Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-23-2016, 12:40 AM   #3301
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
A post that I made disappeared into cyberspace. I'm getting into the bad habit of viewing the preview, thinking that the post is saved and then navigating elsewhere.

I'm going largely on memory here, to try to reconstruct it.

Your Dec. 7 post (#1362?) showed the availability of A Christmas Carol narrated by Jim Dale, at Audiobooks.org. Apparently it is no longer on the website, because I searched thoroughly and could not find it.
See post 3127

A Christmas Carol -- Jim Dale
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:06 AM   #3302
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
A post that I made disappeared into cyberspace. I'm getting into the bad habit of viewing the preview, thinking that the post is saved and then navigating elsewhere.

I'm going largely on memory here, to try to reconstruct it.

Your Dec. 7 post (#1362?) showed the availability of A Christmas Carol narrated by Jim Dale, at Audiobooks.org. Apparently it is no longer on the website, because I searched thoroughly and could not find it.

However, I have found a free full audio download of ACC by Dale here. The only requirement is that you agree to receive (a) newsletter(s) for Books On Tape and Listening Library.

Jim Dale has narrated a lot of stuff, and from that it appears that he is a good one. But, I didn't listen to any sample.

You can't download it to your phone, you can only stream it that way. You can download it to your computer, however.

List price of the CD's is $30. I don't know if anyone has actually ever paid list price though.

The sign up webpage is the same webpage as I referenced earlier.
Thanks - will add to OP and ACC post

The BOT version (1 file) is easier to download than the Audiobooks.org version (6 files), but the BOT offer expires (31 Dec) and the Audiobooks.org offer doesn't.

Quote:
Books on Tape - Free Full Audiobook

Sign up for the BOT and Listening Library newsletters and receive the free full audiobook download of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, read by Jim Dale. A timeless story the whole family will enjoy.

Please note - if you're on a phone you can stream the audiobook but you can only download the file onto a computer.

*Offer expires 12/31/16
Advert
Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 AM   #3303
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks - will add to OP and ACC post

The BOT version (1 file) is easier to download than the Audiobooks.org version (6 files), but the BOT offer expires (31 Dec) and the Audiobooks.org offer doesn't.
It's probably a moot point. Who is going to want to download A Christmas Carol after December 31?

I am really frustrated right now. When I clicked on the Audiobooks.org link on #3162, I didn't get the webpage that I got just now. And, I had searched with their site's search function using several terms, and couldn't find it. On top of that, I did a specialized Google search of the website using various search terms.

I know that I'm not losing my mind, because that's already happened.

Thanks to your post, maybe it will help a few peeps have a simpler download experience, anyway.

I've got to use my time more efficiently than going on these wild goose chases.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #3304
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 23 Dec
  • Audible ---> $3.95 -- Bel Canto -- Ann Patchett --> contemp
  • BN Nook --> $4.99 -- Christmas Cheer * -- Jack Canfield, et al --> Christmas

* Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christmas Cheer: Stories about the Love, Inspiration, and Joy of Christmas
Old 12-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #3305
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- exp 23 Dec
Advert
Old 12-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #3306
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Free at Audible: Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

You can get this audiobook by the host of The Daily Show free from Audible by going to this link:

http://www.mysavings.com/free-stuff/Trevor-Noah/92333/

This worked for me this morning. I did sign up for their newsletter (using one of my throwaway email addresses), but I don't know if it's necessary. It appears that you can close the signup window and it will still give you the code and take you to Audible to complete the "purchase."
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #3307
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
You can get this audiobook by the host of The Daily Show free from Audible by going to this link:

http://www.mysavings.com/free-stuff/Trevor-Noah/92333/

This worked for me this morning. I did sign up for their newsletter (using one of my throwaway email addresses), but I don't know if it's necessary. It appears that you can close the signup window and it will still give you the code and take you to Audible to complete the "purchase."
Thanks for the reminder, but already posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylou13 View Post
Trevor Noah's new book: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood is free with the promo code ACRIME1. It expires on 1/31/2017

P.S: I can't seem to get it to work on the promo section, a workaround: I add the book on my cart and click on the promotional code. After that I remove the original version.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #3308
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- 12 Daily Deals of Christmas -- exp 24 Dec

Quote:
12 Daily Deals of Christmas is here! One irresistible deal per day and all for no more than 99p each. Keep coming back to check out the latest audiobook on offer and subscribe to the Daily Deal email to get them sent straight to your inbox every morning.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #3309
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
<snip>
$7.49 -- ChristianAudio -- The Twice-Yearly Sale (5,978 titles) --> details
Procrastinators rejoice!

The sale ends at midnight PST, so you've still got about 4 hours from now to take advantage of this sale.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-23-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #3310
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 24 Dec
Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #3311
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Audible -- exp 24 Dec
Old 12-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #3312
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Big Finish Sale -- exp 31 Dec @ 11:59 PM GMT

FREE -- Doctor Who: Flip Flop -- Jonathan Morris/ Sylvester McCoy & full cast --> 2.3 hrs

Quote:
Download Flip Flop completely free! Offer code: flipflop

Then join us for 12 days of Big Finishmas, with daily festive offers starting on December 25th!
Note: see - Big Finish for Free - for a listing of other free stories and episodes.

Quote:
FLIP-FLOP FOR FREE

This free download will be available until midnight December 31st 2016 (UK time)

Click on the "Free Download" to open or save the file immediately. Or click "Add to Basket" to place it in your account along with any other releases you purchase on the site.
Quote:
Doctor Who: Flip Flop

Christmas Eve in the year 3060, and the planet Puxatornee is home to a prosperous human colony. A space craft has arrived in orbit carrying the Slithergees, a race of obsequious alien slugs. Their home world has been destroyed and they are humbly requesting permission to settle on the first moon. And if they don't get permission, then they are humbly threatening to declare all-out war. The future hangs in the balance. The decision rests with Bailey, the colony' s president - but she has other things on her mind.

Christmas Eve in the year 3090, and the planet Puxatornee has changed beyond all recognition. The Doctor and Mel arrive, on a completely unrelated mission to defeat a race of terrible monsters, and soon discover that something rather confusing has been happening to history.

Flip-Flop is a unique innovation in storytelling. A Doctor Who adventure told over two CDs, one black, one white - where the CDs can be listened to in either order.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-24-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #3313
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour Sale -- exp 02 Jan

SALE -- Best Audiobooks Of 2016 (100 titles) --> 20%-50% off
Old 12-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #3314
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Enormous Bang for the Buck on Whispersync Deal on Biography of (Calvin) Coolidge.

The thing that stands out to me most about this Whispersync deal is its enormous bang for buck--over 21 hours of listening, plus the 1025-page ebook is thrown in. All for only $5.98!

The regular price for the audio alone at Audible is either $35.95 or $31.49. I'm not even going to do the calculation of the percentage in price difference--you know that it is enormous.

At the same time, I've got a concern or two that I want to share with you. The ratings at Amazon--4.3 stars--are a little lower than I like to see. Raters at GoodReads give it 3.82 (2231), which, while not terrible for them, is, again, a little lower than I like to see.

Most of the time I would brush that aside. However, IMHO, if you have an audiobook that's 21 hours long, you want it to be really, really interesting. I wonder how well that this audio fits the bill. I would say that unless you are very interested in politics and/or history, you might want to think very carefully about even spending $5.98 for the Whispersync deal.

We don't see abridgments much, but the audio of this book, at least, seems like it would be a good candidate for abridgment. I like history, but I don't like politics. So, since it's not an abridgment, I'm going to pass on it.

Just trying to be honest and forthright. I've always got your back.

Title: Coolidge.
Genre: Non-Fiction (History/United States).
Author(s): Amity Shlaes.
Price: $5.98 ($1.99 ebook (marked down) + $3.99 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $35.95 (1 credit), as given at Amazon; $31.49, as given at Audible.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.3 stars/466 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.2/346 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 1025/21 hours and 8 minutes.
Narrator(s): Terence Aselford.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoi...ok/B00B28T0SW/.
Amazon URL (you can get the whole Whispersync deal here): https://www.amazon.com/Coolidge-Amit.../dp/B006SJCM0I.
Comments: #1 seller in one Kindle store category; #1 seller in two regular Amazon book categories.
Book Description (Amazon):
Amity Shlaes, author of The Forgotten Man, delivers a brilliant and provocative reexamination of America’s thirtieth president, Calvin Coolidge, and the decade of unparalleled growth that the nation enjoyed under his leadership. In this riveting biography, Shlaes traces Coolidge’s improbable rise from a tiny town in New England to a youth so unpopular he was shut out of college fraternities at Amherst College up through Massachusetts politics. After a divisive period of government excess and corruption, Coolidge restored national trust in Washington and achieved what few other peacetime presidents have: He left office with a federal budget smaller than the one he inherited. A man of calm discipline, he lived by example, renting half of a two-family house for his entire political career rather than compromise his political work by taking on debt. Renowned as a throwback, Coolidge was in fact strikingly modern—an advocate of women’s suffrage and a radio pioneer. At once a revision of man and economics, Coolidge gestures to the country we once were and reminds us of qualities we had forgotten and can use today.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-24-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #3315
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- 12 Daily Deals of Christmas -- exp 25 Dec

Quote:
12 Daily Deals of Christmas is here! One irresistible deal per day and all for no more than 99p each. Keep coming back to check out the latest audiobook on offer and subscribe to the Daily Deal email to get them sent straight to your inbox every morning.