Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2016, 04:20 AM   #31
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And most of them end badly for the humans.
Two words - 'Demon Seed'.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #32
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I mostly use my Echo for weather updates, timers and music. I'm getting the hang of the audiobooks, although I have other devices for that. I'm adding a light switch so I don't have to walk down my dark hall and fall over the cat (can't see as well as I once did). I love my Echo, very nice speaker, but can't, at this time, justify paying $179 for another. I recently started using the text-to-speech for those kindle books that don't have an audiobook and that is working well!

I'm getting the Echo Dot, and will likely place it in the kitchen. I have several good speakers if I need one. It's mostly to benefit my Mom, but if she doesn't care for it, I can put it a different area and eventually, it would be in my sewing room. My bedroom already has an Itouch devoted to it, and no need for any further automation.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I recently started using the text-to-speech for those kindle books that don't have an audiobook and that is working well!
I tried it and didn't like the results. I'll give it another shot sometime soon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
The Echo Dot appeals to me for it's use as an alarm clock. Are there similar devices on the market?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Echo Dot appeals to me for it's use as an alarm clock. Are there similar devices on the market?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too messy!

I think I'll just put Alexa in my bedroom and use her as my alarm.

I have a jungle chicken (see my avatar) that makes all kinds of noises, but she doesn't adhere to a schedule, or follow orders.

Last edited by booklover6; 03-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #37
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Similar to an alarm clock?
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Similar to an alarm clock?
I know, right? But alarm clocks make horrible sounds, or play the radio. So if someone (like a child) messes up the station, the alarm won't make any sound when it goes off. Which means I won't wake up. But the echo makes nice sounds.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Your cell phone.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #40
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Too messy!
I have a jungle chicken (see my avatar) that makes all kinds of noises, but she doesn't adhere to a schedule, or follow orders.
Just don't teach her to say "Alexa".
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Your cell phone.
No way....not that I get texts in the middle of the night, but I could. Or app notifications. That's not something I want to hear when I'm asleep LOL
Old 03-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
No way....not that I get texts in the middle of the night, but I could. Or app notifications. That's not something I want to hear when I'm asleep LOL
Airplane mode fixes this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I ordered a Dot. Yes I got the $99-with-voice-remote deal for Prime members, but that is not the proper price comparison. Now that same thing is $179 without a remote. It is half the price if you don't need speakers. But yes, I'm sure there will be promotions in the future that will get it below the initial $89 price.

I'd like to see them upgrade Echo devices to support pairing with Bluetooth headset/headphones so they can be used 'silently' (with respect to other people, in workplaces etc.). Not sure Dot output will work with wired headphones, but hope so.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-07-2016 at 11:39 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #44
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'd like to see a Dot like appliance with a built in cellular modem and data plan (as opposed to a mobile hot spot), and 12 volt DC power supply for my car. And of course a boat load of skills designed for use in the car.

I believe at least one auto manufacturer is looking at this.

Just last night, on my way to the supermarket, I was wishing I could add something to my shopping list, but of course Alexa had to stay home.

Last edited by wodin; 03-08-2016 at 11:46 AM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #45
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I'll get an Amazon Echo when the price drops; I won't pay $179 for it. I play with it on my Fire TV, and it's useful, but the AI has to get a lot smarter.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote