Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #46
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is my current read. I enjoyed the first one, and am liking this second one so far. I tried the first 2-3 of his "bones" series, but couldn't warm to the protagonist. This one feels less Neanderthal, and I'm loving the info on art history and restoration.

What a nervous font choice. I assume it was deliberate.

That one seems interesting. I’ll have to look out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:33 PM   #47
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
What a nervous font choice. I assume it was deliberate.

The same font is on the cover image of the 3 books in the series I have, so it must be intentional. Not sure exactly what was intended though
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 12:51 AM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm reading David Brin's quirky sci-fi novel Kiln People, about a world where you can make clay duplicates of yourself that last a day, then upload their memories to yourself. So you can be two or more places at once. I've read it before and remember enjoying it, but don't remember the story specifics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220603_044107381.MP.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	664.4 KB
ID:	194101  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm reading David Brin's quirky sci-fi novel Kiln People, about a world where you can make clay duplicates of yourself that last a day, then upload their memories to yourself. So you can be two or more places at once. I've read it before and remember enjoying it, but don't remember the story specifics.
If you haven't already read it another quirky book by Brin is The Practice Effect.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #50
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Better than the BORING writing of Austen and Bronze

If you're tired of reading the BORING writings of Darlene Austen or Emil Bronze, then give one of the neglected GREATS of literature - Edward D. Wood, jr. - a try. I'm sure you'll walk away enchanted by his worldview.

Yes, perhaps one of the geniuses of modern literature, an author appreciated only by the discerning few, Edward D. Wood, jr. revels in characterizations and situations that literally cause one to gasp in wonder. (I know I did, although my wife thought I was choking and proceeded to administer First Aid.)

So, if you're tired of reading about the same old BORING novels of sensibility from Darlene, or the endless nonsensical verbiage of Emil [see 'Blathering Heights'] - I feel as though I'm on a first name basis with these two windbags - then you simply must give Edward D. Wood, jr. a try.

The other title - Roscoes in the Night, by Robert Leslie Bellem - is not available as an ebook. The copy you see here is a trade paper edition from my private collection, a book I have categorized in the 'Naughty Collection' genre. (See another thread, one located in this Forum, for an in-depth discussion of Genre.) This assemblage of short stories examines the social contructivism of language theorist Lev Vygotsky, in which he presents a cogent case for language acquisition. See here:"Her gams could halt an out-of-control city bus". Or try this one: "Her gat spat liquid death". YUP!

Robert Leslie Bellem's writing can be favorably compared to the exciting work of Jacques Derrida for sheer readability. This work, too, is only for the discerning few. Please approach with caution.

So, that's what I'm currently reading.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ED Wood.jpg
Views:	4969
Size:	988.0 KB
ID:	194113  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-03-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm currently reading Cop Hater by Ed McBain. It's the first book in the 87th Precinct series.

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	4967
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	194114
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:28 AM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you haven't already read it another quirky book by Brin is The Practice Effect.
Apache
Thanks for the rec! I have that one on my Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220604_025722017.MP.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	746.6 KB
ID:	194120  
Old 06-04-2022, 02:12 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, perhaps one of the geniuses of modern literature, an author appreciated only by the discerning few, Edward D. Wood, jr. revels in characterizations and situations that literally cause one to gasp in wonder. (I know I did, although my wife thought I was choking and proceeded to administer First Aid.)
Dr! I happen to have a couple of Wood's 'novels' on my Kobo. I think I have another one or two I haven't added yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220604_025631666.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	194121  
Old 06-04-2022, 02:14 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm currently reading Cop Hater by Ed McBain. It's the first book in the 87th Precinct series.
Hey, I hope it's good. I've picked up the first dozen or so as they go on sale for $0.99.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:27 AM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dr! I happen to have a couple of Wood's 'novels' on my Kobo. I think I have another one or two I haven't added yet.
I actually have five, but only one of them is on my Kobo. (One of the five is somewhat messy, due to its having been converted from a PDF file.)

I also have Killer in Drag.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #56
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Attachment 194114

I bought between 30 or 40 (I can't remember the exact number) back when some place had them on sale for $0.99 each.

I've only read 2 or 3 of them.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:56 AM   #57
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sweet! That’s one I’ve wanted to read. I’ll add it to my list so that I don’t forget about it again.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:01 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I bought between 30 or 40 (I can't remember the exact number) back when some place had them on sale for $0.99 each.

I've only read 2 or 3 of them.
So far I am liking Cop Hater. After I finish it, I'll go back and finish the Star Trek book I was reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:04 AM   #59
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
If you're tired of reading the BORING writings of Darlene Austen or Emil Bronze, then give one of the neglected GREATS of literature - Edward D. Wood, jr. - a try. I'm sure you'll walk away enchanted by his worldview.
I didn’t realize Ed Wood wrote novels. Love that cover.

I realize that pulp fiction became renown for its literary excesses, but I admire how they had fun with the English language. The cyberpunk movement tried to do similar things with language, but came across as too pretentious. It had a brief impact on popular culture, but not as long lasting as pulp fiction. I don’t believe any literary movement captures the glee writers put into metaphors and similes as the pulp fiction authors did.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I didn’t realize Ed Wood wrote novels. Love that cover.

I realize that pulp fiction became renown for its literary excesses, but I admire how they had fun with the English language. The cyberpunk movement tried to do similar things with language, but came across as too pretentious. It had a brief impact on popular culture, but not as long lasting as pulp fiction. I don’t believe any literary movement captures the glee writers put into metaphors and similes as the pulp fiction authors did.

There are a number of his original sleaze paperbacks out there (for a high price). If you like that recent cover, then you should see the original covers on some of his books!