Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #46
StephenQueen
Enthusiast
StephenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
ok; let's try
StephenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #47
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

can you point me in the right direction? don't see nothing called One click install, don't want to end up patching with the wrong thing
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 03:58 PM   #48
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

Well, I assume this is the thread, isn't it?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220
Old 01-22-2022, 05:02 PM   #49
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

Well, you were wright, It was easy. and have to recognize that koreader makes my epubs to be more readable, I had troubles with the stock kobo reader software and my epubs.

And now the issues. Some kind of stupidity has made me to do things too fast.
So didn´t pay attention enough the recommendation of being careful with preventing Nickel from scanning *nix hidden folders, and now I have my ereader full with covers of books that are in truth, trillions of icons from (wherever), I thought it was something to do later...

So, how do I prevent... or "postvent" it?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220

Last edited by StephenQueen; 01-22-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #50
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

May I have to reinstall it, and edit install.sh??, a factory reset?

I'm reading but can't understand, what am I supposed to do with that?

https://github.com/NiLuJe/kfmon/blob...l.sh#L114-L130

Last edited by StephenQueen; 01-22-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The easiest fix is to re-install using the script from the second message in the One Click install thread. This will add the line in the Kobo eReader.conf file to limit Nickel's ability to scan folders.

Unfortunately, after you do the install, Nickel will promptly delete any files that it can no longer find so you will need to do a second install to replace any needed files that were deleted.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #52
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

To late I´ve made a factory reset.
let's try again, I will add it manually.

Last edited by StephenQueen; 01-22-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #53
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

Now it says that can't replace .kobo folder because "is invisible", I'm sure I can see it but my brand new OS might be blind (Mac OS)
Old 01-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #54
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

OOOrrrrgh!, it's done. My Mac din't allow me to copy the file, though I could see it, it was clearly "invisible" so it couldn't copy it, BUT, if I renamed it to .old, then copied the new kobo folder, copied the contents of .kobo to .kobo.old, deleted .kobo folder, and renamed .kobo.old to .kobo... then it was a little visible.

can't understand how brilliant coders can do so stupid things. And can't imagine the reason.

Last edited by StephenQueen; 01-22-2022 at 08:29 PM. Reason: ortography
Old 01-22-2022, 08:18 PM   #55
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

Well, I'm almost done, now last thing, where is the directory for the dictionaries? and what is the format?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #56
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe the times come to move from this thread / area to a more appropriate one. There actually is a KoReader forum here

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #57
StephenQueen
Enthusiast

I'm trying to test several devices and it is all about this thread, this thread isn't specific about one reader/one software, I'm trying to improve my opinion of Kobo Clara now... by the moment pocketbook touch hd wins. I think I notice some tension in this forum, I think It's time to go an do other things.

My final conclusion at this point is that pocketbook offers a much better experience than kobo does, and I own both.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenQueen View Post
I'm trying to test several devices and it is all about this thread, this thread isn't specific about one reader/one software, I'm trying to improve my opinion of Kobo Clara now... by the moment pocketbook touch hd wins. I think I notice some tension in this forum, I think It's time to go an do other things.

My final conclusion at this point is that pocketbook offers a much better experience than kobo does, and I own both.
When you go to the thread like the One-Click Install, you really do have to read all the directions. If you had, the install would have been trivial.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Now it says that can't replace .kobo folder because "is invisible", I'm sure I can see it but my brand new OS might be blind (Mac OS)
Quote:
OOOrrrrgh!, it's done. My Mac din't allow me to copy the file, though I could see it, it was clearly "invisible" so it couldn't copy it, BUT, if I renamed it to .old, then copied the new kobo folder, copied the contents of .kobo to .kobo.old, deleted .kobo folder, and renamed .kobo.old to .kobo... then it was a little visible.

can't understand how brilliant coders can do so stupid things. And can't imagine the reason.
Mac OSX inherits from it's roots. Unix/Linux/etc. consider files and directories whose name starts with a . as being invisible. There are multiple ways of making them visible. My personal preference was to enter:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles True; killall Finder
at a terminal prompt to render those files and directories visible in Finder. If I remember correctly, you can also use cmd-shft-. to toggle file hiding off/on.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
It's true that pocketbook is little slow, and may lack a fancy frontend like Kobo has with cool animations, but at the moment I feel more comfortable reading on it, my opinion may change as it is new and I own both, the other was given as a gift to my son, just for curious I'll read alternate days on each one to discover If there is life after Kobo/Kindle,

I suspect that if the screen is comparable I will end up using pocketbook, ergonomy, and out of the box ease of transferring books will be main reasons... will see
I like both, but the fonts on the HD 3 stand out more. (It may not be something you particularly like, but I like contrast.) I didn't realize how pronounced this was until I compared the HD3 and the Clara (side by side, same book, same font NOT THE SAME FONT, (see below edit), same basic lighting). The Clara definitely renders fonts differently (duller). This is the Constantia font (probably too dark for many) but the Clara seems to "lighten" it, the HD 3 seems to keep it "as is."

EDIT: Okay, ignore the images, the font is the book's default (even though it said it was Constantia). For some inexplicable reason, my Clara is no longer changing fonts -- at all -- when using ePubs. Still works with KePubs. I tried updating to 4.31.x and that didn't help. I did change the Adobe orphans and widows settings, thought maybe that was it, but I've removed those lines, restarted, updated and still no go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBvsKobo2.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	191886   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBvsKobo1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	703.3 KB
ID:	191887  

Last edited by rcentros; 01-25-2022 at 05:42 PM. Reason: To correct the information.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote