Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #46
kkr1231
kkr1231 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a reader that also allows you to listen to audiobooks?
kkr1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #47
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Don't forget to look here..........

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr1231 View Post
Is there a reader that also allows you to listen to audiobooks?
Most every reader comes with a MP3 player built in. the Kindle actually supports Audible.com audio books. It is the only reader I am aware of that does.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #49
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most every reader comes with a MP3 player built in.
While the Sony 505 & 600's do & support MP3 & AAC formats (but normally not DRMed tracks) , the Sony 300 (Pocket) doesn't have any audio capabilities.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #50
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Another thing, if you advice the Amazon store, also mention that it is not available anywhere but in the US. Not too sure about the Sony store availability...
Amazon / Kindle is now available international, well at least it got launched in Australia few weeks ago. Just the wireless download might not work everywhere.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #51
rodin123
rodin123 began at the beginning.

Hi, I'm from India - the thread heading seems to be a misnomer: "The Handy Dandy Guide to What Reader You Should Buy"? Apart from the reference to the Wiki matrix, there's nothing specific about gadgets?

Now let's see: I came here through a Google search, trying to find info on what device I should buy and what device is available [in India]. What I was looking for was something like "Iliad's battery rating does not live up to billing - they have admitted" - which, incidentally, is somewhere else in Wiki itself and which I stumbled on searching around. Instead, this seems to be more about bookstores?

Oh well, on with the search. I'm rather thinking about the Hanlin - I have ebooks on my computer in pdf, lit, html & doc formats. So I go in for a device which doesn't handle all of these and break my head doing conversions, or I go for Hanlin. Any suggestions on this, any one?
rodin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #52
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin123 View Post
Oh well, on with the search. I'm rather thinking about the Hanlin - I have ebooks on my computer in pdf, lit, html & doc formats. So I go in for a device which doesn't handle all of these and break my head doing conversions, or I go for Hanlin. Any suggestions on this, any one?
I have the Hanlin V5 (Pocket Pro in the US). I've read pdf, lit and html on it. The wiki says it does .doc, but I wouldn't pollute any device I own with that format, so I haven't tried it.

I really like mine. It is a good size, it boots quickly, there are 3 ways to turn pages so I can change how I'm holding it as I read, I can drag and drop non-DRM books to it (I use Linux), it is expandable and it fits in my inside jacket pocket.

If you want lots of formats, it seems to be the best choice. That was a big selling point for me.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #53
MaynardGKrebs
MaynardGKrebs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I've read clear through this thread and haven't seen anything that would have helped me choose the most appropriate device. There are a lot of words here, but almost no data, and what little data there are, are unsystematic.
MaynardGKrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #54
Sattekop
Sattekop began at the beginning.

Will be interesting to see if/how the Apple Tablet ISlate is going to change this market..... I think we will find out end of Jan 2010.
Sattekop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #55
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
I've read clear through this thread and haven't seen anything that would have helped me choose the most appropriate device. There are a lot of words here, but almost no data, and what little data there are, are unsystematic.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattekop View Post
Will be interesting to see if/how the Apple Tablet ISlate is going to change this market..... I think we will find out end of Jan 2010.
I can't imagine it will. Assuming Apple does announce/release a table/slate form factor Mac on Jan 27th I expect that it will have an LCD screen and be at least $1500. Also, if they are lucky the batter would last 5hours. So, it can't expect to compete with a $250 eInk dedicated ebook reader device.

Perhaps someone that is willing to by one as a portable web browser/PC, etc would also read ebooks on it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #57
TonyTerra
TonyTerra began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500,Sony PRS505 & Viewsonic VEB612,Apple 64GB ipad,Sony PRS950
Found the comparison page extremely useful Many Thanks
TonyTerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #58
violetspike
violetspike began at the beginning.

Device: None
N00b

Hi there!
I'm new here so if this is not the appropriate place for this post, let me know.

I am looking to dive into the ebook world but I am not sure which reader would suit me best.
I am planning to use the reader mostly for fan fiction which can be downloaded in several different forms; .pdf, .doc, even cut and paste .txt and html.

I'd like a reader to travel with and that's not too expensive.
I have been looking into the Sony PRS 300 and the Astac Pocket Pro. I’d have likely bought the Sony already if it had a card slot.
These are both about the price I'd be willing to pay at around $200.

Are there any other devices I should be considering.

I live in the U.S.

Thanks all so much.
Violetspike.
violetspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #59
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Violetspike, I have the Pocket Pro, and have read .txt, .pdf and .html files on it without issue. It is supposed to do .docs, but I don't, so I haven't tested it. Getting the files from my computer to my Pocket Pro is a matter of plugging in the USB cable, telling it to connect (not to charge) and then dragging and dropping the files.

I very much like my Pocket Pro, and it fits well in the inside pocket of my favourite jacket. This is very handy for travel.

You might want to read the forums here on the Sony PRS 300 and the Aztac forum, too. You'll see what people have trouble with and how responsive people are to issues.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #60
newengland
newengland began at the beginning.

Which Reader

Hi can somebody please help, I want to have the greatest selection of books to purchase, which reader is best for that?
newengland is offline   Reply With Quote