Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #31
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Thats easy to fix. Just get some exploants. They love to eat mole-made explosives, just for the taste of it.
Of course you afterwards will have to be careful where you step - stepping on an ant loaded with explosives can hurt.
Quite, and I thank-you for the reminder. I had a friend who once slapped off his arm what he thought was a mosquito, but it turned out to be an exploant. Oddly, he didn't explode but, rather, imploded. I guess it was because he had an antonym.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aaaarg !!! (antonym)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-09-2008 at 09:58 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #33
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
the platter of Sparkly Fairy skewers
I was there as a skewer?
In that case I didn't won't have fun at all and have decided I didn't go, so will therefore ignore the invitation when it finally arrives.

Last edited by Mindy; 06-10-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #34
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post

I was there as a skewer?
In that case I didn't won't have fun at all and have decided I didn't go, so will therefore ignore the invitation when it finally arrives.
Oh, Mindy, Mindy, Mindy. Someone should probably have mentioned that the invite comes without an RSVP. Obviously, with the party being in the past, I know who came, and so I wouldn't invite anyone that wasn't there (it's one of those time paradoxes, where if I invite someone who wasn't there, then they end up killing my own grandfather and a butterfly over Japan...or something).

I have good news though!

There's no need to worry, as when Adrian (Taylor514ce) says "Sparkly Fairy Skewers", it's a bit like when we say we're serving Devils on Horseback or Frog in the Hole or Bubble & Squeak or Spotted Dick. We're obviously not really eating any devils or their horses, and we're not really eating a frog from a hole, and we're not really eating things that bubble with things that squeak, and we're not really eating spotted...err, let's just move along, shall we?

Anyway, I assure you that no guest of mine shall did ever have will come to any harm other than that which is self-inflicted, on my honor! (which, contrary to popular belief, is actually scoring very highly and flying higher on the multiversal stock exchange. It is a standard of currency in 1,970 solar systems in this galaxy alone).

Now, can I get you some more Steamed-and-Eviscerated-Squirrel? (Do you like chocolate?)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #35
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Excellent! In which case I must've asked for the recipe. I shall expect it with my invitation, which we probably agreed would save on postage.
I'll take another of those Carter Deluxes now... you can backdate it (forward it?) to the party if you like.... which is probably why I don't remember about the skewers....
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I got an invitation by attending... since I was there, I was invited. Don't you just love time paradoxes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #37
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I got an invitation by saying I wasn't interested. Ended up there two days earlier, being told that I had to accept the invitation, because of quantum. Go figure.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #38
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I'm still there. Just me and the squirrels. Time to strike up the band, again? Edit Avatar.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #39
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Naah, I must have be there too - I can see your grooving squirrel band!
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #40
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I think I got this tense thing figured out. Just bought a copy of Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. Says here that the tense we're looking for wizzle on page345, right after Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional...

D'oh!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #41
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would love to check this tense ... but I have the problem that I have not enough storage space to hold this book. Its just to freaking big!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I think I got this tense thing figured out. Just bought a copy of Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. Says here that the tense we're looking for wizzle on page345, right after Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional...
well thank heaven we've got that sorted. pshrynk, whatever would we do without you...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #43
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Excellent!
So we're all good for another party last month then?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #44
tirsales

:yay:
Old 06-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #45
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
E-book readers

Just went through the same process. Found this site as I was researching e-book readers as well.

I just got the Kindle. Think that you're right on target with your analysis about the differences in the two. Here are some of my personal observations about the Kindle that may help you in your decision making.

Technology wise, the Kindle is excellent. I travel more than 100 days per year and an ebook reader saves me slupping 10 lbs of paper through airports and cities. I am 100% sold on the merits of owning a reader. As to which one - isn't that the question.

Unfortunately, neither Sony and Kindle allows books you purchase to be shared with friends and other users and as far as I can tell, neither allow you to checkout materials from either Netlibrary or Overdrive Library. A real turn-off since they have lots of current ebooks for checkout. (Although I will try again to register my Kindle's PID with overdrive using one of the utilities from this site)

There is a good selection of books from Amazon and the free ebooks from this site download easily and are great old classics. If the pricing remains the same on Amazon's ebooks it's tolerable. As you mention, the selection and pricing for ebooks for the Sony seems not as good. I have to believe that since books are Amazon's core business, they will remain price competitive.

The internet/whispernet feature with the Kindle works, but not as seamlessly as you might expect. Unless you have set up a "wish list" or previously download a sample chapter of a book, it is painful to try and buy a book from Amazon directly from the Kindle. Searching and paging is slower than snails. Going to Amazon via your computer is light-years faster. However, when you do purchase a book from the Amazon site, it does literally show up on your Kindle ready for reading in seconds.

The Kindle comes with experimental internet access and preloaded bookmarks for about 10 sites for news and sports info. The bookmarks work well, but keying in your own URL is slow. Another experimental feature is an online research link called "NowNow". You can get almost instant information from real people researching just about anything on the net except about the Kindle because they are contractually obligated to refer you to Kindle support. I got a great chuckle from that one! I was surprised, however, at how functional the typing keys were when I typed a message to NowNow. Even though they're so tiny, they work great.

The size of the Kindle is very comfortable and the case it comes with is clever and extremely functional. (it also comes with usb and power cords)

The most disturbing element of the Kindle for me is the placement of the buttons on the sides - one reviewer mentioned that he just couldn't find a way to pick the thing up. And it is, literally almost that bad. In an effort to make the Kindle functional for many users, developers put large pagination buttons on both sides. I am constantly bumping the wrong one (although admittedly I've only had the thing for three days). The only saving feature is that the Kindle moves back and forth between pages much faster than the Sony. I have also gotten used to the e-ink flash between pages. Choosing different type sizes on the Kindle is easy, although you have only one choice of font.

Added to the poor button placement is that the power and wireless on/off buttons are on the back of the device so that you have to take turn it over to use them, bumping those danged buttons. Again, the only saving feature is that you don't need to use the on/off buttons very often since you can put Kindle to sleep from the front and the battery stays charged through multiple books particularly if you turn off the wireless unless you're using it.

All in all, I love the availability of reading material using an e-book reader. Since Amazon has a 30day return policy, I have several more weeks to decide if I can live with those danged buttons. Other than the buttons (and the $350) the Kindle is a great little device for reading. Forget the mp3 function since it uses up the battery faster and randomizes tracks. Until they get a touch screen and stylus, it's really not great for accessing the net other than news, "NowNow" and receiving new books.

Please let us know what you purchase and your evaluation.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote