Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 08:27 AM   #601
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Has it been confirmed that the new Clara BW has a faster processor? Looking at the specs for the Clara BW and Clara 2e on Kobo's site, there is no mention of the processor, other then "1GHZ".
The Tolino versions of the new Kobo readers where also announced today (see here), which appear to have identical hardware.

Tolino lists these processors for the three devices:

MediaTEK MT8113L - ARM A53 1.0 GHz for the black / white Tolino Shine (Kobo Clara BW equivalent).
MediaTEK MTK8113T - Dual Core ARM A53 2.0 GHz for the Tolino Shine Color and Vision Color (equivalent to the Kobo Clara Color and Libra Color).
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:28 AM   #602
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
But they left the Sage stagger on for at least another 6 months, with all its known battery issues. That's the surprise to me.
Over 5 hours solid reading (and I read faster than average, so plenty of power consuming page turns) is about 20% drop. That's not as good as a Libra or Libra 2, but still very usable. There are no multiple issues.

Obviously with the 8″ screen a front light at same brightness uses a lot more power than on a 6″ ereader. But I don't use front light, wifi or BT.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 08:44 AM   #603
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I find interesting is that the new Color Libra has a 2 core processor, a bigger battery, and 1GB of RAM. Now if only Kobo would do the same to the Libra 2 BW.
That would be my wish too. I don't want the color Libra with the Kaleido tech, which makes the screen darker and would force me to use more frontlight. I already use the frontlight at middle or high levels on my Libra, as I mostly read on it in daylight and want my screen to be off-white, not grey.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:47 AM   #604
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Over 5 hours solid reading (and I read faster than average, so plenty of power consuming page turns) is about 20% drop. That's not as good as a Libra or Libra 2, but still very usable. There are no multiple issues.

Obviously with the 8″ screen a front light at same brightness uses a lot more power than on a 6″ ereader. But I don't use front light, wifi or BT.
Yeah, the numbers are far from being this rosy with the frontlight on even at a low level. I can't read without frontlight; the screen is too dark and the contrast too poor for my eyes.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:48 AM   #605
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
I'm still holding out hope for a Carta 1300 refresh for Libra.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 09:18 AM   #606
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFrog View Post
I'm still holding out hope for a Carta 1300 refresh for Libra.
Has to also have the new battery and the new processor or forget it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:40 AM   #607
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
The Tolino versions of the new Kobo readers where also announced today (see here), which appear to have identical hardware.

Tolino lists these processors for the three devices:

MediaTEK MT8113L - ARM A53 1.0 GHz for the black / white Tolino Shine (Kobo Clara BW equivalent).
MediaTEK MTK8113T - Dual Core ARM A53 2.0 GHz for the Tolino Shine Color and Vision Color (equivalent to the Kobo Clara Color and Libra Color).
The Elipsa 2E has a very similar looking MediaTEK MT8113 dual core 2GHz CPU.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:44 AM   #608
Thena
Thena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
But they left the Sage stagger on for at least another 6 months, with all its known battery issues. That's the surprise to me.
The Libra 2 is their biggest selling ereader and needed an upgrade so going with it first makes sense. The Clara is their second biggest seller so they wanted to get ahead on both with colour before moving to the Sage. They will need to bump the Sage up a lot by battery, processor, RAM and the market share is smaller.

Most of the users will probably not notice the contrast issues with the Colour because the frontlight will offset it.

I wanted an updated Libra BW with 1300, better processor and battery too, but we don't know when that will happen. The Sage Colour will probably be the next release.
Thena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:02 PM   #609
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
The Libra 2 is their biggest selling ereader and needed an upgrade so going with it first makes sense. The Clara is their second biggest seller so they wanted to get ahead on both with colour before moving to the Sage. They will need to bump the Sage up a lot by battery, processor, RAM and the market share is smaller.

Most of the users will probably not notice the contrast issues with the Colour because the frontlight will offset it.

I wanted an updated Libra BW with 1300, better processor and battery too, but we don't know when that will happen. The Sage Colour will probably be the next release.
i agree
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:15 PM   #610
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can the color layer be ripped off off the Libra Color so it's a Libra BW?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #611
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
The Tolino's seems also to be cheaper. The Vision Colour (=Libra Colour) is just €199 vs €229. Pays about half of your optional Kobo/Tolino stylus (in both cases €69)
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:37 PM   #612
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But on a video the 1/2 resolution isn't obvious. Also I almost never use a front light.
I'm talking about the contrast, not the resolution, and I always use a frontlight.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:44 PM   #613
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
They will need to bump the Sage up a lot by battery, processor, RAM and the market share is smaller.
That's true. PocketBook is buying a large number of the bigger screens, so perhaps E-Ink can't supply enough for them and Kobo.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:54 PM   #614
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm talking about the contrast, not the resolution, and I always use a frontlight.
A video on youtube is also useless to gauge contrast.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:56 PM   #615
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
That's true. PocketBook is buying a large number of the bigger screens, so perhaps E-Ink can't supply enough for them and Kobo.
Pocketbook are a tiny company compared to Rakuten, owner of Kobo. Also much less volume than Kobo.