Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2023, 07:16 PM   #631
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astirling View Post
I’m thinking about buying the scribe. My note taking requirements are pretty basic. What I really need to know is whether or not there’s any way of viewing the handwritten notes on my Mac. I essentially want them on screen so that I can then type them up into something I can use for work.

Does the mac kindle app let me view my handwritten notes. Or is there a kindle web app which can show them?

Also…I understand the device sleeps pretty quickly. Is there any way of continuing to show the current note on screen when it sleeps? Or at the very least, does waking the device take you back to where you were before the device went into sleep mode?
Not at present, unless you have an Apple Silicon Mac and the beta version of the Kindle app. Not sure they are still looking for testers:

https://twitter.com/AmazonKindle/sta...12923262009347

And you can Share a Notebook (sends a link to a PDF download to your email).

It sleeps like any other Kindle, no adjustment. It will wake to whatever you were doing before.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-17-2023 at 07:29 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:26 AM   #632
astirling
astirling began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Thanks for that. I do have an apple silicon Mac but not in the US so I can't sign up. Send to pdf will do the trick though.
astirling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #633
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Just got an email about new features for the Scribe starting today including two pages side by side in landscape mode plus notebook navigation improvements and other bits.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:11 PM   #634
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Just got an email about new features for the Scribe starting today including two pages side by side in landscape mode plus notebook navigation improvements and other bits.
See the Update for Kindle Scribe (5.16.1.3) thread in this forum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:31 PM   #635
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I took the update today and then of that shows on my scribe
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2023, 09:24 AM   #636
shaunconn
shaunconn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Still no way to browse your notebooks from the MacBook though - I opened a support ticket, the menu item "show notebooks" in the Mac kindle app is greyed out. I was told today that:

the Kindle for Mac does not support Kindle Scribe notes. Only Kindle for iOS and Kindle for Android can display notes from Kindle Scribe. The "Show notebook" only allow the customers to show notes from books and not notes written from Kindle Scribe.

I've asked if its a future plan, as not syncing with the laptop seems to fundamentally miss something.
shaunconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #637
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunconn View Post
Still no way to browse your notebooks from the MacBook though - I opened a support ticket, the menu item "show notebooks" in the Mac kindle app is greyed out.
Recent releases of the Kindle for Mac app have the following message built in:

Quote:
Support for this app is ending on May 31, 2023

Get the new Kindle for Mac from the App Store to read with the latest Kindle features for Mac, explore millions of Kindle books, and receive regular app updates.
The message includes a link to the Kindle for iOS app in the app store.

As far as I know this message isn't actually being shown to customers so it is possible that this plan has either been rejected or delayed.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:50 PM   #638
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Recent releases of the Kindle for Mac app have the following message built in:

The message includes a link to the Kindle for iOS app in the app store.

As far as I know this message isn't actually being shown to customers so it is possible that this plan has either been rejected or delayed.
I've been playing with the Kindle for Mac beta. It's virtually identical to the iPad app (via Mac Catalyst, I assume). Last updated 19 April, and the app 'expires in 71 days'.

I would assume it is on track for release at some point. Probably only for Ventura, and maybe only Apple Silicon to start with (beta version will not run on Intel).

Last edited by tomsem; 05-09-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:13 PM   #639
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I've been playing with the Kindle for Mac beta. It's virtually identical to the iPad app (via Mac Catalyst, I assume).
Are Scribe notebooks viewable in the beta app?
Old 05-09-2023, 02:20 PM   #640
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are Scribe notebooks viewable in the beta app?
Yes, they are. Just like the apps, notebooks cannot display 'full screen' (without the home/library/thumbnail/discover/more at bottom, with the thumbnail intruding a bit).

But like the current Mac app, does not have a storefront in it, so no Home or Discover.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-09-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #641
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I see someone on Reddit is claiming they have the Send to Kindle Share option in Word for Windows (but without any details). I'm on Microsoft 365 Insider Release channel, and just got an update, but still don't see it. Not clear how they are rolling this thing out.

As far as I can tell from the screenshots Amazon has posted, it's just an additional option from just sending a DOCX file: select fixed or reflow able. And I'm going to assume the return product is a PDF with flat images of the pages (fixed layout) or the text + sticky notes you've created (reflow able), just as we already have.

In the meantime, I'm curious about what Notebook format is, in particular what is in the nbk and nbk-journal files. The .PNG thumbnails I assume are just the latest visual state, but 'nbk' may be sort of (sqlite?) database with a vector representation, and 'nbk-journal' might be strokes for a given notebook session, which have not yet been synced to cloud. I'll start a separate thread if get anywhere with this.

I just got a second Scribe (the Mother's Day sale was awesome and I upgraded to 32gb + PP and got $80 trade in my 9 year old Echo, which was collecting dust), and $25 book credit. I am going to see if mom wants my 'old' one, but in meantime I can see how sync works (or doesn't).

Some people on Reddit are still complaining about 'lost notebooks' even after the latest update; it seems like you should just be able to copy off .notebooks folder now and then to recover from this by restoring from that backup (seems like re-register or reset should work as well).

Last edited by tomsem; 05-12-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:14 AM   #642
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see someone on Reddit is claiming they have the Send to Kindle Share option in Word for Windows (but without any details). I'm on Microsoft 365 Insider Release channel, and just got an update, but still don't see it. Not clear how they are rolling this thing out.
I am a Microsoft 365 subscriber and I received the update awhile ago. It is accessed using File, Export, Send documents to Kindle. See attached screenshots.

Quote:
In the meantime, I'm curious about what Notebook format is, in particular what is in the nbk and nbk-journal files. The .PNG thumbnails I assume are just the latest visual state, but 'nbk' may be sort of (sqlite?) database with a vector representation, and 'nbk-journal' might be strokes for a given notebook session, which have not yet been synced to cloud. I'll start a separate thread if get anywhere with this.
A separate file with a name ending in "-journal" is a normal part of an SQLite database. It is a Rollback Journal, a temporary file used to implement atomic commit and rollback capabilities in SQLite.

Quote:
Some people on Reddit are still complaining about 'lost notebooks' even after the latest update; it seems like you should just be able to copy off .notebooks folder now and then to recover from this by restoring from that backup (seems like re-register or reset should work as well).
That might work or it might cause new problems. Amazon is trying to keep the contents of notebooks in sync with their servers by delivering incremental updates when something changes. Replacing the file with one in a different state might screw that up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	201511   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	201512  

Last edited by jhowell; 05-12-2023 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #643
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am a Microsoft 365 subscriber and I received the update awhile ago. It is accessed using File, Export, Send documents to Kindle. See attached screenshots.
Thanks, for some reason I was looking in Sharing options in Word.

Quote:
A separate file with a name ending in "-journal" is a normal part of an SQLite database. It is a Rollback Journal, a temporary file used to implement atomic commit and rollback capabilities in SQLite.
Thanks for the clues.

Quote:
That might work or it might cause new problems. Amazon is trying to keep the contents of notebooks in sync with their servers by delivering incremental updates when something changes. Replacing the file with one in a different state might screw that up.
I have not had any issues myself, and the few accounts aren't detailed enough to isolate what might be going on. Usually they involve being offline for some reason (either to save battery or because they're using somewhere without WiFi), and after sync one or more of their notebooks 'disappears' ('58 pages of journal'). Yet the thumbnails still show in iOS/Android apps. I'm guessing sync was incomplete (might have hit some limit on number of offline changes?), notebook database is corrupted or something and Scribe fails to list it.

So restoring an older version of the specific notebook database might allow sync to succeed by applying later changes that were recorded in cloud. But it might not, as you suggest.

But it seems unregister and re-register would let you start fresh with whatever made it to the cloud successfully.

It seems advisable to create smaller notebooks to minimize loss potential, especially now that there are folders you can organize things with, the "don't put all your eggs in one basket principal".

Last edited by tomsem; 05-12-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #644
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
On my PC I've looked at a few Word docs/files and when I go to File, Export all I get is Create PDF or Change File Type. No send to Kindle.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:04 PM   #645
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, pretty sure I tried to post this before but yes: I'm seeing the Send to Kindle Export option now (could have been there before but I was looking at Share).

But now that it is here for me, I find it sort of underwhelming. Not something I can see myself using for any reason. I barely use Word for anything.