Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #31
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Daffy, thinking of the "Women of the Otherworld" series, starting with Bitten. I myself started with the third, Dime Store Magic, and only recently caught up with the earlier ones without feeling lost. The series moves between a few different characters, the third focusing more on a witch than the werewolves of the first two, later on a half-demon and a necromancer.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #32
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Thanks, I'll go look for it.

If it's snarky, let me know and I'll read it. Thanks!

??

Stacia Kane – Downside Ghosts – not really snarky but wonderfully dark and very well written.

Blood Bank – Graphic Violence, probably a little Darker than the Dresden File and very snarky. It’s hard not to be, my POV character is technically evil and periodically gets fried by holy objects but no one’s perfect.

Queen Betsy is supposed to be snarky as well but it is very light.
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #33
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I do have minor issues with James Marsters as a reader. Somebody needs to tell him now to pronounce "chitinous."
I twitched every time he said that. As if bug-monsters weren't horrifying enough!
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Daffy, thinking of the "Women of the Otherworld" series, starting with Bitten. I myself started with the third, Dime Store Magic, and only recently caught up with the earlier ones without feeling lost. The series moves between a few different characters, the third focusing more on a witch than the werewolves of the first two, later on a half-demon and a necromancer.
I've added the series to my FictFact profile. Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #35
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.Bond View Post
??

Stacia Kane – Downside Ghosts – not really snarky but wonderfully dark and very well written.

Blood Bank – Graphic Violence, probably a little Darker than the Dresden File and very snarky. It’s hard not to be, my POV character is technically evil and periodically gets fried by holy objects but no one’s perfect.

Queen Betsy is supposed to be snarky as well but it is very light.
The Blood Bank suggestion might be closer to what I'm looking for.

I've read the Queen Betsy series. Loved her at first but now she's starting to grate on me a bit but the last book had a big turn, so I'm going to hang in a while longer to see where it goes.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Actually, there are quite a few out there available in an ebook format. I'm not so sure about an audio book format.

Lord Darcy - one of the early _magic in the modern world_ books. Think Sherlock Holmes, the magician. It's available from Baen books.

Mike Resnick's Stalking the Unicorn - as well as the sequels. This one is available as an audio book and as an ebook. More of a Humphrey Bogart meets the fay type book.

Mercedes Lackey has a number of books more or less in this style. I really liked her Diane Tregarde books, though they don't seem to be available in ebook. Her Bedlam Bard series is also quite good.

There are a number of series that have modern world meets the fantasy worlds, that were popular back in the 70's and 80's, but most are not available as ebooks. Brian Dailey's Doomfarer's books (think Vietnam solder transported to fantasy world), Roger Zelazny's Amber series definitely fits the bill. I just hope that these books will eventually make it to a legit ebook store (yes, all of these are available on the darknet).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks pwalker8. The Lord Darcy series sounds interesting. I haven't taken advantage of all Baen has to offer because I'm not that into reading SciFi (though I'm working my way through the Honor Harrington series). It seems I need to give them another look.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
And Jim Butcher kept referring to the giant scorpion as an insect. Grrrrr. (But other than that I enjoyed it!)
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #39
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I don't know how I skipped over this post. Sorry.

The first books I read involving Faerie were Laurell K Hamilton's Mary Gentry series (which I am also over just like Anita). I didn't realize there was a standard lore similar to vampires and werewolves. The Dresden files had some similar Faerie characters and now you're introducing me to more. It's interesting to see the various flavors of the lore.

I will check this series out. Thanks!

Oh, the October Daye books are completely different from the Merry Gentry books... There's actually a plot for example (ok, so the MG books may have a plot, but there's so much smut in there that it's hard to tell)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #40
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
A couple other possibles - although I don't think there's anything quite like Butcher - are Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series and Mark Del Franko's Convergent World series.

There was another series that had some promise, based on the description, and you might find it more enjoyable than I did - it's Anton Strout's. It read to me more like a comic book, or super hero or something, I just didn't click with it like I did with Harry Dresden! But YMMV.

I've read that Ilona Andrew's series (either, as far as I know) have a good bit of humor, but they're still on my TBR pile, so I can't say for certain.

Another twist (with a bit of romance, if that's not on your no-no list) that I really liked is Laura Ann Gilman's Retrievers series. Or maybe C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers or Negotiator trilogy.

One that's (to me) a lot darker is Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series. And one I've only had time to read the first one is Thomas Sniegoski's Remy Chandler series.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #41
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Oh, the October Daye books are completely different from the Merry Gentry books... There's actually a plot for example (ok, so the MG books may have a plot, but there's so much smut in there that it's hard to tell)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
A couple other possibles - although I don't think there's anything quite like Butcher - are Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series and Mark Del Franko's Convergent World series.

There was another series that had some promise, based on the description, and you might find it more enjoyable than I did - it's Anton Strout's. It read to me more like a comic book, or super hero or something, I just didn't click with it like I did with Harry Dresden! But YMMV.

I've read that Ilona Andrew's series (either, as far as I know) have a good bit of humor, but they're still on my TBR pile, so I can't say for certain.

Another twist (with a bit of romance, if that's not on your no-no list) that I really liked is Laura Ann Gilman's Retrievers series. Or maybe C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers or Negotiator trilogy.

One that's (to me) a lot darker is Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series. And one I've only had time to read the first one is Thomas Sniegoski's Remy Chandler series.
Wow, that's a lot of possibilities I'll go search Amazon to see what's what. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #43
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Poor Daffy. Are you kindles full yet?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Poor Daffy. Are you kindles full yet?
Almost. Holidays are coming, I don't watch football and I hate shopping in the malls (especially over the holidays). I will have plenty to keep me entertained thanks to the suggestions in this thread.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #45
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
I've read and love most of what's already been mentioned. I've also liked...

By Mark Del Franco
Connor Grey
1. Unshapely Things (2007)
2. Unquiet Dreams (2008)
3. Unfallen Dead (2009)
4. Unperfect Souls (2010)
5. Uncertain Allies (2011)

By John Levitt
Dog Days
1. Dog Days (2007)
2. New Tricks (2008)
3. Unleashed (2009)
4. Play Dead (2011)

By Rob Thurman
Cal and Niko Leandros
1. Nightlife (2006)
2. Moonshine (2007)
3. Madhouse (2008)
4. Deathwish (2009)
5. Roadkill (2010)
6. Blackout (2011)

The Mike Carey "Felix Castor" was a good series, along with the Simon Green ones.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote