Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #31
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Build number should change if firmware updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Y View Post
Ok, so there definitely has to have been an update to the 3.0.3 software that was sent out, or something to that effect, because both of ours couldn't have just magically fixed themselves on the same day.

I might try uploading my books from my archive to really test it out.
The Build Number should change if 3.0.3 was updated. My firmware is 3.0.3 (536720111). If the Build Numer (the last 3 digits) change, then your 3.0.3 was updated.

I also called CS yesterday and reached India Tech Support. They took my information and told me that the American Kindle Development Team would take my log via my WiFi and possibly run diagnostics on my unit. Then they would contact me and change my firmware or unit.

So far my Build Number is the same and no one has called me.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #32
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
For what it is worth.....
My Kindle 1 is now behaving. I put in a new battery.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #33
Rob Y
Rob Y doesn't litterRob Y doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Build Number should change if 3.0.3 was updated. My firmware is 3.0.3 (536720111). If the Build Numer (the last 3 digits) change, then your 3.0.3 was updated.

I also called CS yesterday and reached India Tech Support. They took my information and told me that the American Kindle Development Team would take my log via my WiFi and possibly run diagnostics on my unit. Then they would contact me and change my firmware or unit.

So far my Build Number is the same and no one has called me.
I didn't take the original Build Number down so I couldn't confirm if that changed.

I did, however, just receive a phone call from CS and they updated my software to 3.0.4 and will be monitoring my device. Hopefully the update fixed the problem and won't break the nice non-rebooting streak that I've had.
Rob Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #34
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Ahem: software 3.0.4is out? Please tell us about it. thanks.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #35
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Verify 3.0.4 please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Y View Post
I didn't take the original Build Number down so I couldn't confirm if that changed.

I did, however, just receive a phone call from CS and they updated my software to 3.0.4 and will be monitoring my device. Hopefully the update fixed the problem and won't break the nice non-rebooting streak that I've had.
Press Menu. Go to Settings and look at the bottom of your screen. Then copy down your version and build number and please post it here. CS was reviewing my unit for a possible firmware change or unit change and so far I have not heard from them. My firmware still shows: 3.0.3 (536720111)
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #36
Rob Y
Rob Y doesn't litterRob Y doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Ahem: software 3.0.4is out? Please tell us about it. thanks.
I don't see any real noticeable changes, possibly the only update was the rebooting fix. If I do end up seeing some changes I'll post it in your 3.0.4 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Press Menu. Go to Settings and look at the bottom of your screen. Then copy down your version and build number and please post it here. CS was reviewing my unit for a possible firmware change or unit change and so far I have not heard from them. My firmware still shows: 3.0.3 (536720111)
3.0.4 (547000113)
Rob Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 AM   #37
egg
egg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
My first Kindle would freeze after sometime in sleep mode, and would need a hard reset. Now my replacement has this random reboot problem. This just SUCKS!!! Especially as I love the device itself.

As with this other thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97499) the problem seems to occur when I'm travelling - ie, after reading on the tube, when i get home - its rebooted. But when its sat at home overnight - no problem.

So... i guess i need to go through the replacement process again........

Last edited by egg; 11-25-2010 at 04:04 AM.
egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #38
egg
egg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phineas View Post
I can't say how I got this confirmed, but I did: Amazon *does* replace defective Kindles from re-certified returned stock (as most electronics companies do). My advice: If you've been through multiple replacement Kindle 3s, as I have, don't get another replacement. Return the one you have for a refund. Ask for a "full refund" if you're over 30 days.

Then, order a new one once you have your refund. That's the surest way to break out of this cycle. There are plenty of people out there who have Kindle 3s that work just fine. While I hope it's a software problem, many of us have "wiped" (reset to original) the physical memory and started over. And still had the problems. That's an indication that it's either something about your digital content or it's the hardware. Like others, I eliminated the digital content from the equation and still experienced problems. You always suspect software first, but once you've eliminated software from the equation, it's got to be hardware.

Hope this helps. My refund came through and I just placed a new order for a Kindle Wi-Fi. If anyone's interested I'll return and post my experience on the new order.
so, after rebooting 3 times today - i've called CS and asked for a full refund.

so sad, as i love the k3....

not sure what to do now.... guess i will order a new one once I get my credit back.....
egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #39
phineas
phineas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle 2 and iPad
Testing with my fourth Kindle 3, purchased brand new, confirms what some others have suggested based on their experiences. After five days of flawless operation with the new Kindle 3, I decided to put my Amazon Kindle case on. I have this one (without the light):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ163E

Within two hours of putting on the case, my unit froze in sleep mode and required a 15-second reboot. I immediately took the case off and it's been fine ever since.

What's more, when I peer into the slots for the metal anchors designed to hold the Kindle 3 to the case, the top slot clearly shows metal of some sort within striking distance of the long and pointy metal connector. The tip of the metal connector shows wear on the paint. It's only about six weeks old! Peering into the bottom slot, I also see what appears to be circuitry, though it's less certain that contact is being made there because the shape of the anchor is different.

I believe that either the case may not have been designed or manufactured properly or possibly the location of circuitry in some Kindle 3s is closer to the hinge than spec. The anchor point may be causing a short in the system. While clearly there was an issue with firmware 3.0.0, it seems that my problems (at least) with 3.0.1 and beyond on four different Kindle 3s are related to the Amazon-supplied case.

I wonder whether grinding down the pointy tip of the upper anchor point on the case might solve the problem. That length isn't needed for the case to function as far as I can tell. The $35 case (plus shipping) is worthless to me as is, so it'd be no great loss to try it.

Last edited by phineas; 11-25-2010 at 07:51 PM.
phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #40
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Interesting post, phineas.

I went for 9-10 days rebootless, but then it rebooted twice in the last two days.

YMMV, but this is not annoying enough to me to take off, or fiddle with, the case, much less return the unit. I need that case, as I am often throwing the Kindle into my backpack when, during my transit commute, switching between the reader and old-fashioned library books. (Just finished a fabulous new medical history, The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee. Sorry Scribner, but no way I am paying $15 for a Kindle edition.)

If you are right about the case, I find it extraordinary that after they had a problem with the case of the last Kindle edition, Lab126 couldn't get something so simple correct. But since the reboots come and go, it's possible that the no case-no reboot correlation is a coincidence. How about reporting back in this thread a few weeks from now as to whether the you are still reboot-free?
]
My biggest Kindle annoyance is not the reboots, but the lack of font size stickyness in the browser.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #41
MycroftMW
MycroftMW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi all. I ordered my K3 wifi last Wednesday and got it on black friday. It is a black friday to me for it rebooted only 2 hrs after I got it. It's getting worse and worse. And today it happened at least 8 times!! I have updated it to 3.0.3 just few minutes ago an anything is good so far. Just hope it won't happen again.
PS: I'M using that cover and i'll remove it to have a try if it reboots again.

Any suggestions? Also, I'm wondering why my kindle was in 3.0.2 for 3.0.3 came out before I order it.
MycroftMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
MycroftMW

OK, it rebooted again. just 15 min after updating. I'll call CS.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #43
MycroftMW

Just called CS, an India answered my phone. He wanted me to do the replacement but I insisted to know what's wrong with my Kindle. So he asked me to take the cover off and will call me back on Friday. So just hope it is the cover's problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #44
phineas
phineas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle 2 and iPad
You might want to check out this thread on Amazon's discussions ...

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...ype=tagsDetail
phineas is offline   Reply With Quote