Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #3286
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Don't know if this is only going out to Prime members who own Fire's or to Prime members in general or everyone regardless of Prime membership, but if you get an email from Audible titled "Audible Channels - Listen now on Fire tablets" don't just automatically delete it (like I did). Open the email and scroll to the bottom as it has a link to click to get a free Audible credit.
Apparently it is sent in batches or at random- still no message at all here, despite having a Fire HD (and others), Prime and a subscription with credits.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #3287
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Daily Deals -- exp 21 Dec

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #3288
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audiobooks.com -- Subscription Sale -- limited time
  • $149.50 -- 12 Months -- 2 months free
  • $74.75 ----- 6 Months -- 1 month free
  • $40.37 ----- 3 Months -- save 10%
  • $14.95 ----- 1 Month
Quote:
Give a gift that will really speak to them, or treat yourself and save big by pre-paying for your own subscription.
Quote:
Gift/Pre-Paid Subscriptions Include:
  • 1 audiobook credit per month to spend on any of our 100,000+ titles
  • Ability to purchase additional audiobook credits at anytime
  • Exclusive member-only promotions
Note: not sure if this a sale or if I just never noticed multi-month plans before.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-21-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #3289
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Thank you for your remark.

I think that it is a good book on the apostle Paul. Books about him could be (and often are) very dry, but this one isn't. It keeps your interest.
I am deeply interested in the history and evolution of the Christian Faith so this book was right up my alley.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #3290
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Ebook on King Edward I and the Birth of Britain. Whispersync Deal $7.98.

Sometimes there is a battle that goes on in my head: "should I post this, or should I not; should I not, or should I?" That was the case with this Whispersync deal.

I was a little concerned about the ratings at Amazon, which are a little lower than I like to see--4.4 stars. However, I checked GoodReads, and after noticing that their raters give the book a 4.09 (1,675) (that's great for GoodReads, as their crowd tends to be less generous with their ratings than the reviewers at Amazon), my concerns about that were allayed.

It came down to the price of the Whispersync deal. Being as frugal as I am, I really hate to pay $7.98 for one (and it's mainly the audio that I'm interested in) and I'm genuinely embarassed to be posting one that expensive! But the audio alone at Audible is $32.95, so the Whispersync deal with audio + ebook + syncing is still 76% cheaper than the audio alone at Audible!

It's getting posted.

Title: A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain.
Genre: Non-Fiction (History/England).
Author(s): Marc Morris.
Price: $7.98 ($2.99 ebook (marked down) + $4.99 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $32.95 (1 credit).
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.4 stars/145 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.3/292 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 481/18 hours and 28 minutes.
Narrator(s): Ralph Lister.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_...ywords&x=0&y=0.
Amazon URL (you can get the whole Whispersync deal here): https://www.amazon.com/Great-Terribl.../dp/B00LADUO9I.
Comments: Best Seller in three categories in the Kindle Store.
Book Description (Amazon):
The first major biography of a truly formidable king, whose reign was one of the most dramatic and important of the entire Middle Ages, leading to war and conquest on an unprecedented scale.

Edward I is familiar to millions as "Longshanks," conqueror of Scotland and nemesis of Sir William Wallace (in "Braveheart"). Yet this story forms only the final chapter of the king's action-packed life. Earlier, Edward had defeated and killed the famous Simon de Montfort in battle; travelled to the Holy Land; conquered Wales, extinguishing forever its native rulers and constructing a magnificent chain of castles. He raised the greatest armies of the Middle Ages and summoned the largest parliaments; notoriously, he expelled all the Jews from his kingdom.The longest-lived of England's medieval kings, he fathered fifteen children with his first wife, Eleanor of Castile, and, after her death, he erected the Eleanor Crosses—the grandest funeral monuments ever fashioned for an English monarch.

In this book, Marc Morris examines afresh the forces that drove Edward throughout his relentless career: his character, his Christian faith, and his sense of England's destiny—a sense shaped in particular by the tales of the legendary King Arthur. He also explores the competing reasons that led Edward's opponents (including Robert Bruce) to resist him.

The result is a sweeping story, immaculately researched yet compellingly told, and a vivid picture of medieval Britain at the moment when its future was decided.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #3291
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
I cannot verify the accuracy of this offer, but it comes via a reputable source so I think it's good. If you have or would like to install the Chick-Fil-A app (iOS / Android) you can get the Audible Studios Tim Curry edition of "A Christmas Carol." There is a gift icon somewhere on the main screen. Most everyone here probably already has this version but there might be 1 or 2 of you out there who still might want it.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #3292
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- 12 Daily Deals of Christmas -- exp 22 Dec

Quote:
12 Daily Deals of Christmas is here! One irresistible deal per day and all for no more than 99p each. Keep coming back to check out the latest audiobook on offer and subscribe to the Daily Deal email to get them sent straight to your inbox every morning.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #3293
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I cannot verify the accuracy of this offer, but it comes via a reputable source so I think it's good. If you have or would like to install the Chick-Fil-A app (iOS / Android) you can get the Audible Studios Tim Curry edition of "A Christmas Carol." There is a gift icon somewhere on the main screen. Most everyone here probably already has this version but there might be 1 or 2 of you out there who still might want it.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
Thanks - will add to OP

I downloaded the app to see what it involved to get the book. I skipped the first join nag. The offer was below the second join nag. I clicked it without joining and it took me to Audible. I signed in and the book was automatically placed in my library (even though I already had this version from 4 years ago). I then uninstalled the Chick-fil-A app.

Quote:
Chick-fil-A One Members, we have an early Christmas present for you! Redeem your free copy of “A Christmas Carol” Audible audiobook through your Chick-fil-A One app by 12/31.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-18-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #3294
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thanks GtrsRGr8. If you want the audiobook for another by the same author, you can get it for the price of an audible credit. The ebook is $9.99 then the audiobook is $4.99 (whispersync).

The Norman Conquest: The Battle of Hastings and the Fall of Anglo-Saxon England
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #3295
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Thanks GtrsRGr8. If you want the audiobook for another by the same author, you can get it for the price of an audible credit. The ebook is $9.99 then the audiobook is $4.99 (whispersync).

The Norman Conquest: The Battle of Hastings and the Fall of Anglo-Saxon England
Thanks. I have no credits, and don't get them with the plan that I have, however.

I'm going to have to wait on the King Edward audio, also. Might check my public libraries. But I have a huge backlog of things that I already own that I want to listen to, so it won't hurt me to have to wait until later to pick it up.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #3296
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 22 Dec
Old 12-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #3297
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thanks goes to Tarana & GtrsRGr8 for the two Medieval England books. Two more books to my mammoth pile.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #3298
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Daily Deals -- exp 22 Dec

Audible ---> $2.95 -- The Anatomy of Peace -- Arbinger Institute --> relationships
This is the "expanded [2nd] edition," for the benefit of those who already have the original ebook or audiobook.

Get a sample chapter of the book at www.arbinger.com/anatomyofpeace. "Why would I need a sample chapter, when I can get a preview at Amazon?," you ask. In case you want to see more than Amazon shows you in their preview, which previews are shorter for shorter books. At the above webpage, look for (well, you can't miss it, really) the bright red box on your first screen, near the bottom righthand corner.

These things are not my cup of tea, but you can get "free access to The Anatomy Of Peace Discussion & Study Guide, companion videos, and other complimentary bonus materials," by visiting http://arbinger.com/aop.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #3299
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- 12 Daily Deals of Christmas -- exp 23 Dec

Quote:
12 Daily Deals of Christmas is here! One irresistible deal per day and all for no more than 99p each. Keep coming back to check out the latest audiobook on offer and subscribe to the Daily Deal email to get them sent straight to your inbox every morning.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #3300
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

A post that I made disappeared into cyberspace. I'm getting into the bad habit of viewing the preview, thinking that the post is saved and then navigating elsewhere.

I'm going largely on memory here, to try to reconstruct it.

Your Dec. 7 post (#1362?) showed the availability of A Christmas Carol narrated by Jim Dale, at Audiobooks.org. Apparently it is no longer on the website, because I searched thoroughly and could not find it.

However, I have found a free full audio download of ACC by Dale here. The only requirement is that you agree to receive (a) newsletter(s) for Books On Tape and Listening Library.

Jim Dale has narrated a lot of stuff, and from that it appears that he is a good one. But, I didn't listen to any sample.

You can't download it to your phone, you can only stream it that way. You can download it to your computer, however.

List price of the CD's is $30. I don't know if anyone has actually ever paid list price though.

The sign up webpage is the same webpage as I referenced earlier.