Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2024, 03:29 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Thanks. The ISBN is in the scroll box just below the initial description (and immediately above "Report an issue").
I noticed that but they show the same ISBN-13 for both versions (978-1491952023 for the Kindle edition and 978-1491952023 for paperback). This is incorrect since the ISBN is supposed to be unique to an edition which does include media. Kobo shows the ISBN-13 for their ePub3 edition as 978-1491951989.[/QUOTE]
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:12 PM   #17
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I do a price match via Kobo about once a month, and have for years now, and have never had them not honor it, simply based on the giving the URL of the Amazon ebook listing.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 09:25 PM   #18
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Well, this isn't starting out well. Bought it from kobo, tried to download it (to have backup on PC) and Windows Security quarantined it in multiple chunks which left me with a 1KB file which obviously isn't valid. Grrrr...maybe I should have booted into Linux instead??? Hopefully their ebooks don't really have malware!

Did manage to sync it down over wifi. Hopefully I can copy it to PC via usb later.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:21 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I do a price match via Kobo about once a month, and have for years now, and have never had them not honor it, simply based on the giving the URL of the Amazon ebook listing.
This is more or less my expierence, though I don't pice match as often. When I do, acceptance has been more or less automatic and hassle-free, and the credit in my account has often proved helpful.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:27 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Well, this isn't starting out well. Bought it from kobo, tried to download it (to have backup on PC) and Windows Security quarantined it in multiple chunks which left me with a 1KB file which obviously isn't valid. Grrrr...maybe I should have booted into Linux instead??? Hopefully their ebooks don't really have malware!
Never happened to me on any Windows computer I've used. Weird.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is how you go about price matching at Kobo UK.

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/p/pricematch-about
That's a foreign place across the sea. The Kobo Ireland has
Quote:
Unfortunately, this page is not available in your country.
it's as easy to travel to the USA. Maybe easier.
Georestrictions on anything are a pain, and stupid for digital content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:10 AM   #22
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind posting or linking your script? Thanks.
Yes, I put it on GitHub.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:14 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Did manage to sync it down over wifi. Hopefully I can copy it to PC via usb later.
I've never had Windows AV screw with an eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #24
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Yes, I put it on GitHub.
Would some kind soul give an example of how to run it to search for a specific book?
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:59 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Was the file extension .acsm?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:57 PM   #26
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Would some kind soul give an example of how to run it to search for a specific book?
Of course. Find a book on your favourite Kobo store. Copy the URL, and run the script with that URL as an argument.

eg. "https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-crystal-cave-1"

Code:
$ kobocompare https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-crystal-cave-1
India                £3.03 INR 315.400
Switzerland (French) £3.14 CHF 3.490
Austria              £4.72 EUR 5.490
Belgium (Dutch)      £4.72 EUR 5.490
Belgium (French)     £4.72 EUR 5.490
Cyprus               £4.72 EUR 5.490
Eire                 £4.72 EUR 5.490
Finland              £4.72 EUR 5.490
France               £4.72 EUR 5.490
Germany              £4.72 EUR 5.490
Greece               £4.72 EUR 5.490
Holland              £4.72 EUR 5.490
Italy                £4.72 EUR 5.490
Luxembourg           £4.72 EUR 5.490
Malta                £4.72 EUR 5.490
Portugal             £4.72 EUR 5.490
Slovak Republic      £4.72 EUR 5.490
Slovenia             £4.72 EUR 5.490
Spain                £4.72 EUR 5.490
UK                   £4.99 GBP 4.990
Turkey               £6.03 TRY 201.470
Australia            £6.62 AUD 12.990
New Zealand          £7.04 NZD 14.990
Norway               £7.42 NOK 100.190
Japan                £7.53 JPY 1388
South Africa         £7.90 ZAR 185.710
Malaysia             £7.90 MYR 46.790
Sweden               £8.16 SEK 113.300
Taiwan               £8.55 TWD 343.000
Brazil               £8.83 BRL 54.090
Singapore            £8.92 SGD 15.220
Hong Kong (Chinese)  £9.08 HKD 89.590
Hong Kong (English)  £9.08 HKD 89.590
Romania              £9.08 RON 52.170
Thailand             £9.12 USD 11.490
World-wide           £9.12 USD 11.490
Estonia              £9.36 EUR 10.890
Lithuania            £9.36 EUR 10.890
Poland               £9.66 PLN 50.280
Czech Republic       £9.88 CZK 277.410
Mexico               £10.84 MXN 228.000
Denmark              £11.05 DKK 95.860

Cheapest price is £3.03 in:
	India https://www.kobo.com/in/en/ebook/the-crystal-cave-1
Switzerland is often one of the cheapest stores, which seems very counter-intuitive.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:41 PM   #27
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Was the file extension .acsm?
No, it's .epub (no DRM). But it hadn't even finished downloading. The file that got quarantined was .part. Anyway, I later used kubuntu (I dual boot) to download and unzip it. Scanning the unzipped folder, Windows AV found nothing. But it still thinks the zipped epub has a trojan. Because it's an epub3 ? Because it's about javascript?

BTW, I got a credit of $14 from kobo, so that went well at least.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:40 AM   #28
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
No, it's .epub (no DRM). But it hadn't even finished downloading. The file that got quarantined was .part. Anyway, I later used kubuntu (I dual boot) to download and unzip it. Scanning the unzipped folder, Windows AV found nothing. But it still thinks the zipped epub has a trojan. Because it's an epub3 ? Because it's about javascript?

BTW, I got a credit of $14 from kobo, so that went well at least.
Perhaps it was triggered by it having another extension (.epub) yet actually being a zip file. That's a classic old school way used to trick someone into opening malware.

Other file formats are similar, eg Java jar files are just zips in disguise. I've seen AV software replace class files in jars with PDFs, which amazingly caused software to break

In this case though, whatever it was that interfered with your download needs to be taught about epubs.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:50 AM   #29
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is more or less my expierence, though I don't pice match as often. When I do, acceptance has been more or less automatic and hassle-free, and the credit in my account has often proved helpful.

You guys are so fortunate. I’ve stopped doing price matching because it’s such a hassle. Back and forth emails… demand for a screen shot… I’ve never had it be automatic.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:52 AM   #30
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Yes, I put it on GitHub.

Thanks for the link. I’ll be giving it a shot tonight.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote