Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgoth View Post
I know, I meant like a dark theme for Calibre. Using dark colours on Win 7 disables Aero which looks awful.
No, I'm afraid not.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #47
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks Kovid.

Available in 4.6

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #48
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

I just tried the dark mode on macOS. I like it a lot. One thing about various EPUBs is that they can sometimes use various font and background colors. As links are forced to be a certain color in night mode, can the same be done for fonts, and background colors (none)? iOS Books does as such since it is the most reliable way to ensure all text displays well in dark mode.

if custom CSS could also respond to a media-query for dark mode (@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark)), that'd also help.

Last edited by democrite; 12-12-2019 at 08:47 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #49
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Windows 10: Add support for the dark mode.
If you turn on dark mode under the Windows Settings->Personalisation->Colors and restart calibre it will use dark colors. Can also be enabled by setting the CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE environment variable.

This only implemented for Windows 10? Alternative for linux ????
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Oh My
I did not know I need this that much.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post

This only implemented for Windows 10? Alternative for linux ????
Set your system colors to dark and calibre will follow automatically. Windows 10 has no way to set system colors anymore which is why this was necessary.
And if you want to use the custom dark palette, without changing system colors, set the environment variable it works on linux as well.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@democrite: I'm not a fan of overriding colors in books, the colors could be used for semantic meaning. If you wish to do that, you can do it yourself via the user stylesheet. Sadly the dark mode media query does not work in webengine, but I can easily add a class to body for it.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #53
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

I can understand how colors are meant to have semantic meaning, though in dark mode, often colors will not display well. An example, indeed text boxes (divs) can have a background to highlight some important text though they become unreadable, e.g. white text on a gray background. I think what iOS Books does is the best compromise, forcing all text to be light on dark and removing background colors. It's not ideal but without EPUBs specifically targeting dark mode, it is the most readable.

For dark mode, would you consider a different font color? White on black I think is a bit harsh. iOS indeed defaults to that for most apps in dark mode, though iOS Books uses #bebebe, gray on black, which I think is much easier on the eyes, particularly when reading in low light or in the dark.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can set whatever color you want in the viewer preferences. By default it follows the system colors. And again, you can easily override all colors via a user stylesheet.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #55
democrite
Evangelist

but such applies only to dark mode. If it were possible to override some settings only for dark, I would have done so. Sensible defaults that make EPUBs as readable as possible, given the wide variation in possible CSS markup, I think is good design.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #56
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I tried dark mode on my Windows 10 system using the environment variable instead of the system-wide setting. It works well for the built-in dialogs, but the dialogs popped up by plugins open with a white background that quickly changes dark.

Is there anything plugin developers can do to prevent this white flash?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #57
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
flawless and love it. thanks so much for this.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
but such applies only to dark mode. If it were possible to override some settings only for dark, I would have done so. Sensible defaults that make EPUBs as readable as possible, given the wide variation in possible CSS markup, I think is good design.
Like I said, I will add a class to body in dark mode so you can apply your css only for dark themes.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I tried dark mode on my Windows 10 system using the environment variable instead of the system-wide setting. It works well for the built-in dialogs, but the dialogs popped up by plugins open with a white background that quickly changes dark.

Is there anything plugin developers can do to prevent this white flash?
There should not be any difference. Plugin dialogs are just normal Qt dialogs, so they should inherit the dark palette from QApplication.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #60
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
on my calibre the highlight for each book line is blue. is it possible for me to change that to another color? thank you.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote