Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #646
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But now that it is here for me, I find it sort of underwhelming. Not something I can see myself using for any reason. I barely use Word for anything.
I took a look at network traffic to see what Word is sending to Amazon. For the “kindle book” option it uploads a docx file and for the “printed document” option it converts to PDF and sends that. It adds nothing that you couldn’t do already using the existing save and PDF export options combined with the send-to-kindle website.

I agree with calling it underwhelming. I believe that it only exists because Microsoft and Amazon want to work together against Apple and Google.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #647
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
So now that I have a Premium Pen, I want to be able to assign 'Undo' to the button. However, this option doesn't exist. IIRC, there was no Undo until the first update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2023, 03:38 PM   #648
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that it only exists because Microsoft and Amazon want to work together against Apple and Google.
Possibly. In fact very likely.

I'll be slightly amused (and amazed) if Fire changes to use MS Windows for ARM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #649
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
So now that I have a Premium Pen, I want to be able to assign 'Undo' to the button. However, this option doesn't exist. IIRC, there was no Undo until the first update.
There wasn't and isn't an undo. I have had the PP from beginning. Current 5.16.1.3 FW still does not have undo assignable to the button, only: highlighter, pen, fountain pen, marker, pencil, eraser, sticky note, and off.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 05-14-2023 at 03:48 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #650
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Not at present, unless you have an Apple Silicon Mac and the beta version of the Kindle app. Not sure they are still looking for testers:

https://twitter.com/AmazonKindle/sta...12923262009347

And you can Share a Notebook (sends a link to a PDF download to your email).

It sleeps like any other Kindle, no adjustment. It will wake to whatever you were doing before.
I just signed up for the Kindle for Mac beta - thanks for pointing it out. It's great to finally be able to access my personal documents on the Mac and not just the Kindle purchases.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2023, 09:04 PM   #651
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There wasn't and isn't an undo. I have had the PP from beginning. Current 5.16.1.3 FW still does not have undo assignable to the button, only: highlighter, pen, fountain pen, marker, pencil, eraser, sticky note, and off.
Of course there is Undo action, on all of the writing toolbars. And it should be one of the assignable actions. This is the point I'm making.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-14-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:09 PM   #652
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
I just signed up for the Kindle for Mac beta - thanks for pointing it out. It's great to finally be able to access my personal documents on the Mac and not just the Kindle purchases.
That, and cloud collections (if you use them) and immersion reading (if you have any of those titles). And Notebook viewer (if you have Scribe).

I hope they see fit to add more keyboard shortcuts (toggle display of ToC, Notes, Xray, Aa, close book etc) and port those to iOS app. I'd also like multiple open documents (on Mac and iPadOS). Apple Books supports this on Mac.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #653
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I did not know this existed:

https://read.amazon.com/kindle-notebook

Last edited by tomsem; 05-17-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #654
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
I did not know this existed:

https://read.amazon.com/kindle-notebook
Oh that’s pretty cool! Thanks for sharing this
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:13 PM   #655
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

In the 'you probably already knew this' category, it turns out that you can change the template any time (for example to remove lines used to keep your handwriting straight, or remove grid used to lay out a diagram, by changing to blank template).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2023_05_19T18_28_39-0700.png
Views:	119
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	201620  
Old 05-20-2023, 04:08 AM   #656
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
In the 'you probably already knew this' category, it turns out that you can change the template any time (for example to remove lines used to keep your handwriting straight, or remove grid used to lay out a diagram, by changing to blank template).
The only issue is the inability to choose a different template on a per page basis.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #657
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The only issue is the inability to choose a different template on a per page basis.
True, the use cases this enables are relatively limited. But I think those it does enable justify the feature, especially those where you want to change to Blank template.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:33 AM   #658
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I too made the jump and after going back and forth for weeks in my mind between the Scribe and the Elipsa 2E, a writing test on both at a friend’s house made me go for the Scribe. I was waiting for Prime days in the summer but a short window of a few days with a good price last week on the 16GB Scribe did the trick.

I am so far very happy with the Scribe. I liked both the Scribe and the Elipsa 2E, but the Scribe is more valuable to me because the writing experience suits my writing style much better. Also, in the last years, I have migrated from my laptop (using it less and less and a keeping it now as a backup solution) to mainly working on my ipad. So the ability to email my books and not going through Calibre is a huge plus (I have a dropbox account but it’s a basic one and I do not want to pay for a larger one as I already pay a lot for my main Cloud service). I also do not care anymore about the fonts, the CSS style etc. I just read and take notes.

I am not using a lot of PDF but my epubs are mainly non fiction and I often make tons of notes. I prefer the sticky note system as writing directly on the page makes it completely illegible with my writing and quite disorganised.

Using my ipad for everything (working and reading) was unproblematic except for the battery. I am now working on the ipad and reading on the Scribe and that works very well. Ideally, my logi keys-to-go would also connect with the Scribe but oh well. Obviously I now have more weight to carry around in my pack but it’s worth it imho. I may even be able to lose the portable battery in which case the total weight (ipad+scribe+logi) would amount to about the same as before.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:37 AM   #659
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
So a week later, still very happy with my Scribe. Not so much with the third party cover I originally bought and am now sending back after I managed to get a “used but almost new” original pink cover for 44 € (still a ripoff but at least it works as it should).

I also bought a “used but good” Noris jumbo because the Scribe stylus is too thin for my taste, I like the Noris much better even though I miss the button from time to time.

And one week of reading (and taking notes) for at least 2 hours a day used 20% of the battery which is in my opinion very impressive (I recharged it on 21st of May and am now down to 78%). Nothing like both our oasis, which do need to be plugged in once a week.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:26 PM   #660
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I still have not gotten used to using the Pen button for anything (just got one recently). I would especially like to assign Undo or Lasso, things it won't do in the current software. Another thing I do a lot is Erase Page, also not assignable. And not used to using the other end for eraser, prefer to just use toolbar to switch.

I have two covers: one an origami cover with secure snap in for Pen, wake on open ($15). Pretty light compared to most others, and as a stand, works pretty well. The other is a clear case, again with snap in for Pen, and even lighter ($25).

To me the back protection is superfluous, wish someone made one without most of the back so it's even lighter. I could take a utility knife to it I suppose, but don't think I could manage to avoid messing it up.