Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #496
oldman20
oldman20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Installing custom packages.

You can now forget about the "Update Your Kindle" (UYK) menu, (almost) *everything* will have to go through the MobileRead Package Installer (MRPI).

You might be wondering why this is listed first, while it appears to depend on another tool: KUAL. That's a bit of a catch-22 that we'll take care of shortly; for now, install MRPI as if you actually had KUAL installed .

TL;DR: This is as simple as extracting the package at the top-level of the visible USB storage.
Sorry I don't understand much about:
Current I running OA2 15.4.2, installed KUAL_coplate-ff4134d-20221017 will already include MRPI ínside?

Quote:
We generally recommend using the "Helper" KUAL extension, which provides a "PREVENT OTA Updates" button which, besides doing what it says on the tin, should prevent some battery drain caused by a tad aggressive "call home" behavior in some FW versions.
Fair warning, though: this will *no longer* protect you from automatic updates on FW >= 5.12.x! On those FW versions, slightly more aggressive methods are in various phases of development, check the forums (e.g., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327879).

If you're in a position to choose which FW version to update to, *avoid* anything >= 5.12.x, as it has become even more aggressive, preventing you both from (easily) blocking OTA updates, and greatly (potentially fatally) hampering the JailBreak's ability to survive, as well as your recovery options!
And above mean im on 15.4.2 will no need renameotabin and kual-helper-0.5.N-r18980 cause they are not help much?

Last edited by oldman20; 01-22-2023 at 09:52 AM.
oldman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:22 AM   #497
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Nope. The option for OTA blocking as defined by Helper KUAl extension doesn't stop OTA updates on any firmware build since 5.12.x. Helper extensions should have been updated years ago to either add clear notice of that fact or removed completely or ideally if it is technically possible to achieve (without requiring existence of Python hack) be made to dynamically show or hide that option depending on firmware version.

Short answer: just install and use removeotabin extensions.

p.s This forum is full of outdated information such as those you just quoted.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2023, 02:07 PM   #498
oldman20
oldman20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Nope. The option for OTA blocking as defined by Helper KUAl extension doesn't stop OTA updates on any firmware build since 5.12.x. Helper extensions should have been updated years ago to either add clear notice of that fact or removed completely or ideally if it is technically possible to achieve (without requiring existence of Python hack) be made to dynamically show or hide that option depending on firmware version.

Short answer: just install and use removeotabin extensions.

p.s This forum is full of outdated information such as those you just quoted.
thank so much, so with removeotabin may work?
oldman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #499
avggeek
avggeek began at the beginning.

Device: 2022 iPad Air, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The downgrader you're likely referring to is not intended for modern devices (and will effectively not work there anyway). IIRC, there's a specific thread detailing downgrades on modern devices, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

EDIT: Okay, I was remembering older stuff. This should be fairly streamlined. Caveat emptor, YMMV, etc.
(Do read through the original, manual thread, though).
Hi NiLuJe,

I did the following steps:

- Reinstalled JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix
- Replaced my existing KUAL (which was giving "Application Error") with the latest available KUAL from snapshots thread. Verified that KUAL now installed correctly.
- Installed the Downgrader KUAL extension and then copied the 5.11.2 firmware onto the Kindle. Unfortunately I got an error "This Update is not valid" and the KUAL extension did not seem to work.

When I checked the Kindlebreak post, it mentions that 5.12.2.2 is not supported by that version. However, given that KUAL is working I assuming that my JB is still valid?

Do I need to replace the JB now since I'm on 5.12.2.2 in order to be able to downgrade firmware?
avggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:07 PM   #500
Rewhite
Rewhite began at the beginning.

Device: KOA3
KOA3 updated spontaneously

My KOA 3 updated himself in plane mode to 5.15.1, I guess I never should trust to amazon device, but well, but good news jailbreak still intact I reinstall kual thought MKK, I need advice, what should I do except disconnecting my device permanently from wi-fi to ensure that my root will stay intact in future? Is there any patches or should I try to find the way to downgrade firmware? Is it a big deal anyway or maybe I just worried over nothing?

PS I tried to delete wifi passwords from settings, this option didn't work, just banned device through router politic

Last edited by Rewhite; 01-31-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Rewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #501
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewhite View Post
My KOA 3 updated himself in plane mode to 5.15.1, I guess I never should trust to amazon device, but well, but good news jailbreak still intact I reinstall kual thought MKK, I need advice, what should I do except disconnecting my device permanently from wi-fi to ensure that my root will stay intact in future? Is there any patches or should I try to find the way to downgrade firmware? Is it a big deal anyway or maybe I just worried over nothing?

PS I tried to delete wifi passwords from settings, this option didn't work, just banned device through router politic
Downgrading the firmware is probably a good idea, then install the rename OTA binaries KUAL extension.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:50 AM   #502
avggeek
avggeek began at the beginning.

Device: 2022 iPad Air, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avggeek View Post
Hi NiLuJe,

I did the following steps:

- Reinstalled JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix
- Replaced my existing KUAL (which was giving "Application Error") with the latest available KUAL from snapshots thread. Verified that KUAL now installed correctly.
- Installed the Downgrader KUAL extension and then copied the 5.11.2 firmware onto the Kindle. Unfortunately I got an error "This Update is not valid" and the KUAL extension did not seem to work.

When I checked the Kindlebreak post, it mentions that 5.12.2.2 is not supported by that version. However, given that KUAL is working I assuming that my JB is still valid?

Do I need to replace the JB now since I'm on 5.12.2.2 in order to be able to downgrade firmware?
I was away for a few days and when I got back, I realized that I had made an error. I had not disabled the "Block OTA Update" option in KUAL before trying to downgrade. That was the cause of the error.

Once I disabled that option, the downgrader plugin worked perfectly and I was able to downgrade to 5.11.2, allowing me to convert KFX files via the KFX Input plugin.
avggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:56 PM   #503
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Added a big fat warning in the relevant section of the first post to mention the fact that FW 5.15.1.1 essentially breaks the JB ;o).

MRPI may limp along for a while on updated systems, assuming you have a functioning bridge in the first place (which you should on modern devices), but you won't actually be able to recover your JB if anything happens to it.

TL;DR: Don't.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:33 PM   #504
Kyo2
Kyo2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th generation
Hello community
Can u please confirme if I have good understand:
I have a kindle paper with 11th génération
Si I need to

1- downgrade the firmware (plane mode and update with the last firmware hackable)
2- After that I can follow the root proceess and install after Kual and Koreader
That it ?
Thx
Kyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #505
Kindlebaby
Kindlebaby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th generation
Hello i received my Kindle
its 5.14.3.1
Is it dead for jailbreak ?
Kindlebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:58 AM   #506
Himbeer
eBook unreader
Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle Basic (8th Gen, 2016, KT3)
Quote:
Added a big fat warning in the relevant section of the first post to mention the fact that FW 5.15.1.1 essentially breaks the JB ;o).

MRPI may limp along for a while on updated systems, assuming you have a functioning bridge in the first place (which you should on modern devices), but you won't actually be able to recover your JB if anything happens to it.

TL;DR: Don't.
If the Kindle says "*** JAILBREAK ***" when rebooting, that means the bridge/hotfix is present, right?

Is there a way to get KUAL working again from that state or am I screwed?
Himbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:35 PM   #507
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The bridge is present, that's not the issue. The issue is that what the bridge does doesn't do shit anymore .

KUAL *should* work, though (after the usual double reboot). Or not, can't remember. ;log mrpi might, though (or not, again, can't remember how this stuff works :s).
Old 03-15-2023, 04:56 PM   #508
Himbeer
eBook unreader
Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle Basic (8th Gen, 2016, KT3)
Quote:
The bridge is present, that's not the issue. The issue is that what the bridge does doesn't do shit anymore .

KUAL *should* work, though (after the usual double reboot). Or not, can't remember. ;log mrpi might, though (or not, again, can't remember how this stuff works :s).
Thank you so much, that worked!

I was under the impression that the ;log command didn't exist on newer releases (does the Jailbreak add it back in?), but ;log mrpi was able to launch MRPI. So I put the KUAL installer bin and the Hotfix installer bin in the mrpackages folder, entered ";log mrpi" in the search bar and now I can launch KUAL again.
Himbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #509
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimbeersaftLP View Post
I was under the impression that the ;log command didn't exist on newer releases (does the Jailbreak add it back in?)
Yeah, it's gone from stock FW since 5.12.2; the bridge restores it.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:35 PM   #510
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlebaby View Post
Hello i received my Kindle
its 5.14.3.1
Is it dead for jailbreak ?
Did you receive any answer? I got mine today and I'll be receiving it tomorrow... Shall I prepare for jailbreaking or all hope is lost?

Thanks
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote