Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #346
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
If anyone is interested, regarding the translations-
<snip>
Anyway, though I'm not sure if anyone else will care that much about which translation they read, since I already did the research for myself, I thought I should post it. If anyone hasn't gotten their copy yet and was wondering about translation options, I hope this helps!
It does and is appreciated that you shared it. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks! I was going to read the Maude, but you've convinced me to stick with Garnett--and I've already got hers loaded up on my devices, anyway. The name bit would have bugged me, too.
I have already started the Garnett one.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #347
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Anyway, though I'm not sure if anyone else will care that much about which translation they read, since I already did the research for myself, I thought I should post it. If anyone hasn't gotten their copy yet and was wondering about translation options, I hope this helps!
Thanks for the info. In your searches did you run across any ebooks that used the Garnett translation revised by Leonard J. Kent and Nina Berberova? (as opposed to the original Garnett translation) I haven't found any (just print and audio), but thought I'd see if you ran across any.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #348
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In your searches did you run across any ebooks that used the Garnett translation revised by Leonard J. Kent and Nina Berberova?
My friend's Overdrive library has it (short waiting list though) so I guess other libraries might as well.
ISBN: 9780553902297

Edit:
Available at B&N for 4.99 (Nook book)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ann.../9780553902297
Borders 5.99
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=0553902296

(Googled the ISBN, more results, just picked these two)

Last edited by Asawi; 05-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #349
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Great info. Thanks. Karma to you!

I think I'll read the Maude translation (if I read it). I can afford the $3 I think it costs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #350
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i was at my chapters just browsing books, actually hung out for a good 1 1/2 hours just looking at books on shelves, seeing books i've read and books i want to read and i come across the classics section. i look for it and find it and when i pick it up i say holy crap. yup i found anna karenina lol. i flipped through it and realized instantly how nice it is to have jumped aboard the e-reader wagon by not having to carry a book of that size around anymore.

question, off topic probably but this vote is done anyway.

books that are public domain now (in canada at least) how come they charge for pbooks, can these pbooks be free as well or does the pd only allow for ebooks in this case. i ask because of the classics section at chapters that i saw and as i was browsing i came across a few versions of 1984 and wondered about that?
thanks for any responses.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #351
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
books that are public domain now (in canada at least) how come they charge for pbooks...
The text is public domain, the paper and ink are not.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #352
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The text is public domain, the paper and ink are not.
Right... what he said...as well as the layout, editing, distribution, etc.

You wonder though, why do PD books cost the same as contemporary books seeing as there is no author to pay.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #353
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Right... what he said...as well as the layout, editing, distribution, etc.

You wonder though, why do PD books cost the same as contemporary books seeing as there is no author to pay.

BOb
Bob, I remember maybe three years ago that Walmart had a big box/bin of PD paperbacks printed specially for them (with the word Walmart printed in big letters on the cover) with a price (also printed on the cover) of 99 cents.

I picked up Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #354
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
My friend's Overdrive library has it (short waiting list though) so I guess other libraries might as well.
ISBN: 9780553902297

Edit:
Available at B&N for 4.99 (Nook book)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ann.../9780553902297
Borders 5.99
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=0553902296

(Googled the ISBN, more results, just picked these two)
Thanks, I should have mentioned that one. I found that in my searches, but despite what the descriptions say it's actually a translation by Joel Carmichael not the revised Garnett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Great info. Thanks. Karma to you!

I think I'll read the Maude translation (if I read it). I can afford the $3 I think it costs.

BOb
This Maude version (from CCV Digital a division of Random House) seems better formatted to me than the one posted above (the one above has like one letter space as an indent for each paragraph which I personally dislike) and it's only $1.79...
http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-...4348056&sr=8-6

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #355
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I purchased the Maude edition a few of nights ago. It looks great.
One problem: I've come to realize that I really don't feel like reading Anna right now. Come to think of it, I really haven't read much in about 2 weeks. I think I'm in a bit of a slump.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #356
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I purchased the Maude edition a few of nights ago. It looks great.
One problem: I've come to realize that I really don't feel like reading Anna right now.
Same here. In fact, I started it, read a few pages, then moved on to Riders of the Purple Sage. Not sure I'm going to be able to rebuild enough enthusiasm to return...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #357
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm curious, how many people who voted for Anna are actually going to be able to read it fully by the 20th?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #358
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Same here. In fact, I started it, read a few pages, then moved on to Riders of the Purple Sage.
OK, you talked me into it. I'm in the middle of three books right now, and when I am finished one I will start Purple Sage.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #359
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm curious, how many people who voted for Anna are actually going to be able to read it fully by the 20th?
Well, I certainly won't know until the 20th, but it's going well so far. I voted for it, and added my nomination to it as well. I'm about 8% through the Maude edition, mostly all of that done Friday. Work and life have been busy for a few days, I'll get back to it Wednesday probably.

For me it's much easier reading than Crime and Punishment, the last Russian novel I have for comparison.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #360
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
OK, you talked me into it. I'm in the middle of three books right now, and when I am finished one I will start Purple Sage.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote