Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #46
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There is a whole set of tools you can run from the command line that can be used on your files without the files being entered into the calibre library.
Thanks a lot. Will give it a try.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I do not like to use Calibre to sync with my reader.
The solution is very easy.
I select the books in Calibre that I want to put on the device, right-click, select Save To Disk and I export the books to a temporary directory. I have played with the options, so the folder structure and filenames are EXACTLY to my taste, with things like optional series folder and other nifty things. Then I quit Calibre (so it doesn't recognise my device and start comparing files), connect my device and copy the files and folders that Calibre conveniently created for me to the device.
That is it.
I do something like that, but I do make use of the calibre comparing thingie.

I switched off the device Interface plugin (so, Calibre won't recognize my device). And instead of using save to disk, I select "connect to folder". I have played with the option and custom columns and all the other fun things, and made sure the folder structure and file name is exactly like I want it to be. And then I transfer my books.

For you, you don't need to exit Calibre. Simply turn off the device plugin. It'll give the same effect: Calibre won't connect to your device.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I am not sure I understand this: so now you have two copies of the same book, and the one in the calibre library (if modified with new tags, etc) will be totally out of sync with the original one you kept in your other n-folder deep hierarchy; are you copying back the calibre version over to the original (overwriting) ?

I honestly mainly use Calibre for conversions or editing tags (or sometimes even adding a new custom cover image, etc) to make the book consistent of all my other books, and I am guessing I am not even using 1/10th of what Calibre is offering. Although obviously not the primary usage the app's creator had in mind, but I do wish there is a Calibre Lite just for conversion/editing purpose directly on the ebook file that won't try to mess with the library structure (importing, etc), as it does seem quite some users are using Calibre this way. However, I understand this is not the intended usage and certainly not a priority or even to the interest of most users and of its creators/developers, so for now, I am good with an extra step to manually copy (export) it over when the conversion/edits is done in Calibre. As much as I love Calibre, I do see in some of the recent threads a tendency among Calibre fans to discourage legit complaints from less experienced or more casual users. I don't know the whole story, but I miss the old days when even the most stupid questions of mine were received in a much more positive and encouraging way. I hope that kind of amiable atmosphere of the forum can be retained as the app becomes more and more matured and sophisticated.
I started with Calibre (had the same problems as Eowyn with Calibre then), just to convert books. Command line only, actually. As I only used one reader at the time, it was easy to sync my folders with it. But then I got a new reader and now had two. Still, shouldn't be much of a problem, except the fact that they each needed a different format. Then things got a bit more out of hand. Copying format A to this reader and format B to that reader. Which meant I not only had my "source" folder (with the original HTML source) and a single format folder (containing my original Mobi format), I now also had a second format format folder (containing epubs). I then decided, I didn't like the epub reader, and started transforming my source HTML into PDF (formatted for a 5" device). So, now I had 3 format folders. And this became increasingly awkward to manage. Especially, as I now had 4 devices to keep in sync.

Luckily, by this time, the custom column had made its first appearance. That was the final thing I needed to make Calibre working for me. My Mini doesn't understand tags or categories, but has a folder structure. So, I wanted a folder structure there. With the custom columns, I could format the folder structure exactly like I wanted (which is rather extensive! I need about 4 or 5 custom columns to even simply make the folder structure!) From that point onwards, I started to make use of Calibre as library and syncing software.

Conversions I still do using the command line though... And updated to books I still do in my source files which are NOT in Calibre. I'll create my three formats (mobi, epub and pdf) and overwrite (or add) them in Calibre.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I switched off the device Interface plugin (so, Calibre won't recognize my device). And instead of using save to disk, I select "connect to folder".
I will play with that. I never really bothered so far, because I connect my device relatively seldom.

There are a few features I do not like [but got used to, or learned to sidestep], but I love the configurability, versatility and raw power of Calibre. Kovid definitely isn't afraid to put powerful and dangerous tools, such as Regular Expressions, into our hands, unlike other projects that want to dumb down the interface, and limit configuration options as much as possible so they do not scare non-power-users away.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will play with that. I never really bothered so far, because I connect my device relatively seldom.

There are a few features I do not like [but got used to, or learned to sidestep], but I love the configurability, versatility and raw power of Calibre. Kovid definitely isn't afraid to put powerful and dangerous tools, such as Regular Expressions, into our hands, unlike other projects that want to dumb down the interface, and limit configuration options as much as possible so they do not scare non-power-users away.
Yes, that's the strength of it. Even my mother can use it without problems, though if I were to explain what I do with it, she'd be scared away
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #51
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Quite true. Though it lack one of these "power user" function.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #52
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I started with Calibre (had the same problems as Eowyn with Calibre then), just to convert books.
I also started with Calibre, and had the same problems that most users had. I was used to sorting things by folder, and just needed a converter. It took a while, but I eventually came to realize that using the file system to sort and find books, just didn't work well, so I switched to using Calibre as a library. I think that story is more the rule than the exception.

I also think most of those who've converted, are glad they did, and yet most convertees recognize that some people (like EC) have different needs and/or don't want to convert. That's fine, but changing Calibre to support those special needs isn't likely to happen. It's too big and fundamental of a design change.

Anyone who wants just conversion can do it all with Calibre command line tools.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #53
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
... and had the same problems that most users had. I was used to sorting things by folder, and just needed a converter. It took a while, but I eventually came to realize that using the file system to sort and find books, just didn't work well, so I switched to using Calibre as a library. I think that story is more the rule than the exception.
If I remember correctly, Eowyn has different problem. She has several versions of, let's say, Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. All the files are epub. One is in French, another in English, and there is also illustrated one, and each of those has original version and version adjusted for particular reader. It is impossible to manage that in Calibre, unless you name each one differently. Calibre will insist on keeping one ("randomly" selected) epub and throwing out all the rest.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #54
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you want to find ebook software that looks better than calibre on OS X, that I suspect will be really easy. Finding something that has 1/10th the feature set of calibre will be impossible.
This is true... I looked for a bit and everything else out there is inadequate...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Eowyn has different problem. She has several versions of, let's say, Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. All the files are epub. One is in French, another in English, and there is also illustrated one, and each of those has original version and version adjusted for particular reader. It is impossible to manage that in Calibre, unless you name each one differently. Calibre will insist on keeping one ("randomly" selected) epub and throwing out all the rest.
I have that too. And you can add multipe books with the same title to the Calibre library. Just not different books with the same format in the same library entry.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #56
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
She has several versions of, let's say, Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. All the files are epub. One is in French, another in English, and there is also illustrated one, and each of those has original version and version adjusted for particular reader. It is impossible to manage that in Calibre, unless you name each one differently. Calibre will insist on keeping one ("randomly" selected) epub and throwing out all the rest.
I don't have any trouble managing this situation in Calibre. I have many books that have the same author, same title and same EPUB format. I just keep a second or third book entry and tag the entries differently, or put in a different comment. I have some formats that are particularly suitable for my tablet, and they are tagged for the tablet. I can include or exclude those books from the list quite easily.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #57
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you want to find ebook software that looks better than calibre on OS X, that I suspect will be really easy. Finding something that has 1/10th the feature set of calibre will be impossible.
Amen, bro'.
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #58
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
As others have pointed out this isn't a limitation of calibre just a limitation imagination / experience.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #59
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
As others have pointed out this isn't a limitation of calibre just a limitation imagination / experience.
Hmmm thats interesting. I can understand needing to have dif version for dif ereaders, but I find that an epub generally if its created correctly works on all preety much the same. That said I really only use my kobo touch these days and less and less my iphone. Though there is no reason people not to have a wish list of freatures and wants for calibre etc. I am sure that the Calibre dudes would pay attention and possibly even implement some if people presented such requests with politness and rational reasoning for having those features. But then again you cant please everyone and everyone cant be pleased.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #60
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Hmmm thats interesting. I can understand needing to have dif version for dif ereaders, but I find that an epub generally if its created correctly works on all preety much the same.
Except for graphic intensive ePubs where the graphics might be best viewed on a tablet or PC I agree 100%. Since my books are mostly novels and rarely graphic intensive I just do one version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Though there is no reason people not to have a wish list of freatures and wants for calibre etc. I am sure that the Calibre dudes would pay attention and possibly even implement some if people presented such requests with politness and rational reasoning for having those features.
I agree, many of the features added to calibre first saw the light of day in this forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote