have a noticeable blue border, the three demo HDXs I looked at didn't have them. My wife looked at them as well and didn't see a blue border. There are 1400+ reviews just on Amazon and maybe 100 mention it. I think part of what has happened here is that because someone says it's there people go looking for it and then it bothers them when they probably wouldn't have noticed in the first place.

The bottome line is that the vast majority of people who buy the HDX and read on them are perfectly satisfied with them. This is clearly something that is not a problem for most people.

Read up on any device, you will find people who have some sort of issue with it that most people don't. You can't please everyone, I guess.

Also, I will say that Amazon sort of told you the purpose of the device when they said the blue LEDs were used to enhance display quality for movies and games. So, it is clear by that statement that they were focusing the HDX to be more of gaming/video tablet than an e-reader like the HD was.
Wow, dude, you need to chill, your coming off with a big agenda, are you working for Amazon or something?
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #71
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon LOYALISTS, YES !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post
Wow, dude, you need to chill, your coming off with a big agenda, are you working for Amazon or something?
I hate to say this but this place is the AMAZON KINDLE FIRE Forum. Lots of us are dedicated AMAZON FANS and think our Kindles are better than all the competition.

If you don't like to read our pro-Amazon posts, you can always use the IGNORE button.

I wouldn't dream of buying an Apple product or a Nexus. If the eReader doesn't sport the Amazon Logo, it may as well be from Mars.

I still use a Samsung DUMB phone and will not buy any Smart phone until one comes out with the AMAZON logo. I can wait years until that happens.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #72
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I have an ipad3, but I hate it for reading, plus I would never buy another one again. When it came out, it had the best screen, so I took the plunge and bought it. It has served its purpose, it displays pdfs pretty well, especially being able to zoom in on text.

Im not pro/con amazon, this guy is attacking Blossom for whatever reason, he needs to chill.
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I hate to say this but this place is the AMAZON KINDLE FIRE Forum. Lots of us are dedicated AMAZON FANS and think our Kindles are better than all the competition.

If you don't like to read our pro-Amazon posts, you can always use the IGNORE button.

I wouldn't dream of buying an Apple product or a Nexus. If the eReader doesn't sport the Amazon Logo, it may as well be from Mars.

I still use a Samsung DUMB phone and will not buy any Smart phone until one comes out with the AMAZON logo. I can wait years until that happens.
I just bought a Samsung laptop and love it. I also own two of theirs Media players and love them. I actually bought one of them from Amazon. I really love the brand. Don't you have a Samsung TV or was that Jack? While I agree Kindles are the best I still have love for other brands too.

I own 6 Kindles so I guess you can say I am a Kindle Fan.
K3, 2 K4s, PW1, KFv1, KFHD2. I think a 8.9 would be cool too but too much money! I can't wait to see what this new PW3 is that suppose to come out early next year.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #74
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post

Im not pro/con amazon, this guy is attacking Blossom for whatever reason, he needs to chill.
I agree! Pointing out a negative thing about a device does not make you anti-Amazon. The attacks need to stop.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #75
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
I can't wait to see what this new PW3 is that suppose to come out early next year.
I'll wait for reviews. If the software is the same, I don't think I'll get it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote