Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why are people so concerned about this? Is Amazon evil? Are their books overpriced? Do they intentionally and willfully cheat the consumer and society?
There is a reason Amazon is so successful. All Amazon fans are not deluded. I realized from the beginning I was allowing myself to be locked in. I found Calibre, and I discovered libraries and other ebook formats. I have experienced customer service at Amazon and at other ebook sellers. Amazon just does it better.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
There is a reason Amazon is so successful. All Amazon fans are not deluded. I realized from the beginning I was allowing myself to be locked in. I found Calibre, and I discovered libraries and other ebook formats. I have experienced customer service at Amazon and at other ebook sellers. Amazon just does it better.
Agree with this.. Lets be honest Amazon just does online book browsing and finding much better than anyone else. I even have a B&N Nook but I still find myself going to Amazon to actually find the books I want because B&N web interface and browsing experience just sucks. I've tried the others as well and again Amazon beats them hands down. I'm now considering buying a Kindle PW to replace my NST because Amazon just has a better back end than any one else. What is really sad is there is nothing stopping B&N or anyone else from fixing their systems but they don't so why should I continue to wast my money on a company that does not give a flip about me or what I want. At least when I complain to Amazon someone replies to me. I don't know how many times I've written B&N and not once have I gotten a response.

So yes Amazon is winning the war but they are winning because they deserve to win because they are making it easy for me to Find what I want, When I want it, With the lest amount of hassle. Even if DRM was removed Today and no one had to use it I would still shop at Amazon because they are better than any one else at giving me what I want. The other book sellers have no one to blame but themselves for the problems they have.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #33
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
Agree with this.. Lets be honest Amazon just does online book browsing and finding much better than anyone else. I even have a B&N Nook but I still find myself going to Amazon to actually find the books I want because B&N web interface and browsing experience just sucks.
April next year B&N will launch a completely new website that is supposed to be much more integrated with Nook.
So hopefully that will make the B&N web experience more on par with Amazon.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I would be perfectly happy to switch from Amazon, but why should I when they offer better prices, selection, and customer service than the competition?

As a consumer, I don't see the benefit to paying more for a smaller selection and worse customer service.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
April next year B&N will launch a completely new website that is supposed to be much more integrated with Nook.
Assuming they last that long.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Assuming they last that long.....
And assuming they actually live up to their claims. Their track record isn't the best re: ability.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I would be perfectly happy to switch from Amazon, but why should I when they offer better prices?
Is their stuff actually cheaper? I've read reports that it's not particularly the case.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Is their stuff actually cheaper? I've read reports that it's not particularly the case.
Well, Baen Bundles (which I buy) are definitely cheaper than Amazon, at least until the bundle breaks. Beyond that, I can only speak to my own experience which is that I'm spending less buying from Amazon than I did when I bought elsewhere, though I may not be buying the same books I would otherwise.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
In general, yes. I do a lot of comparison shopping before buying things, and I'd say that 90% of the time Amazon is the least expensive or matches the lowest price for most items I purchase online, ebooks included.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #40
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
To the last point, yes they do. Their business model is based on tax dodging and they treat their temp staff like many companies treat staff in India etc. It is not a good trend.
Their business model is based on tax avoidance, which is different than tax evasion or dodging. Using legal means to reduce one's taxes is not unethical. If the laws are faulty, it is not Amazon's fault for obeying the laws in the way that is most beneficial to their bottom line.

Any company that treats its staff poorly will not retain staff for long. There are dramatic costs involved in employee turnover, and successful companies do not encourage employee churn. My guess is that Amazon is paying pretty well, and most people will give up a lot of dignity for a big paycheck. Who are you to judge them for their free choice?
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
By the time they finally get around to doing this they will have already lost the game. I have waited years for them to fix the bad web experience and now it's time for a new device. So do I pick a device from the supplier that has shown in the past that they don't give a flip about me and what I want or do I pick up a device from the supplier that has proven over time to be a advocate of consumers and actually does provide what I want. I'm not the only one in this boat and I think B&N has waited to long to fix the issues or even to admit they have issues. I'm tired of waiting and I'm tired of the frustration so it's now time to find another supplier. In my case I think that supplier is going to be Amazon.

What is also sad is that the B&N B&M stores are loosing there appeal to me as well. In those cases that I need or want a paper book I don't mind waiting a couple of days for it to get here. The last paper back book I bought I got at the Grocery store (The House of Hades) for my son because the Grocery store wanted $11 for it and but B&N wanted ~$18 or I think ~$16 with a B&N Card where am I going so spend my money? Now that the initial rush is off B&N still wants the same price for it but Amazon wants $10 with free shipping (prime member) or $4.99 for the kindle edition again where am I going to spend my money?

I'm sorry I think this has turned into more of a rant but I'm very disappointed with B&N and what really bugs me is that this is all self inflicted Amazon did not do this to them they did it to themselves and have no one to blame but themselves.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
By the time they finally get around to doing this they will have already lost the game. I have waited years for them to fix the bad web experience and now it's time for a new device. So do I pick a device from the supplier that has shown in the past that they don't give a flip about me and what I want or do I pick up a device from the supplier that has proven over time to be a advocate of consumers and actually does provide what I want.
I'm not a fan of B&N, but the HD/HD+ tablets are really nice and very cheap these days. Buy an HD+. Blow away the B&N OS. Install Cyanogenmod (Android 4.2). Install Kindle app/Nook app/whatever ebook reader you like. End up with a solid *useful* device.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #43
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Agree with this.. Lets be honest Amazon just does online book browsing and finding much better than anyone else.
The only site I can recall that was as good as Amazon-and better IMO for ebooks-was Fictionwise. I had hopes for B&N when they bought FW but apparently they bought it to kill off the competition rather than learn how to improve their site. The only area in which I disliked FW's site was how they sorted by ratings. I would have preferred a book with fewer than some arbitrary number of ratings (at least 10, maybe 25) to be shown as unrated. Far too often I looked for 'excellent' books and had to page thru dozens that had only 1 rating. Sure, it was excellent-but how reliable is a single rating?

Other than that slight quibble I liked it better than Amazon. For ebooks, of course. I do find Amazon interesting & their recommendations are sometimes good. But their searches are horrible. Not that it doesn't find what you want but that it pulls in so much garbage. As an example I searched for McKevitt (author of the Savannah Reid mysteries). The 4th item listed was the movie 'Bullseye' starring Michael Caine & Roger Moore. I even checked the list of supporting actors-not a McKevitt among them. Stupid. But it's easy to ignore so really just a minor complaint.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My favorite bookstore is OverDrive, followed by Amazon. Really have no need to shop elsewhere.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #45
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
And when, EVER, has the gov't actually solved a problem without creating 52 others? Problems that didn't exist before gov't interference?

More gov't isn't the solution.
Well said. Karma to you good sir.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote