Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton
Getting my computer capable of downloading and reading ebooks from the library was harder than getting calibre to strip the DRM from those books so I could read them on my Kindle
Calibre doesn't strip DRM. Third-party unofficial plugins do. Don't confuse the two. Calibre itself is perfectly legal software that has nothing to do with DRM removal.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #47
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it has already been established that it is NOT illegal, let alone unethical to do this for personal use.

PLEASE!!! quit disseminating false information!
Illegal? Not been decided by a court of law, so it certainly has not been 'established'.

Unethical to strip the DRM from *library* books? Let your conscience be your guide, I guess.

There's still no need to shout, even if I am being heretical.

Disclaimer: Although I own a Sony, I bought a Kindle recently for a friend because that best suited *her* needs. A Sony best suits mine. Whatever floats your boat.
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #48
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

A Sony best suits mine. Whatever floats your boat.
What floats a boat besides water?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Most tablets can handle it via an app.
What apps are there for DRMed Mobipocket? This is not the same as Amazon's DRM. So the Kindle app doesn't count.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #50
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Getting my computer capable of downloading and reading ebooks from the library was harder than getting calibre to strip the DRM from those books so I could read them on my Kindle
Your library must be different. I already had Overdrive because I get library eAudiobooks on my iPod. For the ePubs, I just had to get Adobe Digital Editions and it was very easy for me. I have no intention of stripping DRM on a library or any other book but I think it takes a "script" or something and I'm not even clear on what that is. It is just not worth the bother for me but I will never patronize B&N again, either in-store or online, because of their DRM at least Amazon is more up-front about being proprietary, at least it seems that way to me. Also, I would never abuse my library by stripping their eBooks even if I knew how.
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #51
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Mercury, possibly bromine and pretty much any other liquid... although most acids would probably be a bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
What floats a boat besides water?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #52
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
AFAIK neither Overdrive or Adobe Digital Editions works on a Kindle.

So which library services, pray tell, work natively on a Kindle? 'cause I'm not aware of any, nor do the libraries in the NYC area appear to use any such services.

P.S. I really cannot believe that you have the legal right to strip DRM from a library book, if that's what you are implying.
mis-quoting is your buddy isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No library is going to show how to strip DRM and convert just so the Kindle can be used with library eBooks. And for people who do not strip DRM and convert, library eBooks won't work with a Kindle.

Out of the box, the answer is NO!
WRONG! nothing. not a cotton picking thing needs to be done to or tweaked on your kindle to read a library book

Quote:
I understand stripping DRM of eBooks you paid for. But what was the lawyer's say on stripping the DRM of library eBooks?
for personal use it is not illegal. not sure how many different ways I can say this to have it mean the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I was always advised that legal opinions were generally worth what you paid for them unless they were a quote from actual court decisions...
then hire your own damn lawyer
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #53
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But you have to understand Amazon wants to SELL YOU BOOKS.
and i DO WANT TO BUY BOOKS FROM THEM

but there's nothing wrong with acting like a friendly neighborhood err...thingy :P
Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
WRONG! nothing. not a cotton picking thing needs to be done to or tweaked on your kindle to read a library book
Out of the box, you don't get instructions how to strip DRM. Out of the box you don't get the software to strip DRM. So while nothing has to be done to the Kindle, out of the box you do not get anything to help strip DRM.

Quote:
for personal use it is not illegal. not sure how many different ways I can say this to have it mean the same thing
Stripping the DRM from a library eBook is different then one you bought. With a library eBook, you are supposed to return it by a certain time limit. With the DRM gone, that doesn't happen. What happens when you keep a pBook from the library past the due date and you try to renew it and it is reserved? You keep it late and pay a fine. The eBook is supposed to stop working.[/quote]
Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
What apps are there for DRMed Mobipocket? This is not the same as Amazon's DRM. So the Kindle app doesn't count.
Mobipocket has versions for Blackberry and Windows, which I figure will work on tablets running those platforms, and according to this link, iReader will work on Android.

And I could have sworn that library DRM mobi books will work on without deDRMing if some bits are tweaked, but now I couldn't get it to work and I wonder if I dreamed it.

ApK
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #56
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Stripping the DRM from a library eBook is different then one you bought. With a library eBook, you are supposed to return it by a certain time limit. With the DRM gone, that doesn't happen. What happens when you keep a pBook from the library past the due date and you try to renew it and it is reserved? You keep it late and pay a fine. The eBook is supposed to stop working.
Libraries lend plenty of e-material that doesn't automatically time out. The terms simply say you must delete all copies. You're on your honor.
Same with stripped books.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #57
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Mobipocket has versions for Blackberry and Windows, which I figure will work on tablets running those platforms, and according to this link, iReader will work on Android.

And I could have sworn that library DRM mobi books will work on without deDRMing if some bits are tweaked, but now I couldn't get it to work and I wonder if I dreamed it.

ApK
No your not mistaken, Amazon's DRM has changed a little, but enough to break the old scripts. There are special cases in which it will still work.

The only way the old scripts work, I believe is if you have a K1/K2(prior to the 2.3 firmware) and have not installed "Kindle for ..."(Android/PC/Mac/...)

=X=
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #58
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Kindlekitten, merely asserting something over and over does not make it true.

Neither does saying it in all caps, nor swearing.

Stripping DRM is questionably legal - no matter who says what on a forum.

Stripping DRM from a library book is more than questionable.

Very few libraries carry Mobipocket ebooks anymore, because Amazon has restricted the use of Mobipocket for its own ends. That's their privilege.

The fact remains that the Kindle is not library-friendly, no matter how many times you assert otherwise.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #59
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
a licensed practicing attorney has given us this information in the Kindle forums regarding the legality and ethics of stripping DRM for personal use.
That would be an opinion, not a fact. AFAIK DRM removal for personal use has never been tested in court.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The fact remains that the Kindle is not library-friendly, no matter how many times you assert otherwise.
As a Kindle owner; I cannot, in good conscience, recommend a Kindle for the virgin eReader buyer who places a high priority on the ability to effortlessly borrow ebooks from the library.
Closed Thread