Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Don't ever accuse me of FUD unless you have 100% proof I am wrong.
I sure don't want to get into a tiresome debate with you, but in post #11 of this thread, you said "If you really want a Nook get a Nook, but don't be surprised if you lose any books you buy." So, in your words, there is 100% proof that you are wrong.

I will let it go at that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I sure don't want to get into a tiresome debate with you, but in post #11 of this thread, you said "If you really want a Nook get a Nook, but don't be surprised if you lose any books you buy." So, in your words, there is 100% proof that you are wrong.

I will let it go at that.
My apologies then. Though you quoted a different post of mine. You quoted my ecosystem post hence my comment to you.

And yes with Nook, you dang sure better back up your books or you might really lose them like I did.
That isn't FUD and has nothing to do with being locked into an ecosystem.
One had nothing to do with the other.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #33
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a somewhat misleading statement. It's pretty much irrelevant that most non-Amazon bookstores sell ePub, because they all sell the same books. There are more books (considerably more, in fact) available through Amazon, because Amazon have a lot of exclusives. Pretty much the only benefit of ePub is if you want to borrow library books.

Buying a Kindle certainly doesn't "lock" you into Amazon; I read on a Kindle, but the majority of my books were bought from sites other than Amazon (a lot from Baen, for example).

There are pros and cons with all devices, but you really can't go wrong with either Amazon or Kobo.
Does Amazon really have more books than Google? Google offers millions of PD books. Sure, Amazon might have some 'exclusives', but that doesn't mean they have more.

And once you're talking millions of books, does 'more' really have any meaning?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Does Amazon really have more books than Google? Google offers millions of PD books. Sure, Amazon might have some 'exclusives', but that doesn't mean they have more.

Amazon has almost the same amount if not more PD books as Google Play.
That used to be a marketing ploy. Millions of free books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Amazon has a lot of exclusive self-pubbed titles (some new, some backlist), plus all of the titles from the APub imprints, and also has a verylarge number of PD titles (Google may have more).

I get what you're saying about the meaning of "more", but some of those non-PD exclusives might be a big deal for some folks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #36
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
I have both Kobo (H20) and Kindle (Voyage). And I've been using Voyage more time than I use H2O, because Voyage is small and lighter. I know you are gonna buy a Paperwhite. But one thing I really want to say, which is H2O got a much better display than Voyage for me.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w33 View Post
Decided to grab Paperwhite and see how I feel about that. If it's fine I'll just grab oasis or whatever the 'cool' model is when it breaks or if it lasts me long enough. I'll just have to be a bit careful in the bath tub. And if not my kind of thing I know what the other options are now.

Is there any piece of software other than Calibre that I'll need?
An excellent choice, especially if you got it at the recent discounted price. The high-res screen with front light is one of the best available, and it will let you see how you get on with an ereader.

I'd recommend adding in Apprentice Alf's calibre plugin from the tools archive. This will remove the DRM from Kindle ebooks as they are imported into calibre.

You might also want to install Kindle for PC (or Mac) from Amazon's website, as books imported from your Paperwhite will only have B&W covers. Downloading them through Kindle for PC and importing those versions into calibre will give colour covers in calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #38
w33
w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.w33 is no ebook tyro.

Device: None
Others already recommended those but thanks. I just ordered today and will receive it tomorrow. Will come back with questions if I got some.
w33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #39
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
With Kobo, however, content from the Kobo store can be read on any eink device that reads epubs, including Nooks and Pocketbooks, and hence you're not locked into a system.
Unless of course they are kepubs
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Unless of course they are kepubs
Most books from the Kobo store can be downloaded as an epub. And most of the rest are only readable using the Kobo apps on a tablet.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #41
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I lost a Nook book, and then complained and got it back, and then it disappeared again. Their customer service is horrible. And you can see by my username that I started out a fan. I would get a Kindle. There are tons of books, great deals on books, if you're in the US you can get library e-books delivered wirelessly to your kindle (which is why I first got a kindle) and their customer service is very good.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I lost a Nook book, and then complained and got it back, and then it disappeared again. Their customer service is horrible. And you can see by my username that I started out a fan.
I'm with you there. They started out so well.

Their hardware is still nice (though they stumbled with the Nook Glowlight storage debacle). It's too bad they don't back that hardware up with a better store and better customer service.

From the outside, the Nook situation doesn't seem like it would be difficult to fix if they only knew what they were doing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I still think there's a case to be made for Nooks. A device with a 6" screen, 300 ppi, waterproof and reads epubs? No other current device I'm aware of hits even three of those, much less all four. And in the US, it's the only try-before-you-buy option other than Kindle.

My first eink reader was the original Nook; I only ever had sterling customer service from B&N, better than from Amazon. Obviously, going by the reports here, that's not typical, but it was true for me.

There are tradeoffs. If the factors I mentioned above push someone's buttons, then I think Nook is a good choice. If you don't mind sideloading and are afraid of losing access to your library, buy books from Kobo. Just remember that no library is guaranteed.

Last edited by issybird; 11-30-2016 at 01:37 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #44
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I still think there's a case to be made for Nooks. A device with a 6" screen, 300 ppi, waterproof and reads epubs? No other current device I'm aware of hits even three of those, much less all four. And in the US, it's the only try-before-you-buy option other than Kindle.
Whilst your general point is sound, for accuracy there are the Tolino Vision 3 and 4 HD, which have 300dpi, 6" screen, read epubs and have waterproofing. The Pocketbook Touch HD does not have the waterproofing, but has the other features.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Whilst your general point is sound, for accuracy there are the Tolino Vision 3 and 4 HD, which have 300dpi, 6" screen, read epubs and have waterproofing. The Pocketbook Touch HD does not have the waterproofing, but has the other features.
Thanks for the correction. Those devices are lustworthy. Interestingly, Tolino UK won't ship them here, but Tolino DE will.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote