Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
ihab7000
ihab7000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dear Joblack,
It reads on the pdf on my pc but when I convert them with mobireader it doesn't.Of course I do need the links so I create the links on the pdf but I cannot make my kindle read Arabic,Greek or Coptic ..these are the languages that I need
ihab7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihab7000 View Post
Dear Joblack,
It reads on the pdf on my pc but when I convert them with mobireader it doesn't.Of course I do need the links so I create the links on the pdf but I cannot make my kindle read Arabic,Greek or Coptic ..these are the languages that I need
Greek and Coptic are supported on K3 (Greek even on K2/DX). See sample of Coptic. Arabic is not, and I don't think a font hack would help (layout engine needs to handle BiDi and complex script for that).

If you are having problems converting Coptic and Greek, check the encoding of the source text. You might need to get it into UTF-8 (maybe with BOM) before it will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-9237.gif
Views:	320
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	61377  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
ihab7000
ihab7000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dear Tomsem,
Thx so much for your timely reply.would you plz direct me more.Is the "BOM" a program, a converter like the calibre or mobipocket? where can I get it?!
THXXXXXXXXXX
ihab7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihab7000 View Post
Dear Tomsem,
Thx so much for your timely reply.would you plz direct me more.Is the "BOM" a program, a converter like the calibre or mobipocket? where can I get it?!
THXXXXXXXXXX
Sorry, I lapsed into acronym-ese.

BOM is 'byte-order mark' - it is a small sequence of bytes at the start of a Unicode text file to identify the specific Unicode encoding used (UTF-8, UTF-16 big endian, UTF-16 little endian, UTF-32). Most text editors will let you specify whether or not to include this when you save the file. In theory, programs that accept Unicode text file input should read these bytes and use them to interpret the rest of the content properly. But some will assume it is a particular encoding and get confused by BOMs. So it may take some experimentation to discover what works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
m2b999
m2b999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My Kindle 3 support Arabic PDFs somwhat OK, except for long books or articles. MOBI format doesn't support Arabic at all since it display the letters as squares and questions marks. I have two days left to return my Kindle if it doesn't support Arabic at all.
m2b999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #21
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Arabic PDF books are supported by all E-Readers and all devices including mobile phones.
PDF is "Portable Document Format" and it's a graphic or text can be read by PDF reader engine included on the system.

So, if we speak about language support we speak about pure text files of this language.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #22
m2b999
m2b999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks Meem.

I didn't explain my issue very well and I'm sorry for that.

I'm aware that all E-Readers support PDF files and there is no issue displaying PDFs files in any language since they are pure picture scans of the documents (to make it simple )

My issue come when I convert Arabic books in ePub format to PDF through Calibre.

Some pages or paragraphs are totally missing, so I was confused why is that happening in my kindle where the converted PDF file is okay and all the pages are there!
m2b999 is offline   Reply With Quote