Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2022, 01:57 AM   #31
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I found it well written, but very very bleak. And no real ending. I feel who could have done more with it. But I don't like horror.
The book appealed to me despite the faults that you cite. I wouldn't reread it in a hurry. Anyway, Happy Reading!
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:18 AM   #32
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Night in the Lonesome October by Zelazny.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2022, 03:50 PM   #33
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a novella and only US$ 3.00 and I really loved it. Everyone else did as well as you can see by the comments. Riding Shotgun by Charles D. Lint.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VKUSR04
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #34
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
The book appealed to me despite the faults that you cite. I wouldn't reread it in a hurry. Anyway, Happy Reading!
Obviously, his vision is very bleak. I could have handled that because of the quality of the writing. I think what bothered me most was the writing.

SPOILER ALERT.

He doesn't solve anything. It could have been something if he'd worked out how the characters found a solution to danger. He didn't really, at all. It was just a tacked on maybe.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I did just get Hell-O-Ween from Kindle Unlimited.
I just finished a book and decided to read Hell-O-Ween myself.

Once I finish that (assuming my fickle tastes don't change) I'm planning on reading Whisper Down the Lane by Clay Chapman (which I was reminded of by the title Darkness on the Edge of Town).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I may re-read A Thief of Always by Barker.
Bob or Clive?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bob'll fight you for it!
Old 10-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Bob'll fight you for it!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:06 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Dr. I'm enjoying Hell-O-Ween. It is pulp horror, without pretense. A bunch of teens foolishly partying in a cursed Colorado cave on Halloween night and what happens because of it. The teens are given enough personality and the pacing is spot on. I don't want to oversell it. It is pulp. You won't ponder the underlying message while sipping single malt. But for what it is, it is a solid example.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:37 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dr. I'm enjoying Hell-O-Ween. It is pulp horror, without pretense. A bunch of teens foolishly partying in a cursed Colorado cave on Halloween night and what happens because of it. The teens are given enough personality and the pacing is spot on. I don't want to oversell it. It is pulp. You won't ponder the underlying message while sipping single malt. But for what it is, it is a solid example.
Thanks for the heads up on your reactions. I've been very curious about this since it was mentioned about a week ago. I have it on my Kobo Libra 2 and plan to read it just after I finish reading Annie Ernaux's "I Remain in Darkness". She won this year's Nobel Prize in Literature. It's a short novella: I'm showing I have 24 minutes left before I finish it.

AND THEN I'll be starting Robbins' book.

I like to balance out literary works with genre readings. (I also do this with short story titles and novels, but I read both books concurrently.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-14-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:47 AM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

By the way, as I've mentioned in earlier posts, I'm a big Richard Laymon fan.

I have one Halloween book by him that I have yet to read: Once Upon A Halloween.

Are you - or anyone interested in this thread - familiar with this title?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-14-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
By the way, as I've mentioned in earlier posts, I'm a big Richard Laymon fan.

I have one Halloween book by him that I have yet to read: Once Upon A Halloween.

Are you - or anyone interested in this thread - familiar with this title?
I'm only familiar with All Hallow-s Eve and I haven't read that one.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Mangler is a really good story.
Oh my. I read that many years ago, and still have a laughable cartoon-y image of the mangler running around in hot pursuit of potential victims. I found it one of the silliest, dumbest stories ever. To each his own.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oh my. I read that many years ago, and still have a laughable cartoon-y image of the mangler running around in hot pursuit of potential victims. I found it one of the silliest, dumbest stories ever. To each his own.
The Mangler is silly, but I still remember many of the details even though I haven't read the story in decades. There's something to say about that.

I try watching the movie from time to time. Don't. It's not good. But there's something about it that makes me feel like I missed something that if I got it would make me enjoy the movie.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #45
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
The Mangler is silly, but I still remember many of the details even though I haven't read the story in decades. There's something to say about that.

I try watching the movie from time to time. Don't. It's not good. But there's something about it that makes me feel like I missed something that if I got it would make me enjoy the movie.
I'm not a horror fan, so maybe that makes a difference. I stopped reading Stephen King after The Shining.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote