Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #676
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Pushka,

I think I was just very lucky and made an on-topic suggestion in a thread about listening to various types of music. Subsequently some other high-karma people were kind enough to boost me.

As for myself, I'm actually a technology worker, running my own businesses including;

* Programming (I write OpenSource and commercial software - mostly email filtering centric)
* Electronics design (custom designs and production)
* Model aircraft (a hobby that went into business - not a good idea in hindsight)

... and now of course I'm doing marketing/publishing/media for Elita's career as a novelist.

It's interesting being the partner to an author - living through the highs and lows of their writing process; trying to help them out when things seem impossible. I do very much enjoy it though and it's wonderful, despite being difficult at times, to be engaged in a rather new field.

We were lucky that by the time Elita had finished Tree of Life, the eBook revolution was really moving and print-on-demand services such as Lightning Source Int were accessible.

Just checked my order again, it's still in the "you can change" phase, so you're looking as though you're ahead of me

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #677
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Many people on the whirlpool forums with orders as recently as the 18th are getting shipping notices now - a whole new container must just have arrived. The credit card was just debited too! I was having a panic because I am off interstate for work after the October long weekend, and our courier company (DHL dont deliver to our address) simply leaves them on the verandah even though we dont authorise them to do that.

We are both off to a Conference in Boston in a few weeks time, courtesy of his book - and Barnes and Noble are the people at the conference who are selling it. I have converted his books to my kindle, and have hacked the kindle so that his book covers are the screensavers for his kindle. So that is pretty cool I think.

His last book was written in about 12 weeks - that was a nightmare for us - I am thinking a 12 week labor! And now he wants to write another one (his field is business books - very unusual for an Australian he keeps getting told) so he has been given strict instructions this time or I will move out for the duration..

Anyways, sounds like next week will be a good one and I bet you will be ordering your own kindle in a week's time!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #678
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

( Rather than drowning this important thread with offtopic chatter - I created a new thread with a hint of loving humour to talk about our author-spouses - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99564 )

Paul.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #679
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
My delivery estimate was pushed back another day. Lovely.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #680
bball2
bball2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My delivery estimate just got pushed back an extra week (23rd -> 29th) =\

(Calgary, Canada)
bball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #681
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They obviously don't have great logistical control over sales numbers.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #682
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Well, my K3 has now gone into the "Dark side of the moon" phase, where it's here in AU, it's now within the local delivery network and there's no more updates. Sometimes, very rarely it turns up within 24 hours, most times however it seems to dawdle around for a bit longer. Amusing that it can get from the US -> Brisbane within 3 days but takes almost as long to get from the customs depot to me.

Paul.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #683
Pushka
Wizard

Yup, as is mine. One time it sat in the local courier for 30 hours, which is I found out, 20 minutes down the road from me. And another time I checked the status, and it said it was delivered. WTF! I was at home with the main door wide open and nada. I rang the courier, they said it was on the front door step. Nada. I rang them back and the courier driver said he was going to drive back to my place and show me (huffing and puffing about the bother I was being). About 20 minutes later, a near neighbour said she found this box addressed to me on her doorstep. Lucky I have honest neighbours. And I rang the courier company back and suggested their drivers exercise a litte more care next time!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #684
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I just got my K3 delivered this morning. It was agonizing to follow it's slow and winding path all the way over here - Portland, Cincinnati, Hong Kong, Singapore, (back to!) Hong Kong and then finally KL - but it's here now and it's working. The latter is always a worry when getting a Kindle delivered to a non-supported country.

We shall see how we get on. The screen size is really tiny to me (presumably because I come from reading on a KDX or iPad), which is a worry but I'm hoping that's just something I'll get used to.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #685
Pushka
Wizard

Hey Scott, someone in another forum from Malaysia wants to buy one but obviously cant. Maybe you have some clues for them?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #686
nubreader
Enthusiast
nubreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
finally got mine this morning too..
ordered placed on 17th and shipped via comgateway to singapore with express shipping.. but looks to be, the express ain't that express after all. my package were stucked in the delivery facility for 2 full days

nevertheless, the precious is in my hand and am loving it.
nubreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #687
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Hey Scott, someone in another forum from Malaysia wants to buy one but obviously cant. Maybe you have some clues for them?
AMEX has a service - called Global e-Shop or Com Gateway - that I use. They will buy the Kindle (or anything else for that matter) on your behalf. The benefit of that is they buy it with a U.S. credit card and a U.S. shipping address. AMEX in turn then ships it onwards to me. I've used them many times and it works really well.

Another alternative is to use services such as U.S. Unlocked or Entropay but I have no first hand experience of either.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #688
Scott Nielsen
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubreader View Post
finally got mine this morning too..
ordered placed on 17th and shipped via comgateway to singapore with express shipping.. but looks to be, the express ain't that express after all. my package were stucked in the delivery facility for 2 full days
Ah - we used the same service. Do you know if it is (still?) exclusive to AMEX or do they accept all major credit cards now? I seem to recall getting a message from them quite awhile ago saying they accept all major cards but I can't find it now.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #689
Scott Nielsen
Groupie

Double checked their site and they accept AMEX, Visa, MC, JCB and PayPal.

They are found here: http://www.comgateway.com
Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #690
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Well, 5pm has passed here and no K3 ... so maybe tomorrow