Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #31
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
If it is implemented, it would certainly up the device's value. Still stuck with the app store (unless this is changed too), but it would be a huge improvement. Those are both "ifs" of course.
I like the app store.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #32
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
App store is all fine and well, just an opportunity to also install stuff not in it would be nice. (Apple just nixed another round of apps, this time a few WiFi detecting ones. Not sure what their reasoning was, the article didn't mention.)

I just think they should up the specs a bit and throw a proper OS on there. Include the app store, but also let people use other software. For example, some fiction writers might want to be able to throw Scrivener on the iPad, which isn't in the app store to the best of my knowledge. A proper OS also solves the multitasking problem in and of itself.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #33
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
App store is all fine and well, just an opportunity to also install stuff not in it would be nice. (Apple just nixed another round of apps, this time a few WiFi detecting ones. Not sure what their reasoning was, the article didn't mention.)

I just think they should up the specs a bit and throw a proper OS on there. Include the app store, but also let people use other software. For example, some fiction writers might want to be able to throw Scrivener on the iPad, which isn't in the app store to the best of my knowledge. A proper OS also solves the multitasking problem in and of itself.
You sound like the perfect candidate NOT to buy Apple products. Every indication is that Steve Jobs will only tighten the screws on what they allow on the iphone/ipod/ipad further. See the recent row over removing "adult" apps, the flash issue, and ongoing attempts to prevent jailbreaking. Probably they want to make more money from selling content in the future.

Apple's products look great and have many nice features. But those features that are missing are missing by design, because Apple chooses to leave them out. And don't expect that to change, the current trend is for simplicity over advanced functionality. Love them or leave them, that is the motto for Apple products.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #34
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Preaching to the choir -- I own no Apple products, nor do I intend to any time soon lol.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #35
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
App store is all fine and well, just an opportunity to also install stuff not in it would be nice....
There is, it's called Cidia.

I also like the App Store.

But the more I find out about the iPad, the more I think it's a dud, like Apple TV. Too many shortcomings, too little that's right, methinks.

The book publishers are excited, because they think they can finally roll Amazon. The newspapers and magazine publishers are excited, because they think people will pay good money for subscriptions. I personally am doubtful about both.

The iPad is playing a major role, though, because it's getting 'appliance" tablets in the public's attention. I am hoping that more suitable products, with Flash, larger screens and better specs will follow soon, from Android, and maybe in a year, from Apple itself.

But v.1 will be like a bad summer blockbuster - great opening, then a rapid drop in sales once the average Joe figures out he can't surf half the web, and he has to pay $300 for the WSJ.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #36
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
There is, it's called Cidia.

I also like the App Store.

But the more I find out about the iPad, the more I think it's a dud, like Apple TV. Too many shortcomings, too little that's right, methinks.

The book publishers are excited, because they think they can finally roll Amazon. The newspapers and magazine publishers are excited, because they think people will pay good money for subscriptions. I personally am doubtful about both.

The iPad is playing a major role, though, because it's getting 'appliance" tablets in the public's attention. I am hoping that more suitable products, with Flash, larger screens and better specs will follow soon, from Android, and maybe in a year, from Apple itself.

But v.1 will be like a bad summer blockbuster - great opening, then a rapid drop in sales once the average Joe figures out he can't surf half the web, and he has to pay $300 for the WSJ.
Cydia, you mean. But someone must find a way to jaibreak the iPad first before you can access that.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #37
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
I am keen to purchase an iPad. My laptop is dying and all I use it for is email and web browsing. I play with my photographs on my desktop computer, for some time I have wanted an iPod touch with a large screen and 3G networking.

The 10 hour battery life is quoted as 10 hours of playing videos.

The iPod touch and iPhone do multitask, just not app store apps. As was pointed out earlier you can play music whilst reading emails and so on.

If the applications open quickly enough at the same spot you left it you may not notice that some apps do not multitask when it is only a moment to switch between them.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #38
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Im iPad mad too

Looking forward to FINALLY beinmg able to read eComics in a suitable form, will use it for casual games, browsing web and connecting to my media PC via VNC for controlling music etc in other rooms.

the multitasking is in my opinion a giant red herring. for the VASt majority it is unnecesary and the cost in processer use/battery is not worth it for the tiny benefits.

Firstly you dont really close the apps when you move to another app any more thanb you do when alt tabbing on a windows machine.
basically leaving one app to go to another is for the most part pretty automatic.

PC- hold alt and press tab once or twice to get to other programme
iPad - press home, press new app

in both you havent lost anything in the previous app you havent had to save anything when you go back to the app it will be in the same place it was before etc

There are a few exceptions however wher i can see a problem with this system, non OS music eg Pandora and VNC clients where a reconnection is required.

For me though the benefits do outweigh the cost.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #39
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkzombie View Post
I am keen to purchase an iPad. My laptop is dying and all I use it for is email and web browsing.....
If you are fine with not being able to access any sites which use Flash (just about every major site), or accessing the dumbed down mobile versions of such sites, then the iPad will be fine.

If you want a normal desktop browsing experience, I'd wait for the Android tablets which are coming in over the next few months.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #40
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
If you are fine with not being able to access any sites which use Flash (just about every major site), or accessing the dumbed down mobile versions of such sites, then the iPad will be fine.

If you want a normal desktop browsing experience, I'd wait for the Android tablets which are coming in over the next few months.
What you actually mean is you won't be able to use sites that rely completely on flash. Many sites use flash for some of their content. Very few use it as the only way to access content. I can't remember the last time I tried to use a flash only site. They are generally pain anyway to use, and are mostly for show.

I'd also certainly not say that "just about every major site" uses only flash. That's absurd. It all comes down to what sites you use on a daily basis. Very very very little of my daily browsing (which is extensive) consists of using flash only sites. Most seem to use it mainly for games or video playback.

In fact in an effort to see if the lack of flash would impact me at all I've had it turned off for the last few weeks and hardly noticed the difference, apart from when the wife complained about not being able to play Farmville

Last edited by deltop; 03-05-2010 at 05:28 AM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #41
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
What you actually mean is you won't be able to use sites that rely completely on flash. Many sites use flash for some of their content....
Well, Flash is heavily used by many sites, such as arts organizations, media sites, entertainment sites, sports sites, fashion sites and so on. There are a ton of great sites done completely in Flash, including some major ones in the fields I listed.

I don't want to turn this into another Flash argument, but even those Penguin books, which look like they were done in the '90s, would be easier to produce and deploy across platforms using Adobe's tools. And they'll look way better, too.

As to books, I don't mind spending a couple of hundred dollars on apps during the lifespan of my iPhone, knowing that if I switch platforms I'll lose them.

But books are different. I like to keep the books I buy, and books as iApps are not keepers.

Last edited by Sonist; 03-05-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #42
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I got an email yesterday that Runtime Revolution, a development environment I'm fond of, can now produce apps. They have a web plugin, too, as well as the ability to compile standalone executables for an incredibly wide variety of systems. I don't know yet how their apps would get onto the iP* system, but there should be a way to test them during development. That might indicate a more open system for those who are willing to make certain "authorized" changes, but probably limits Apple support afterward.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #43
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
I use a flash blocker on my computers now so I will not be missing much. I already have an iPod touch so all the applications will transfer over to the iPad.

I knew when I was buying all the applications I did that it would become a vendor lock in. but I decided I would pay that price.

Most of the applications I have are paid for not the free variety. I have over 50 paid applications.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #44
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Well, Flash is heavily used by many sites, such as arts organizations, media sites, entertainment sites, sports sites, fashion sites and so on. There are a ton of great sites done completely in Flash, including some major ones in the fields I listed.
I'm not a huge Flash advocate either (it's got lots of problems), but a lot of native East Asian websites are heavily flash-reliant, including some government sites. It could be a deal breaker for quite a few people, though naturally not everyone.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #45
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
First off - I don't worship at the Church of Apple. I remember when the Apple I was released...

The smart thing to do with the Ipad is to not buy anything for a year. See what Pixel Qi, Mirasol and Liquavista get out the door. Then make a decision. Unless you just need a $600 throwaway....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote