Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do not ask (or answer) questions about DRM removal on library books. This is not permitted at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #47
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I think you may be over-reacting a bit here Harry. I am not asking for help to remove DRM from library books, nor am I offering such help. In fact, given the current situation I support not providing such help. The question I am raising is whether this continues to make sense if we end up not being able to read borrowed books on e-ink devices. If my post does in fact breach any guidelines, perhaps you would be kind enough to point me to the relevant guideline or guidelines. I do believe that what I have raised is a legitimate topic for discussion.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome to discuss the topic in theory, darryl. What crossed the line was your question about whether DRM for a specific library app has been cracked. That is not permitted.

I really don't see how it changes anything. I can't read library books on my Kindle (and neither can you). If I wanted to read library books on an eInk device I would buy an eInk device on which one could read them, and that will continue to be the case. One does not have an automatic right to read books on a specific device.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 AM   #49
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Fair enough Harry. Personally I don't think the question in this context crossed the line. But, on reflection, perhaps it did come a bit close. And you're the moderator.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
There seems to be a general consensus that removal of DRM from library ebooks should be discouraged, and even the DRM removal tools do not support it. ...
And by support, you mean questions (technical support) cannot be asked/answered (whether the tools actually do is a different matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are welcome to discuss the topic in theory, darryl. What crossed the line was your question about whether DRM for a specific library app has been cracked. That is not permitted.

I assume my response is OK, since it is not specific to an app or library, but to DRM removal tools in general?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I assume my response is OK, since it is not specific to an app or library, but to DRM removal tools in general?
Yes, that's fine. Generalities are fine, but not specifics.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
There seems to be a general consensus that removal of DRM from library ebooks should be discouraged, and even the DRM removal tools do not support it. This is a very reasonable position given that people are able to read their library books on e-ink readers, though less so outside of the United States where Kindles are excluded. However, this position may have to change. If libraries are going to limit reading to their own apps and therefore essentially to Android and IOS, excluding e-ink readers, then DRM removal tools for these formats become very desirable.
Quote:
I think you may be over-reacting a bit here Harry. I am not asking for help to remove DRM from library books, nor am I offering such help. In fact, given the current situation I support not providing such help. The question I am raising is whether this continues to make sense if we end up not being able to read borrowed books on e-ink devices. If my post does in fact breach any guidelines, perhaps you would be kind enough to point me to the relevant guideline or guidelines. I do believe that what I have raised is a legitimate topic for discussion.
I've always thought the "no support for library DeDRM" policy was because DeDRM is meant to give you control over your own property.

Just because libraries make it impossible to read a library book without a special app, does not justify helping and encouraging people to DeDRM it and keep it forever.
As HarryT said, you already require specific ereaders (that support Adobe ADEPT).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As HarryT said, you already require specific ereaders (that support Adobe ADEPT).
And should one wish to read with an Android app on an eInk device, there are a number of generic Android eInk devices on the market that will permit this.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #54
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
And should one wish to read with an Android app on an eInk device, there are a number of generic Android eInk devices on the market that will permit this.
The Overdrive app doesn't work unless you root it, install Xposed firmware, and install the App Settings module to change the dpi of the app. Is there any other app to read library books? Overdrive is aware of the problem but doesn't know how to fix it.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I was talking about the Axis 360 app that led to this discussion. No need for the Overdrive app if you have an ADE device.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #56
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I was talking about the Axis 360 app that led to this discussion. No need for the Overdrive app if you have an ADE device.
Oh yeah, duh. The OverDrive is needed for the Boyue and its clones, I think. But I don't use the built-in reading apps, so maybe it's not necessary.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #57
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The Overdrive app doesn't work unless you root it, install Xposed firmware, and install the App Settings module to change the dpi of the app. Is there any other app to read library books? Overdrive is aware of the problem but doesn't know how to fix it.
I use Aldiko to get/read/return the library book. Believe that I only used Overdrive once on the Nook HD+ before I got Aldiko & did the DRM register within an option. Will be trying Mantano as I thought that it got updated to be able to do return also. I think I'll just try it on a book to see if it will actually do the return now as an option.

I used to just checkout the library book on the pc & download it; used an android file manager to get it from the pc & have Aldiko "import" it. Aldiko is nice in that respect where it did add the book to its library & when hitting the return option in the book detail, the book is returned & removed from its library & catalog.

Perhaps, I need to also try the Aldiko on the Fire HD to see if the same thing can be done there.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why is that not permitted? It's been mentioned about removing DRM from Kindle for Android, Kindle for OS X, Kindle for PC, and ADE. So how is this any different?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Oh yeah, duh. The OverDrive is needed for the Boyue and its clones, I think. But I don't use the built-in reading apps, so maybe it's not necessary.
Actually, you could install the Android version of Bluefire Reader and use that to read ePub from Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is that not permitted? It's been mentioned about removing DRM from Kindle for Android, Kindle for OS X, Kindle for PC, and ADE. So how is this any different?
The operative word in HarryT's statement being "library".

Are you disagreeing with the Forum Administrator's statement about MobileRead policy re: library DeDRM?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote