Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #31
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
gargoyle67 reported (1st Impressions Of Pocket Pro) that reformatting to fat32 worked.
That is not really a very good thing to do though. The original internal filesystem that the reader comes with is FAT16. FAT32 is unnecessary for a small filesystem, and according to Microsoft FAT32 is not even supported on filesystems under 512 MegaBytes. The PocketPRO's internal filesystem is only 367 MegaBytes.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc940351.aspx
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #32
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is not really a very good thing to do though. The original internal filesystem that the reader comes with is FAT16. FAT32 is unnecessary for a small filesystem, and according to Microsoft FAT32 is not even supported on filesystems under 512 MegaBytes. The PocketPRO's internal filesystem is only 367 MegaBytes.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc940351.aspx
Its an old oudated Microsoft page, it also says on the same page, "Disadvantages of FAT32 include: . . . .
FAT32 volumes are not accessible from any other operating systems other than Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98."

although that may have been the case at the time of writing this is clearly incorrect and out of date as nearly everything can read fat32 noawadays including most flavours of linux.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #33
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Dave_S,

Could your SD card be corrupted? You might try reformatting it, and restoring.

Just a thought...

Kent Walters

EDIT: redbaron101

My iRex reads Fat16 only.

KW

Last edited by Kent Walters; 10-11-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #34
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
Its an old oudated Microsoft page, it also says on the same page, "Disadvantages of FAT32 include: . . . .
FAT32 volumes are not accessible from any other operating systems other than Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98."

although that may have been the case at the time of writing this is clearly incorrect and out of date as nearly everything can read fat32 noawadays including most flavours of linux.
also, as I recall, long files names were not fully supported in FAT16 w/o a special driver and even then it could blow your file system if the root directory had too many entries. Otherwise FAT16 was limited strictly to the 8.3 naming convention. It's been a LONG time since I even looked at a FAT16 system so some of that might be off...

I also cannot recall a system of any sort I have run across that does not support long filenames which means it is FAT32 or some 32-bit OS...

I would think for an ebook reader FAT32 is a MUST support sorta thing. Without it the OS will need to maintain a dedicated database that maps filenames longer than the 8.3 format to an 8.3 filename...might as well use FAT32 if they are going to that much trouble. BTW, this is essentially what the special driver for MSDOS under Win95 did, even so, it was messy at best.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #35
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Walters View Post
Dave_S,

Could your SD card be corrupted? You might try reformatting it, and restoring.

Just a thought...

Kent Walters
This concerns the internal file system being accessed via USB, not the SD card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Walters View Post
EDIT: redbaron101

My iRex reads Fat16 only.

KW
The Jinke/Hanlin devices all have FAT16 as their internal file system as well, but the type of file system is really irrelevant to the subject of this thread concerning USB issues.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #36
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
This concerns the internal file system being accessed via USB, not the SD card.

The Jinke/Hanlin devices all have FAT16 as their internal file system as well, but the type of file system is really irrelevant to the subject of this thread concerning USB issues.
I was just thinking that it might not be a hardware issue; I'd reformat the card before I hooked up my o'sope.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote