Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #346
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Why do people do this??!!! Either wear the mask or don't, but halfway on just makes no sense.
I no longer worry about it. At least if they breathe out, their breathe droplets are contained. They are essentially protecting you, but not themselves. So be it.

I got my 2nd booster on Friday. Still had side effects, but less than previous Covid shots. Aches and headache, but no fever this time. Aches went away on Saturday, but had headache through most of yesterday. Nothing today.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:10 AM   #347
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I no longer worry about it. At least if they breathe out, their breathe droplets are contained. They are essentially protecting you, but not themselves. So be it.
Except that COVID-19 is spread via aerosol, not droplet.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #348
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The nose holes are connected to the lungs, and COVID is airborne.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:36 AM   #349
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:

I got my 2nd booster on Friday. Still had side effects, but less than previous Covid shots. Aches and headache, but no fever this time. Aches went away on Saturday, but had headache through most of yesterday. Nothing today.
They are protecting nobody
Gardenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:35 PM   #350
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The vast majority of masks I see being used out in public are cloth. Which have pretty much been ruled out as being effective in any way to protect against any of the variations of Covid. Combine that with people not wearing the masks correctly, not washing them often, masks made out of loose weave fabrics, it seems wasted effort.

I can't remember seeing N95 masks in the wild more than a few times. I've also read that 60% of the KN95 masks are counterfeit. (From a notice from Cleveland Clinic, so I assume they are talking about the US)

When I was sewing cloth masks for local medical locations early in 2020, I was making the type with a slot/opening for disposable filter inserts. Since I didn't have direct contact with those medical facilities, I don't know anything about the filters they were using. I made them, and passed them off to the lady heading up the local sewing drive.

We didn't get boosters since we both got Covid in January. Several of the people we know who got boosters got very sick after. We also know many folks who have had all the shots available who still got sick, some more than once. Seems to working out to be very much like the yearly flu. Still wish they hadn't called called the shots "vaccines." Because they sure don't work the way a true vaccine does.

We won't wear masks anymore. If a store demands them, we won't shop there. The only time we will wear one is if for some reason we are in a medical office/clinic.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 05-31-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #351
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A fun long-term effect of COVID I've discovered: Hair loss. More specifically, telogen effluvium, which can be caused by any major stress (including COVID-19). Every time I brush, my hair comes out.

The good news is that it should grow back. Hopefully.
I heard about this from an acquaintance who got Covid despite being vaccinated - she said she lost a lot of hair and it was taking a long time to come back in. I hope yours grows back quickly!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #352
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This morning I received a message from the Commonwealth (federal) Department of Health telling me I'm due for my fourth dose - they're call Winter Booster doses here.

Last Wednesday I had a fourth dose from my GP, and on Friday I printed a new Covid Vaccination Certificate from Commonwealth (federal) Department of Health website that shows that.

Clearly, the AIR (Australian Immunisation Register) has a hole in it

We're having a significant and very early flu season - it took a holiday for two years.

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-02-2022 at 07:32 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:18 AM   #353
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Last Wednesday I had a fourth dose from my GP, and on Friday I printed a new Covid Vaccination Certificate from Commonwealth (federal) Department of Health website that shows that..
I got my fifth dose (winter booster) yesterday. It was loaded into my Medicare immunisation history before I got home. Slick.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:22 AM   #354
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Friend of mine just had his fourth jab,and he is a year older than me,so I expect to be contacted soon regarding my own
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:42 PM   #355
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I got my fifth dose (winter booster) yesterday. It was loaded into my Medicare immunisation history before I got home. Slick.
My understanding of AIR is that updates from GPs etc are direct. My GP gave me a tetanus shot a few weeks ago (impaled my leg on a stick), it was on my AIR record when I checked a day or two later.

The AU east coast media is getting its knickers in a twist about a few Monkeypox cases, but ignoring the rising incidence of Omicron BA4 and BA5, which are said to be better at dodging antibodies which leads to more 'breakthrough' cases of Covid-19.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #356
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
https://apnews.com/article/covid-sci...44f779f7719c18

Moderna’s experimental COVID-19 vaccine that combines its original shot with protection against the omicron variant appears to work, the company announced Wednesday.

COVID-19 vaccine makers are studying updated boosters that might be offered in the fall to better protect people against future coronavirus surges.

Moderna’s preliminary study results show people given the combination shot experienced a higher boost in omicron-fighting antibodies than if they just got a fourth dose of the original vaccine.

“We believe strongly that this data supports an update of the vaccine,” Dr. Stephen Hoge, Moderna’s president, said Wednesday.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:36 PM   #357
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I got my 2nd booster (4th Moderna shot) on May 29th. On Tuesday this week my throat was sore, so I went for my first-ever Covid test. The rapid test was negative, but the PCR result the next day was positive. So I have it. For me, it is like a very bad cold plus allergies. I have a lot of congestion in my sore throat and it's very hard to sleep at night because I'm lying down. My sinuses are dripping into my throat and then just as I get comfortable, I have to blow my nose. I've had two bad nights so far. I also have bad sinus headaches.

This was my first cold since January of 2019.

I had Paxlovid delivered today and took the first dose this afternoon.

I would not wish this on anyone.

The alert level is still high in New York, even though it is past the peak. I wear my mask, but almost no one is wearing them in large stores Whole Foods and Target. No wonder it was easier for me to get now than it was in 2020 when everyone here wore masks.

Of course I have stayed home since I got the positive result.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:57 AM   #358
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I seemed to have killed this thread with my most recent post when I tested positive.

I was feeling much better on day 4. I figured the cold and covid had cycled through, but it was probably due to taking Paxlovid. I started taking walks outside on Monday (day 7) and on Wednesday I had a sore throat and congestion. Saturday the throat got sore again. I don't know what this means. There was a time when I got a very bad cold once a year and had trouble shaking it (probably from sinus infections then). I don't know what this is.

A nurse from the NYC Department of Health called me on day 3 to see if I had any questions or if I needed a document for an employer. I'm retired. i asked when I could test again after I feel well and they told me not to test, as I could test positive for up to 3 months afterwards. That information is also on their web site, but I haven't seen it anywhere else. It's very hard to find information online about recurring colds during covid experience. Almost everything I find is advice for people who haven't yet had it and much of it dates back to 2020.

New York City just announced it is in medium alert (had been high for a few months). Broadway theaters will have the option to not require masks for people in the audience. To me, that means that almost no one will wear them, just as hardly anyone wears them in stores or anywhere else where they are not required.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:44 PM   #359
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Nova Scotia (and other provinces, from what I can tell) is throwing out unused doses of vaccine rather than boosting younger people. There seems to be no indication that they're ever planning to boost us either.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:20 PM   #360
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My wife just got the text for her 4th shot. 6 months to the day from when she got the 3rd shot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote