Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Facebook?
I am a member 48 43.64%
I am not a member 33 30.00%
I would not go there to enter a contest, and I ignore any contest that sends me there. 49 44.55%
I would go there to enter a contest, or help someone meet their goal. 3 2.73%
It depends on the prize. 3 2.73%
I am more likely to buy something to win something, than to go to Facebook and enter for free. 12 10.91%
I think Facebook is a great social networking site and I love it! 10 9.09%
I think its a timewasting, brain draining site, and I hate it. 49 44.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I'm a member only because that is the only way I'm staying in contact with family. Seems e-mails take too much time now.
Seriously?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not a member, wouldn't go there even if you paid me, I'll most likely buy my price myself, and I think it should be abolished...

Does that answer your questions?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Not a member, wouldn't go there even if you paid me, I'll most likely buy my price myself, and I think it should be abolished...

Yes MA'M!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #34
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

No - how do you really feel about it? You're being a bit evasive there...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #35
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I am a member, but I don't use any apps it has, and the list of my friends is strictly limited to people I know in real life, and trust. And the account preferences are set to nearly maximum privacy/information hiding.
This way I stay in touch with people I want to stay in touch with, and no one else.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #36
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
I'm a member only because that is the only way I'm staying in contact with family. Seems e-mails take too much time now.
Great Quote.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #37
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I'm on FB like lots of my customers, keep in touch w/ them that way, use the usual hygienic precautions (privacy etc.), follow people on 12 timezones that way, spend 20 mn a day there... far less than on MR ;-) -just part of my job.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
No - how do you really feel about it? You're being a bit evasive there...
Do you really want to know?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #39
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I believe I've mentioned this on another thread here, but I detest social networking. It is turning my law students into brainless zombies and is one of the largest sources of lost time and resources in my law firm. I cannot phathom a world in which so many people want to put so much personal information out there for the whole world to see. And to you people who will immediately say that you have a private account, don't believe for a second that a potential employere couldn't find his way into it very easily and judge you by what he sees there.

On a personal level, I'm happily anti-social. I don't want to be found.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #40
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Same here.

I had just pitched my MySpace account overboard when my sister told me she was on FB and used it to keep in touch with a bunch of family members with whom she hadn't spoken in a long time (and I hadn't for even longer). I was estranged from my family for a good 15 years (it would take me another 15 to explain) and suddenly I'm talking to my grandparents and aunts & uncles whom I hadn't seen since I was a teenager. In fact I got to see a couple of those relatives for the first time in 25 years this last weekend so yeah, believe it or not it actually serves a worthwhile purpose for some. I don't bother with the games and block anything that isn't a bonafide post, but other than discovering a really cool band from the UK I basically just check it every so often like another email account.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #41
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Question Somewhat tongue in cheek...

Y'know what I find interesting? There are a number of people who've posted they are pretty much opposed to Facebook and the whole "social networking" scene.

Yet, isn't chatting / writing to a bunch of people that most only know by screen-name and writing style still a form of "social networking"?

Hmmm...

Regards,

Vandy
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #42
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Y'know what I find interesting? There are a number of people who've posted they are pretty much opposed to Facebook and the whole "social networking" scene.

Yet, isn't chatting / writing to a bunch of people that most only know by screen-name and writing style still a form of "social networking"?

Hmmm...

Regards,

Vandy
No........I don't see the comparison at all between here and facebook.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #43
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post

Hmmm...

Regards,

Vandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
No........I don't see the comparison at all between here and facebook.
They're both social networking. FB just requires less of its users; MR has higher standards AND BEFORE ANYONE LAUGHS...

...seriously, follow me on this one...

A bunch of stupid people can find another bunch of stupid people on FB and they can all commiserate on how stupid they are and pretend they understand politics and play Farmville or whatever primes their pump, and it all requires just enough brain cells to line up in a row. If you try that here at MR, you'll find yourself in a group of one in short order. I'd love to see how many aborted MR memberships there are with only 3 or 4 posts and 10 karma because it was decided--by either the new member or those with whom he/she interacted--that MR wasn't for them. Might have been politics, religion, a dislike of ABBA, whatever...On FB they would have just blocked the user and been on their merry way. Here, either you're in or you're out. We have rules, and you're expected to follow them. FB is the streets, this is a club.

HOWEVER, it's still all social networking. I come to MR just as often as I go to FB; one is for family and the other is for friends, but it's all social, and it's all networking beacuse in both cases we're scattered all over the planet. We've come a long way from the BBSes in the '90s, and you can often find entire conversations going on over several days in some threads here. The only e-books I have are technical manuals and how-to's for IT, but I'm still as much a part of this whole MR experience as anyone else, aren't I? We know each other--from a distance, but still--and we're familiar with everyone's quirks, idiosyncrasies, changes in hair color, musical tastes...

At what point is that not social networking?
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #44
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I disagree. I have complete anonymity here. People that I went to high school cannot find me by my username. Its the difference between chosing to put your real name out there, which some users have done here, and it being a requisite for admission on places like facebook.

This place is very social, and some people do eventually meet up, but it is not for networking in the sense that a place like FB is. FB was designed for real people (i.e. using real names) to promote themselves to other real people who are as apt to meet or to have known one another outside the internet.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #45
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Both places may end up with a bunch of people talking to each other via their keyboards, but the reasons they got there are probably different. I suspect most people are on Facebook either because people they know are, or to find people they already know. And I suspect most people are here because of an interest in ebooks and ereaders (there are, of course, exceptions ). And that intent makes both feel remarkably different for me
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote