Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #706
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As @Skydog, you are supposed to be able to use the stylus to annotate sideloaded PDFs and ePubs. And people reported they could with the Elipsa. But, there appears to be a bug in the firmware on the Sage that means you cannot use the stylus to annotate ePubs. That has been reported to Kobo and it should be being fixed. But, I always recommend that people who see problems report them so that Kobo (or for that matter, any developer of software with bugs) know that it isn't an isolated problem and that people think it is important.
Video review on YT shows epub annotations are possible on the Sage.

9:00 minute mark. sideloaded epub

he sideloaded an epub via dropbox and annotated the book but the annotation stayed on the device only, but with pdf the annotation gets transferred to the dropbox pdf as well

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 10-25-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #707
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
he sideloaded an epub via dropbox and annotated the book but the annotation stayed on the device only, but with pdf the annotation gets transferred to the dropbox pdf as well
That is to be expected. The PDFs are actually being changed to store the annotations inside them. Which is a feature of the PDF format. But, it isn't for epub.

But, there was definite report of not being able to annotation ePubs with the stylus on the Sage. Now I wonder what was happening. It is possible the reviewer is using a different firmware version than what was used for the report. Whether it is a newer or older, I do not know.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #708
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is to be expected. The PDFs are actually being changed to store the annotations inside them. Which is a feature of the PDF format. But, it isn't for epub.

But, there was definite report of not being able to annotation ePubs with the stylus on the Sage. Now I wonder what was happening. It is possible the reviewer is using a different firmware version than what was used for the report. Whether it is a newer or older, I do not know.
Probably an older fw. He said it was a review unit that he used.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:27 AM   #709
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
I can use the stylus on epubs on my Sage. Firmware 4.29.18730.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:24 AM   #710
Joh4n
Joh4n began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I can use the stylus on epubs on my Sage. Firmware 4.29.18730.
Me too, but not on sideloaded kepubs.
Joh4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 02:18 AM   #711
Deobulakenyo
Guru

I have a question re Elipsa (and Sage) handwriting to text conversion.

Is the conversion accuracy affected by the language?

I mean for non-English languages that use English letters, is the accuracy affected?

example:

If i write "dito" in Filipino which is "here" in English, will it be converted to "ditto", sort of like auto-correct thingy?

Or if i write "sino" will it be converted to "sine"?
Old 10-26-2021, 02:20 AM   #712
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
The stylus doesn't work to write on kepubs, but it works as a "slender finger", on the Elipsa or the sage, but not on my Libra H2O. As such, it is easier to move the disks to adjust a selection to look for a word in dictionaries, or to select a sequence of words to underscore - which has the at first surprising effect that underscoring with the stylus point (apparently) on a kepub looks better than with the stylus button on a PDF.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:03 AM   #713
Joh4n
Joh4n began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
The stylus doesn't work to write on kepubs
I hope it will, though:

Supported file types
You can use your Kobo Stylus to write notes on these files:

Kobo ePub (.kepub)
ePub (.epub)
PDF (.pdf)
Note :Your Kobo Stylus cannot write notes on DRM-Protected PDF files and PDF files that disables annotations and markups.
Joh4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #714
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Re the note-taking function: does it have a loop/lassoo tool that allows you to select some inking and do stuff like move or delete?
I find that v useful but havent seen anyone doing it in videos.

I'm also now starting to compare:
- Supernote A5X
- Boox Note Air

My key criteria:
* 10 inch+ screen, which can show book covers
* 32 GB+ storage
* Good note-taking, ideally including lassoo
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:48 AM   #715
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
I just did a HUGE research project on what is the best 10.3 inch 32 GB device that is
- a great ereader
- a good note-taker

The Elipsa came in THIRD (with the Remarkable2).

First was Boox Note Air, close-ish second was Supernote A5X

Full info is here.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #716
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
I just did a HUGE research project on what is the best 10.3 inch 32 GB device that is
- a great ereader
- a good note-taker

The Elipsa came in THIRD (with the Remarkable2).

First was Boox Note Air, close-ish second was Supernote A5X

Full info is here.
Sorry but the quote below from your post made me wonder about the quality of your research.

Quote:
"Goodereader" is a retail outlet but their reviews are quite good and honest: if they see a shortcoming, they will say it.
Goodereader has not been referred to as "Badereader" rather often on these forums for the quality of their reviews and "news".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #717
cpimentel
Enthusiast
cpimentel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh4n View Post
I hope it will, though:

Supported file types
You can use your Kobo Stylus to write notes on these files:

Kobo ePub (.kepub)
ePub (.epub)
PDF (.pdf)
Note :Your Kobo Stylus cannot write notes on DRM-Protected PDF files and PDF files that disables annotations and markups.
Today for the 1st time I tested the stylus on a kepub from Kobo Store and it actually works!

Now 100% of my sideloaded kepubs didn't work, which is the reason I am not converting to this format anymore for a while or only in a case where epubs are not working properly (had speed problems with a heavily formatted epub).

Maybe during the weekend I might remove the DRM from one of these Kobo Store books and side load it to see what happens.

If you wanna try, here is one of the books, it is free: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/dom-casmurro-32

Last edited by cpimentel; 10-29-2021 at 02:13 PM. Reason: fixing typos
cpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #718
UCCU666
Enthusiast
UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma/Elipsa/Clara 2E/Libra 2, mooInk Plus 2, Pubook Pro 10.3
Quote:
Kobo firmware 4.30.18838

Elipsa:

Introducing support for Kobo Audiobooks*

• Listen to Kobo Audiobooks* on Kobo Elipsa with your Bluetooth® headphones, car stereo, or speaker.

• Browse, search and purchase audiobooks directly from Discover > Audiobooks* or visit kobo.com.

• You can now filter by Audiobooks or eBooks in the My Books menu.

• My Wishlist is now moved to the More menu.

• To learn more about available subscriptions for Kobo Audiobooks* where you live, visit kobo.com.

•* Available in select countries only
After firmware update , Elipsa finally support AudioBooks with bluetooth.

PS: I had trouble with my bluetooth Page-turner on Elipsa.

it auto turns off bluetooth connection frequently if i dont keep using the Page-turner.
approximately 10~15 second after i turn the page.

anyone have the same problem?

is it possible to force bluetooth connection on ? (there is only force Wi-Fi on in the devmodeon)
UCCU666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #719
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCCU666 View Post
After firmware update , Elipsa finally support AudioBooks with bluetooth.

PS: I had trouble with my bluetooth Page-turner on Elipsa.

it auto turns off bluetooth connection frequently if i dont keep using the Page-turner.
approximately 10~15 second after i turn the page.

anyone have the same problem?

is it possible to force bluetooth connection on ? (there is only force Wi-Fi on in the devmodeon)
Why are you duplicating your post?

Last edited by Skydog; 11-01-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #720
JoeRabbit
JoeRabbit began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Try this kobopatch libnickel patch (completely untested, and I've also barely even looked at these versions yet). You will need to make the kobopatch configuration from scratch since I haven't released updated patches yet.

Code:
Enable markup for sideloaded kepubs:
  - Enabled: yes
  - ReplaceBytes:
      Base: "KepubMarkupDelegate::isMarkupSupported(Volume const&)"
      Offset: 64
      FindInstBLX: {SymPLT: "Content::isSideLoaded() const"}
      ReplaceH: 4F F0 00 00
If it doesn't work, it may either do nothing, cause the reader to crash and reboot when viewing a sideloaded kepub book (until you remove the patch), or only partially enable markup.
Hello,

Is there any chance to see this patch included one day?

It would be really useful for the Sage or the Elipsa, what a shame not to be able to use the stylus.
JoeRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote