Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #601
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Does that make us English speakers pirates then?

We need DRM on the spoken word!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #602
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What are talking about? You are stating things that you have no idea if they are true. I had a choice of buying LRX or ePub.

And ePub on my Sony is a mess. No headers, screwy page numbers, no full justification. That's not what I paid for. YMMV.
ePub on the 505 is not a mess. No headers is not an issue. In fact, it's a blessing. The page numbers are not screwy. In fact, the make very good sense. I know there is no full justification. I've read many an ePub that way without any problems.

What you paid for is DRM that cannot be stripped. You paid for headers that waste screen space and have no real use. You paid for margins that are way too small with a base font that is way too small and when you set the font size to medium, you get many lines with wide gaps between the words. Also you get page numbers that change when you change the font size. In English, you get a mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #603
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I may be wrong. . My apologies if I am.

My recollection is I could buy LRX from Sony, or ePub from other vendors. I may be wrong.
No need to apologize. We could both be correct or wrong. I have no idea now that I think of it.

But before Sony added ADE to the 505, all you had was BBeB. Yes, you could go ePub or LRX after Sony added ADE and the publishers started selling in ePub.

If you had a choice of LRX or ePub depended when you bought the LRX and if the publisher had an ePub edition at the time you bought the LRX.

So I'm not sure if we can say if you had a choice or not.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #604
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why is it a fail?
Social DRM would mean the customer checks out the eBook and will get to keep it. That's not how it should work.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #605
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Loan words? English doesn't just borrow words, it steals them outright!
English doesn't just accept words from other languages, it waylays them in dark alleys and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #606
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Nicely said, Worldwalker. Manuals written by people like Graves and Hodges often blame the illogical syntax of English (and praise its expressive vocabulary) on centuries of linguistic muggings.

Of course, as a country, England was usually the one getting mugged back then.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #607
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Social DRM would mean the customer checks out the eBook and will get to keep it. That's not how it should work.
Should work? Why does it matter that customers keep the library book? Most people do not re-read books so they will probably just erase the book when they have read it. The social DRM encourage people not to distribute the book because if the libarary find out they will not be able to lend more books. I think it will work very well.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #608
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
English doesn't just accept words from other languages, it waylays them in dark alleys and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Yes, yes it does...and more...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #609
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
ePub on the 505 is not a mess. No headers is not an issue. In fact, it's a blessing. The page numbers are not screwy. In fact, the make very good sense. I know there is no full justification. I've read many an ePub that way without any problems.

What you paid for is DRM that cannot be stripped. You paid for headers that waste screen space and have no real use. You paid for margins that are way too small with a base font that is way too small and when you set the font size to medium, you get many lines with wide gaps between the words. Also you get page numbers that change when you change the font size. In English, you get a mess.
That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO, DRM is preventing me from reading what I paid for.

Quote:
No need to apologize. We could both be correct or wrong. I have no idea now that I think of it.

But before Sony added ADE to the 505, all you had was BBeB. Yes, you could go ePub or LRX after Sony added ADE and the publishers started selling in ePub.

If you had a choice of LRX or ePub depended when you bought the LRX and if the publisher had an ePub edition at the time you bought the LRX.

So I'm not sure if we can say if you had a choice or not.
I was being conservative because you seemed certain. Since other posts seem to agree with my memory, The apology seems to be unnecessary ; You were wrong.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #610
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Should work? Why does it matter that customers keep the library book? Most people do not re-read books so they will probably just erase the book when they have read it. The social DRM encourage people not to distribute the book because if the libarary find out they will not be able to lend more books. I think it will work very well.
Some peaple would definitifly abuse that.

One of the problem with library, is that we've tried to emulate the "paper book". Rather than going for solutions that would work better for e-books.

I would go for something like : as member of the library, i can cheek out x book at a current time, and checkout x book per month. Guess the mess is some specific software / format for library book. Something to enforce the date thingy, without making a mess of the user's life.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-27-2011 at 07:56 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #611
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Some peaple would definitifly abuse that.

One of the problem with library, is that we've tried to emulate the "paper book". Rather than going for solutions that would work better for e-books.

I would go for something like : as member of the library, i can cheek out x book at a current time, and checkout x book per month. Guess the mess is some specific software / format for library book. Something to enforce the date thingy, without making a mess of the user's life.
Some people abuse borrowing paper books from library. So I really do not see the problem. And I do not see how they can abuse it in a way that they cannot abuse the current system with library ebooks.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #612
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Some people abuse borrowing paper books from library. So I really do not see the problem. And I do not see how they can abuse it in a way that they cannot abuse the current system with library ebooks.
Seen that way.
Now that you mention it, there wouldn’t be much more problem than having the paid for books without DRM. Making sure one person can't checkout too many books would do the trick.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #613
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Should work? Why does it matter that customers keep the library book? Most people do not re-read books so they will probably just erase the book when they have read it. The social DRM encourage people not to distribute the book because if the library find out they will not be able to lend more books. I think it will work very well.
Still won't work. People will still send around eBooks. They will find a way. And there is no way social DRM would be used to shut down the library if found out to be shared. Maybe the user's library card revoked.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #614
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO, DRM is preventing me from reading what I paid for.
Until I moved from my 505 to a 650, I was still able to load and use the LRX I purchased. Did you do something to your 505 that prevents the LRX you purchased from working? Also, when Sony went ePub, I basically ditched the LRX in favor or ePub.

Quote:
I was being conservative because you seemed certain. Since other posts seem to agree with my memory, The apology seems to be unnecessary ; You were wrong.
There was LRX before ePub. Then we had ePub and even when we had LRX & ePub, we didn't have all the LRX in ePub. So really, you may or may not have been able to have purchased all of your LRX in LRX or ePub. You may have only had a choice of LRX until the ePub edition was released.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #615
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Nicely said, Worldwalker.
Not original. I stole the line from James Nicoll. (slightly NSFW quote)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote