Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #391
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Great post Sun Surfer!

I agree with the post, however, I'm curious about Geo-restrictions. I've heard this mentioned quite a few times, and am interested in how that works. Does it mean that the book is not available in any form, or that the book is not available as an e-book?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #392
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm curious about Geo-restrictions. I've heard this mentioned quite a few times, and am interested in how that works. Does it mean that the book is not available in any form, or that the book is not available as an e-book?
The only times I have come across georestrictions it's been for eBooks. Paper books I haven't had any difficulties getting to/from all over the world. Sp far... (I don't know if georestrictions possibly may be a growing issue.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #393
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well just about done. I was not that happy when Anna Karenina was selected as a would have preferred to read a book that I had never before read. Still it has been a good read, and I can't see that I could have meaningfully participated in the coming discussion without reading it freshly.

I agree that the book selection should not be based on price alone, or even price as a major consideration. Still people will vote how they will vote, whether they are vocal about their reasons or not.

I have always assumed in books I have attempted to nominate that the book being available as an ebook would be an absolute requirement. I don't agree with this as there are so many great books that just are not available in ebook format. I guess I just figured if not in ebook then there is no way it would be selected through the voting process on this board.

I see no reason about getting hung up over an particular translation. The differences are normally around the edges.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #394
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Did not see this thread soon enough will join next month. Never read Tolstoy before although I might.

You do know that all of the clasics are free from Amazon?

How are the candidates for the poll decided? I would immagine that since Anna Karenina wone out this time around she would drop out and a new title added and all of the reamining books would continue into June's poll.

Last edited by jbcohen; 05-12-2011 at 08:17 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #395
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Did not see this thread soon enough will join next month. Never read Tolstoy before although I might.

You do know that all of the clasics are free from Amazon?

How are the candidates for the poll decided? I would immagine that since Anna Karenina wone out this time around she would drop out and a new title added and all of the reamining books would continue into June's poll.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=Club
There is a different category every month.

Nominations begin on the 20th of the previous month.

A vote takes place on the first 10 nominations.

Jon always has some objections.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #396
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My understanding of geo-restrictions is that they ocurr for two reasons and neither are good reasons: first, the electronic book store wants to create sub-stores in individual nations and does not have one in the customer's country; and two some governments strictly sensor what books are available to its citizens, most noteably China, Iran and Pakistan. Geo-restrictions are used by a book store to comply with the local governments sensorship rules.

Last edited by jbcohen; 05-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #397
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My understanding of geo-restrictions is that they ocurr for two reasons and neither are good reasons: first, the electronic book store wants to create sub-stores in individual nations and does not have one in the customer's country; and two some governments strictly sensor what books are available to its citizens, most noteably China, Iran and Pakistan. Geo-restrictions are used by a book store to comply with the local governments sensorship rules.
Geo restrictions occur in general because authors/agents sell print rights to publishers in various regions and ebook rights are almost always a requirement when a publisher acquires print rights. For print books there is seldom a problem buying the book from a shop in a given country and them shipping it to you, but for ebooks the point of sale is considered your computer and not the shops location so if you aren't in the country where a given publisher has rights they can't/wont sell to you.

Some publishers, such as Baen, acquire non-exclusive worldwide rights for ebooks and thus sell everywhere, but that's rare except for small/niche publishers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #398
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
GA Russell is getting folks together to read 'Riders of the Purple Sage' as another selection if anyone's interested...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132918
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #399
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
GA Russell is getting folks together to read 'Riders of the Purple Sage' as another selection if anyone's interested...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132918
Oooh yes. Sign me up! *or I could do it myself, I suppose*
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #400
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I plan to read Purple Sage, but am struggling with AK right now. I couldn't concentrate for the last 2 wks, only getting back to it in the last few days. I'm loving it, but have fallen very far behind. Still in Book 1.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #401
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I plan to read Purple Sage, but am struggling with AK right now. I couldn't concentrate for the last 2 wks, only getting back to it in the last few days. I'm loving it, but have fallen very far behind. Still in Book 1.
Not surprised you are struggling to make time, given recent events. And even worse, it's Anna Karenina you are trying to slog through.... I gave up a week ago.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #402
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just started Book III, but I haven't had any tornadoes to contend with.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #403
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm halfway through Book 2 and enjoying it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #404
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It is very needed escapism for me right now. The lush descriptions of ballgowns and courtsip usually try my patience, but I'm finding it slow and calming. It is helping me sleep. But yesterday was particularly difficult. It is the last time I will see it before they bulldoze my home. I had nightmares all night long. I dreamt that I was trying to sweep all of the glass out of my pretty yellow sunroom, but people kept coming in the crooked front door and beating and raping me. I woke up again and again, but would do the same dream all over again.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #405
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Let me just say about some of the discussion here...

Too many rules makes Bob a dull boy.

I run this "club" for fun. Once it isn't fun anymore I'm done. I've gotten very close the past few months with all the bitching. But, I decided to ignore it and move on.

If you want rules and structure join the military... if not, hang out here and read the selected book or not, for whatever reason you have.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote