Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #301
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Android started using MTP in 2011. Since then ADE 2.x, 3.x and 4.x were released by Abobe. Surely MTP support could have been added by now?
And still, no ereader used an Android that used MTP.
Which is basically because B&N didn't update the Nook.

When I said "no device", I didn't secretly mean "no Android OS". I meant ereaders.

Why add support for something that doesn't exist?
And isn't assumed to someday exist? -- At least, wait until it exists before devoting resources to supporting it.

Quote:
Looking at B&N's website and software do you really want them to write their own custom firmware
Now, I was wondering about that myself, but I eventually decided it is better for B&N to lay all their cards down at once. Rather than baiting us with illusions of competency in their hardware and proof of inadequacy in their website.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #302
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by howarddcb View Post
I have the same problem with the Glowlight Plus; it seems that the only library books you can read are the ones you load right after you authorize the Adobe ID on the Nook.

I assume the problem lies with the Barnes & Nobles software; I called them to report the issue a few days ago. I also have the Nook Glowlight; I used ADE to load the same files on it, and the books were fine.
Well, it worked for a few days, but now I am having the same issues. I am using ADE 2.0.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #303
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No, not ADE 3.0. ADE 2.0.1 is the latest version you should be using.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #304
Tim1979
Tim1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GLP
Barns and Noble "Support"

I just got off of a chat session with "support" at BN. for several minutes they tried to tell me that this was a problem at my local library and only they could fix it. The device could not be at fault. When I responded that it works on every other device I own including my first generation Nook, and that I have seen 2 forums including the BN forum where people had this problem, they quickly said "we know there is a problem with the update and we can't fix it right now. you will have to wait for another update."

When I asked for a refund on the defective product that they sold me they quoted the 14 day return policy to me. They didn't seem to care that during that 14 days their support people told me that this would be fixed "soon" and I shouldn't return it.

Moral of the story...never listen to BN support.
Tim1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #305
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1979 View Post
I just got off of a chat session with "support" at BN. for several minutes they tried to tell me that this was a problem at my local library and only they could fix it. The device could not be at fault. When I responded that it works on every other device I own including my first generation Nook, and that I have seen 2 forums including the BN forum where people had this problem, they quickly said "we know there is a problem with the update and we can't fix it right now. you will have to wait for another update."

When I asked for a refund on the defective product that they sold me they quoted the 14 day return policy to me. They didn't seem to care that during that 14 days their support people told me that this would be fixed "soon" and I shouldn't return it.

Moral of the story...never listen to BN support.
if you bought it in a store, you should try to return it. The return policy often gets lengthened this time of year because of the holidays. Pretty sure that kicks in during November.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #306
RShack
RShack began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, for me, the Glowlight Plus is just about perfect… now that I’ve fixed what’s wrong with it.

Courtesy of info posted on xda, mine now does great with Nova Launcher, Aldiko, Aldiko Sync, Dropbox, and Calibre Companion.

Oh, plus a utility that allowed me to turn short presses on the dang Home button into a very useful Go Back button, while requiring a long press to go Home.

I got it on sale for $99, plus used B&N's “Buy a $50 Gift Card and get a free $10 Gift Card” deal. At the time I bought it, the xda people didn’t have it quite sorted yet to do what I wanted, but I trusted that they would.

Bottom line: if you don’t mind screwing around with it a little bit, the hardware counts more than does the software.

Now, if only I could solder a microSD card inside the thing...

Last edited by RShack; 12-15-2015 at 05:45 AM.
RShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #307
RShack

My bride was using it, and she kept hitting the now-Go-Back button by accident... which isn't as bad as accidentally hitting the Home button... but still...

So, to help her with that, I changed Aldiko's setting to landscape instead of portrait, and that solved her problem...

When I next used it, it was still set that way... and despite my pro-portrait bias, I tried it for a while, just to see... and it seemed better... I swapped between the 2 orientations to see why... and for my hand, it just seems better balanced and easier to one-hand in landscape... in portrait, I'm always wishing the below-screen bezel was larger to provide a better place to grip... but in landscape, it's fine...

I think it's because it's better balanced in either orientation when your thumb's in the center, but in portrait that's where the button is (what were they thinking?)... in landscape, you not only can put your thumb in the center, but the now-Go-Back button is off to the right side where it never gets accidentally hit...

I've got large hands, so this might not work for everybody, but it works for me...

EDIT: Well, I lied... she's using it again and she managed to accidentally hit the button when she turned a page... but that hasn't happened to me...

Also, I think another reason why it seems better to hold it while in landscape is because your thumb is at the bottom and in landscape your thumb finds it less top-heavy than in portrait...

Last edited by RShack; 12-20-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #308
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
RShack...did you have to root your glowlight plus to get it so functional?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #309
djg000111
djg000111 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi original
I am a Mac user. Based on information posted in this thread, the new NOOK glowlight plus is not for me.
Thanks for the information.
djg000111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #310
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
That capacative home button on the Nook really is about the dumbest "feature" I've ever seen on any modern electronic device. I'm always accidentally hitting that.

I put a piece of adhesive backed felt on it and that helped but now there are times when I need to get back to the home screen and can't. I cut a hole in that felt piece so I can tap it on purpose but hopefully be less likely to tap it accidentally. The hole was less than 1/4" across but that's all it took to always be going back to the home screen again.

My next move will be to put a half adhesive backed felt pad over the button so it'll protect it but I can partly lift it out of the way if I really need to. I'm so mad at this device that I haven't done it yet. I really like this ereader except that that one terribly frustrating feature.

I have a feeling that button was designed by the same people who thought up B&N's customer service department. They're world class authorities on frustrating their customers and I think this might just be their best work.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:10 AM   #311
RShack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
RShack...did you have to root your glowlight plus to get it so functional?
I rooted it because I knew I wanted to use Aldiko Sync, and it requires root (unless you use an ancient version of Aldiko).

I rooted before trying anything else except Aldiko, so I don't know whether the other things require root or not.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #312
RShack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShack View Post
My bride was using it, and she kept hitting the now-Go-Back button by accident... which isn't as bad as accidentally hitting the Home button... but still...

So, to help her with that, I changed Aldiko's setting to landscape instead of portrait, and that solved her problem...

When I next used it, it was still set that way... and despite my pro-portrait bias, I tried it for a while, just to see... and it seemed better... I swapped between the 2 orientations to see why... and for my hand, it just seems better balanced and easier to one-hand in landscape... in portrait, I'm always wishing the below-screen bezel was larger to provide a better place to grip... but in landscape, it's fine...

I think it's because it's better balanced in either orientation when your thumb's in the center, but in portrait that's where the button is (what were they thinking?)... in landscape, you not only can put your thumb in the center, but the now-Go-Back button is off to the right side where it never gets accidentally hit...

I've got large hands, so this might not work for everybody, but it works for me...

EDIT: Well, I lied... she's using it again and she managed to accidentally hit the button when she turned a page... but that hasn't happened to me...

Also, I think another reason why it seems better to hold it while in landscape is because your thumb is at the bottom and in landscape your thumb finds it less top-heavy than in portrait...
Installing the Ultimate Rotation Control apk permits you to select "Reverse Portrait" which turns the display upside down... so that dang button is at the top instead of the bottom...

In addition to a global setting, it also permits you to force different orientations on an app-by-app basis...
Old 12-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #313
Tim1979

making sofware changes to the Nook

I'm new to making changes to the software on these kind of devices. I owned a first generation Nook and I didn't have to make any changes to it because it was a pretty good product. Now I'm stuck with a GLP ad it looks like I will need to put a little more creativity into this if I'm going to get my money's worth out of it. can someone point me to resources that explain, at a more beginner level, the changes that you guys are talking about and where to get the software?
thanks for the help.
Tim
Old 12-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #314
RShack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1979 View Post
I'm new to making changes to the software on these kind of devices. I owned a first generation Nook and I didn't have to make any changes to it because it was a pretty good product. Now I'm stuck with a GLP ad it looks like I will need to put a little more creativity into this if I'm going to get my money's worth out of it. can someone point me to resources that explain, at a more beginner level, the changes that you guys are talking about and where to get the software?
thanks for the help.
Tim
Different folks want different things. What's ideal and/or important to me might not be what's ideal and/or important to you.

Hard to say what you might want to do to it without you giving some clues about how it would ideally work for you... from your point of view, what might be crucial vs. what might be nice but not necessary, etc.

Last edited by RShack; 12-27-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #315
Tim1979

The only real issue I have with it at this point is the inability to sideload library books. I have purchased some BN books and some magazines so I want to still be able to access those but library books is the biggest issue. If in fixing that problem I was also able to fix the poorly designed N button I would consider that a bonus but I can probably live with it if it's a pain to fix.
Thanks.
Tim