Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2022, 07:39 PM   #16
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Within Calibre. Preferences > Plugins > Get new plugins Search for Modify ePub and you'll find it and can then install it.
Thanks.

@DNSB instructed me to "turn off all the options except Encode HTML in UTF-8". How do I do that? In other words, where do I find those options?

I looked under Calibre > Preferences > Plugins > Modify Epub > Customize Plugin, but it didn't see anything about encoding in UTF-8. It just asked me if I want to be prompted to save epubs.

I also looked under Calibre > Preferences > Output Options > Epub Output, but didn't see anything about encoding in UTF-8.

Also, once I change those options, how do I apply them to an existing epub?
A Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:28 PM   #17
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
I also looked under Calibre > Preferences > Output Options > Epub Output, but didn't see anything about encoding in UTF-8.

It's under Preferences > Common Options > Look & Feel > Text > Input Character Encoding

After you saved those settings. You can just convert your epub files to epub again.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 09:33 PM   #18
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Why bother? It's a waste of time. It's just easier to use Modify ePub to make sure the ePubs are set to UTF-8 and then send them to Amazon to convert.
Because that's not what you said. Your original reply to me imply that using Kindle Previewer 3 is NOT a valid solution to check for misencoded EPUB.

I have not disagree with you on using Modify EPUB.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:00 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks.

@DNSB instructed me to "turn off all the options except Encode HTML in UTF-8". How do I do that? In other words, where do I find those options?

I looked under Calibre > Preferences > Plugins > Modify Epub > Customize Plugin, but it didn't see anything about encoding in UTF-8. It just asked me if I want to be prompted to save epubs.

Select an epub, click on Modify Epub to open and you should be presented with this popup shown in the attached image. If you click on Help in Modify Epub's customization options or on the help link when you open Modify Epub, it will give you a bit more help.

Once you have set the options (the example image has only the Encode HTML in UTF-8 option checked, you would then click on OK. Modify Epub will modify the epub as requested, rename the original file as filename.original_epub and the modified file as filename.epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modify_Epub_options_UTF-8.png
Views:	114
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	198090  

Last edited by DNSB; 11-29-2022 at 12:06 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
Because that's not what you said. Your original reply to me imply that using Kindle Previewer 3 is NOT a valid solution to check for misencoded EPUB.

I have not disagree with you on using Modify EPUB.
It's poor compared to other epub checkers and limited on platform deployment. I now only use KDP via web and downloads from Amazon. Not had a problem with epubs to Amazon for years.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Every ePub I send to my Kobo is verifies with ePub check and the Calibre error checker.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
As someone who does the opposite (purchases AZW3 from Amazon and converts to ePub) I am no expert in this. So I may be missing something here.

But if you already have Calibre, why not use it to convert the ePub to AZW and sideload it to your Kindle via USB? Is there an advantage to emailing the book rather than sideloading it?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But if you already have Calibre, why not use it to convert the ePub to AZW and sideload it to your Kindle via USB? Is there an advantage to emailing the book rather than sideloading it?
Perhaps to make the ebook, reading progress, etc. available on more than one device/app?
Old 11-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps to make the ebook, reading progress, etc. available on more than one device/app?
I thought Kindle did that automagically with sideloaded content.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #25
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's poor compared to other epub checkers and limited on platform deployment. I now only use KDP via web and downloads from Amazon. Not had a problem with epubs to Amazon for years.
A lot of EPUB that passed epubcheck failed Kindlegen/Previewer 3. Of course, if you are authoring the EPUB yourself you already know what Amazon is expecting so your EPUB that passed epubcheck will work fine with KDP/Send to Kindle. (You can check what https://kindle-epub-fix.netlify.app/ does if you want to know the non-definitive list of what passed epubcheck but failed Send to Kindle --- there are even a few fixes I haven't have time to implement yet like multiple <dc:title>)

But the topic is about the regular user, who are consuming god know what EPUB from god know source. In that case, since the target platform is purely Amazon, then Kindle Previewer 3 is one of the best tool for the task.

Not to mentioned the original question just asked what tools to preview EPUB so that they know if it is mis-encoded. Which I was then told it was a poor solution, and I haven't have any explanation why it was a poor solution for previewing if the EPUB is mis-encoded. All I was told was that it is a poor tool for previewing line height (unrelated) , it was poor compared to other epub checker (again, unrelated), or it was unnecessary and just send re-encoded all EPUB.(which doesn't answer the original question). I agree with all of that, but it's not related to the original question I answered. I am still waiting for the explanation why my answer was wrong.

I will defend my answer which I believe is perfectly correct to the bitter end.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:11 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I thought Kindle did that automagically with sideloaded content.
Not with the content transferred via USB. Only with emailed/sent by Send-to-Kindle content. It must be on your Kindle account to be synced.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #27
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As a coupe other people have pointed out, the advantage of emailing your book is that it gets save to the Amazon cloud so that it's available on any device and the reading progress is tracked. That doesn't happen when you sideload a book via USB because it's not added to the Amazon cloud.

Anyway, every time I've tried to send an azw3 to my Kindle it's been rejected as an unsupported format. Which I realize makes no sense since that's the preferred format. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps I need to correct something in the Calibre settings, like the UTF-8 encoding I'm now doing with epub?
Old 11-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
As a coupe other people have pointed out, the advantage of emailing your book is that it gets save to the Amazon cloud so that it's available on any device and the reading progress is tracked. That doesn't happen when you sideload a book via USB because it's not added to the Amazon cloud.

Anyway, every time I've tried to send an azw3 to my Kindle it's been rejected as an unsupported format. Which I realize makes no sense since that's the preferred format. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps I need to correct something in the Calibre settings, like the UTF-8 encoding I'm now doing with epub?
The reason KF8 will not work with emailing to Amazon is that you can sync your purchased KF8 direct from Amazon. Amazon wants you to buy eBooks from them. So they won't support KF8 or KFX. ePub is something you cannot get from Amazon which is why they are supporting it even if not all that great a job doing so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:02 PM   #29
A Lurker
Connoisseur

Quote:
The reason KF8 will not work with emailing to Amazon is that you can sync your purchased KF8 direct from Amazon. Amazon wants you to buy eBooks from them. So they won't support KF8 or KFX. ePub is something you cannot get from Amazon which is why they are supporting it even if not all that great a job doing so.
That makes sense. I was going to suggest something along those lines, but I was afraid I was off-base.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:08 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Send to Kindle or email to Kindle do not support KF8/azw3 format. If you take a look at Learn About Sending Documents to Your Kindle Library, you won't find it on the list of supported formats. If you send an epub/docx/rtf/html, it will be converted to KF8/azw3 if the device it's sent to supports that format, for devices that don't support KF8/azw3, you will get a mobi format ebook.