Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #61
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
There is a backup battery which should last 24 hours or so. But this one may be dead. Your device is probably around 5 years old. They stopped making them long ago, but they are great little machines.

With Windows Mobile Device Manager (the successor to ActiveSync in Vista and Windows 7) what is backed up is only your data. Not your settings and any additional programs you have installed. To totally restore your device after a mishap (including all you add-ons, tweaks, personal settings, etc) it is necessary to get a paid app like Sprite or Resco backup. With those you can restore your device to its last saved state right from the SD card or your computer just by clicking on the restore file. You can find some free backup programs on xda-dev and elsewhere, but they do not do a 100% restore.

The easier, and cheaper way would be to upgrade to 5.0 or higher. Then your device will not do a hard reset every time you lose a charge. Don't be afraid, it is easy and takes 20 minutes at most. Read the instructions and follow them EXACTLY. Turn off any radio (WIFI, bluetooth). If anything happens, just do it over.
My loox came with a nice backup application that backs up everything. Literally everything. So, if I lose my install due to a dead battery, after my OS has started loading again (nice and clean...), I can restore the backup and 10 minutes later I'm up and running again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
The system claims the backup battery is working normally. And re the Windows Mobile Device Manager, here's what it says is being backed up: "all the files, databases, personal information, RAM-based programs, and other information currently on your mobile device." I don't know any way short of doing a restore to see if that's accurate, though. (Of course, the next time I try a battery swap, I may get a chance. )

I'll probably do the upgrade, but it's a little low in the queue of things to do right now.

I got a backup battery as well, should last about 30 minutes... It shows as fully loaded, but as soon as I remove the battery, it's dead... Oh well, no battery changes then and a backup on my SD card...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #62
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
As soon as I'm over a work hump (the course I'm teaching ends this week), I'll try the OS upgrade. I've already collected the files I need. I did a fast battery swap the other night, and it was okay.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #63
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
As soon as I'm over a work hump (the course I'm teaching ends this week), I'll try the OS upgrade. I've already collected the files I need. I did a fast battery swap the other night, and it was okay.
Yes, way better do it now than later when you have installed all your apps, as the update will hard reset the device. And you will not have to worry about losing your data if the battery drains. The windows 6 UI is nicer too

These units were released in 2004, but they still have comparable specs to a high-end 2009 smartphone (In fact the first smartphone able to best them was released this year). They are so cheap nowadays that I'm tempted to grab an ipaq Hx4700 from ebay just for the sake of old days
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #64
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The college course I was teaching ended last night. I'm planning to try the upgrade today. I haven't installed anything but mobipocket, at this point.

I like the Axim so much I'm tempted to grab a second for backup, if I see one cheap enough on ebay. (My electronics gear has been failing left and right around me, lately.) The Ipaq 4700s seem to consistently go for over $100 on ebay, but the Axim X50Vs range a little lower.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #65
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I have been extremely happy with my Axim over the last several years, but the backup battery is now officially dead. If I have to swap batteries, I have to do a restore. I try really hard to not let the battery go dead now. I am debating what device I want to replace it with, but so far haven't figured out what I want. I wish there was a new version of my Axim.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #66
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1 View Post
I have been extremely happy with my Axim over the last several years, but the backup battery is now officially dead. If I have to swap batteries, I have to do a restore. I try really hard to not let the battery go dead now. I am debating what device I want to replace it with, but so far haven't figured out what I want. I wish there was a new version of my Axim.
The same on my Loox. And as there is only one real replacement for it, and that costs about €400, I'm not going to bother... I just make sure (as you do) to not let my battery drain I did replace my battery with a new one though...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #67
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Well, I tried upgrading the OS, and that didn't go well at all. I started with Aximupdate.exe to bring it from WM 2003 up to WM 5, and the updater program closed without completing the task. I had to do a hard reset to get it going again, without any update. Tried it again, with the same result.

Any thoughts on what could cause that problem? I did this on a Windows 7 64 bit computer. Could that be the problem, since the update program is a few years old?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #68
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Well, I tried upgrading the OS, and that didn't go well at all. I started with Aximupdate.exe to bring it from WM 2003 up to WM 5, and the updater program closed without completing the task. I had to do a hard reset to get it going again, without any update. Tried it again, with the same result.

Any thoughts on what could cause that problem? I did this on a Windows 7 64 bit computer. Could that be the problem, since the update program is a few years old?
Offhand, I doubt it. Where did you get the updater?

PDAs running Windows Mobile are not desktops or laptops running Windows. Among other things, it uses an ARM processor, not an Intel design. I'm willing to bet ROM images are pretty specific to the exact hardware you run, and an image that isn't fully compatible will fail.

Googling on "dell axim x50v windows mobile 6" will turn up some links that might be relevant.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #69
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Offhand, I doubt it. Where did you get the updater?

PDAs running Windows Mobile are not desktops or laptops running Windows. Among other things, it uses an ARM processor, not an Intel design. I'm willing to bet ROM images are pretty specific to the exact hardware you run, and an image that isn't fully compatible will fail.

Googling on "dell axim x50v windows mobile 6" will turn up some links that might be relevant.
______
Dennis
It was googling on that that got me as far as I did.

No, the update program I referred to runs from the Windows desktop and uses the sync program to update the ROM via the USB connection. The parameters seemed to check out properly before I hit the execute button. (I got the update program from one of those developer sites folks have referred to above.)

I'm thinking it's possible that the updater was designed to run from XP with ActiveSync, rather than Win 7 with Windows Mobile whatever that replaced ActiveSync.

UPDATE: That was indeed the problem. I moved the operation to my XP machine, and the updater appears to be working. (It's a lengthy process. I'm waiting now while it reformats the flash memory.) When this is done, I hope to have a working WM 5. Then there's an update to that I need to apply. After that, I can think about trying the WM 6 ROM.

Last edited by starrigger; 12-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #70
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
It is always handy to setup a virtual XP machine in Windows 7. Then you don't need a second computer.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #71
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Well, that wasn't so much fun. Once I had WM 5 A01 installed, I could no longer connect to my PC. Had to update Activesync, and even then it took quite a bit of fooling around. But now I have the Axim updated as far as WM5 A02, and things seem to be working okay.

I'm wondering now what the percentage is on plowing ahead to WM 6. Anyone here experienced the difference between the two?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #72
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
The old AximSite has been changed to MobilitySite, but they kept the Axim archives in their forums.
The URL is http://www.mobilitysite.com/boards/x50-x51-forums/
You can probably find many of the answers you need there.

Joyce
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #73
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Well, that wasn't so much fun. Once I had WM 5 A01 installed, I could no longer connect to my PC. Had to update Activesync, and even then it took quite a bit of fooling around. But now I have the Axim updated as far as WM5 A02, and things seem to be working okay.

I'm wondering now what the percentage is on plowing ahead to WM 6. Anyone here experienced the difference between the two?
I have used all of them, 2003, 6, 6.1, and 6.5. The difference between 5 and 6 is not that great, some additional functionality (especially e-mail and contact management), compatibility with add-on programs, etc. The interface on 6.0 looks a little nicer. Though there are plenty of free add-ons which can give you a much easier to use interface. Check out the comparison table, WM 5 vs 6, at http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/attachment/1904298.ashx. For your purposes 5.0 could well be enough. Perhaps you should run your device on 5.0 for a while now and then decide.

By the way, if you ever want to browse the web on your device, get the free Opera Mobile 10.2 Beta and Skyfire. Forget the built-in browser, it stinks.

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-09-2009 at 07:49 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #74
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

After posting that, I decided, wotthehell, I'd gone that far, I might as well finish the job before I installed any programs. So I did the WM6 upgrade, then installed Mobipocket. I can't say that it seems any faster to me, but maybe for what I'm doing, I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Now I guess I should put eReader and Adobe and whatnot on it, and try out those epub readers. And then stop the neepery and start enjoying reading again.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #75
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
My 1st pocket PC was a Casseipia. Man I loved that thing. Was GREAT.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote