Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Well yeah, cause you have gift cards. If you had amazon gift cards then they would beat out walmart.
But Amazon doesn't sell the Kindle Fire for $199 w/ a free $50 gift card. Nor do the sell the Kindle NT for $79 w/ a free $30 gift card. But Walmart sure does. Therefore, I buy from them.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #47
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But Amazon doesn't sell the Kindle Fire for $199 w/ a free $50 gift card. Nor do the sell the Kindle NT for $79 w/ a free $30 gift card. But Walmart sure does. Therefore, I buy from them.
Nice!
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #48
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
The most recent Target Kindle deal I remember was "buy a Kindle/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire, get an M-Edge accessory at 30% off". That was maybe a week or two ago.

Getting back to the original topic, I would guess that if mini-Apple stores proliferate within Targets, then perhaps the terms of the deal might require Target to stop carrying iPad competitors.

Another possible reason to drop Kindle and other readers is that maybe they don't sell well enough throughout the year to justify the shelf space.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #49
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not the way it works with amazon.co.uk gift certificates. They send me an electronic gift certificate by e-mail; I redeem the certificate on Amazon, and I buy books with it.
+1 for that and I get it from the US store.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Based on Apple's track record with Agency pricing, this assumption becomes an educated guess.
Nope, turns out it was nothing to do with Apple at all.
Guess they aren't the root of all evil, just most?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #51
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
in total, this affects no one but customer. amazon no, target no, apple no
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The move is related to Apple's presence on Target. Kindle's presence on same store may bother them somehow. If that was not the case, they would not bother on pushing such move. Unless is coming directly from Target stores, which is a retailer anyway.

Another reason, which makes more sense to me, is the "try at the store, buy later online" phenomenon, which we all know is now impacting Best Buy as well. Lot of people go to Target, try at the store, and later buy online for a bit less. That gives no money to the retail store which on this case, is Target.
I'm confused. Apple products have been in Target forever. I haven't read any article that said that any other company was related to this decision other than Target and Amazon. Where is this coming from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I read another article pointing to Apple, yes ... of course, none of those companies want or will provide names or true reasons.
Link, please?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #53
JonathanH
Enthusiast
JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kindle Touch
The New York Times quotes a Target exec from January:

“What we aren’t willing to do is let online-only retailers use our brick-and-mortar stores as a showroom for their products and undercut our prices,” Target executives wrote in a letter to vendors, asking them to think of new pricing and inventory strategies, according to a note that Deborah Weinswig, a Citi analyst, sent to clients.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/bu...g-kindles.html
JonathanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #54
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanH View Post

“What we aren’t willing to do is let online-only retailers use our brick-and-mortar stores as a showroom for their products and undercut our prices,” Target executives wrote in a letter to vendors, asking them to think of new pricing and inventory strategies, according to a note that Deborah Weinswig, a Citi analyst, sent to clients.

I think I saw this mentioned in a different thread...

I can imagine a lot of stores hate that Amazon does this. In my local Lowes & Home Depot they match all prices except Amazon and some of the more diligent staff will stop you from price checking. (Some, but not a great deal, lol).
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #55
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Link, please?
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Targe...coming_id29719

I did a quick search, and that was the first one I stumbled into. Doesn't say definitively, but I guess what they speculate makes some sense, what with there being mini-Apple stores in Target.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
“What we aren’t willing to do is let online-only retailers use our brick-and-mortar stores as a showroom for their products and undercut our prices,”
Which seems like an extremely valid point to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #57
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
In my local Lowes & Home Depot they match all prices except Amazon and some of the more diligent staff will stop you from price checking. (Some, but not a great deal, lol).
How can they do this?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #58
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
Quote:

This is interesting. I've done price checking in best buy. But at target I don't see where there would be enough of a price difference that I couldn't just spend the extra couple of dollars & buy it on the spot. I mean I drove all the way out there right....

I wonder how big of an issue it really is.
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #59
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismonkey View Post
This is interesting. I've done price checking in best buy. But at target I don't see where there would be enough of a price difference that I couldn't just spend the extra couple of dollars & buy it on the spot. I mean I drove all the way out there right....

I wonder how big of an issue it really is.
It's very common these days for people to have the attitude of "I want to see it in person but I have no intention of buying it locally. Instead I will search for hours online until I find a seller that has it for $10 less".

Then, typically, these same people lament when their local B&M stores close, or they claim the B&M stores were always trying to rip them off despite the obviously higher cost of doing business in a B&M store. You see it in these forums all the time. It's a huge issue that retailers like Best Buy are desperately trying to overcome right now.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #60
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
The trouble is, you can usually find *similar* models on line, but never the exact model you saw in the store. I found this to be true with Consumer Reports reviews - they'll rate something very highly, but I can never find that exact model in the store.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote